FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Michigan jobless rate hits 16-year high at 9.3 percent
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Michigan jobless rate hits 16-year high at 9.3 percent

"Michigan's unemployment rate in October rose to 9.3 percent -- a 16-year high -- as the home of the beleaguered U.S. auto industry continued to shed manufacturing jobs, the state reported on Wednesday.

The new report comes as top executives from Detroit auto giants General Motors Corp, Ford Motor Company and Chrysler LLC testify before Congress for a second day on Wednesday, pleading for federal bailout money to stave off bankruptcy.

The state's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate rose from 8.7 percent in September and was well above the 7.5 percent rate recorded in October 2007, the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth said.

The national U.S. unemployment rate hit 6.5 percent in October -- its highest since March 1994.

Michigan's jobless rate last hit 9.3 percent in July 1992, said Bruce Weaver, the department's economic analyst.

While the state's job losses over the month were varied, Weaver said Michigan has lost 30,000 manufacturing jobs, including those in automotive industries, since October 2007"[/b]
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:26 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

That's okay maybe we can hit 30 percent like our grand parents and great grandparents had in the Depression.

I am wondering how I could live in my RV in the middle of the UP during the winter if my husband loses his job. I just love the thought of sending my children to a school system made up of white people only! *please note severe eyeroll*
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:14 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Not to worry the crime rate will than drop to practically zero like it was during the depression.Hey you got something against whitey??? Laughing As far as RV winter time living bank it up with bails of straw and take that bath when spring comes. Shocked Laughing

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:35 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Rich people with RV's will always have a place to live. Laughing

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

You know? This whole thing is scarier than h*ll. My dad was unemployed for a long time in the 1980's and I remember not having much if anything as a kid. 2 pairs of pants for the whole seventh grade, three shirts one pair of shoes and my aunt and grandma bought us food to eat to last one month, I remember my mom crying in the kitchen and my dad mysteriously absent for 4 hours (man thing).

I also remember filling sugar bags and other things for people less fortunate, yeah less fortunate than we were? Because we got free food we had to fill bags for others so the non-profit could distribute it to others. Thank God, my mom didn't make us sit through a sermon to get food!!

I have had to tell my kids NO a lot lately, I have NO problem with that at all they are learning a lot this year and good...that should build tons and tons of character!! But to be flat broke and not being able to feed my children like my parents? That scares the h*ll out of me.

I made a decision to stay at home with my kids for the last 11 years, but if I have to go back to work I will. I was mildly scared when my husband worked for EDS and he was on a month to month job basis, but the job market was better then....4 years ago.

I've applied for jobs and was basically told that I was too old...at 40? Over qualified for some and underqualified for others....<shrug>.

Dunno....gotta find my bootstraps mentally....oy.
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:04 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Been there, Andi. When I was a kid, we had a lot of suppers that consisted of a slice of bread with white flour gravy. Mom would scorch the gravy a bit to give it some "flavor". You & I survived then, we'll survive now.

40????? I guessed 32.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey Everybody HANG IN THERE this is America we will survive and come back.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:39 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:

I am wondering how I could live in my RV in the middle of the UP during the winter if my husband loses his job. I just love the thought of sending my children to a school system made up of white people only! *please note severe eyeroll*

You could move to the north end of Flint and send your kid to an almost all black school so they can have a taste of culture and diversity before you have to move. Houses in the north end of Flint are cheaper than RV's as well and you could save on heat by letting some homeless people move in.
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:24 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Now there is a plan. problem solved. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing That reminds me of the time my wifes sister who lives in a $300,000 house in grand rapids said she was considering letting a homeless person or 2 spend a few nights with her. Thankfully my Vietnam vet brother inlaw who has been around put an end to that idiotic deal. In case you haven't guessed my sister in law is a brain dead liberal. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:36 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Been there, Andi. When I was a kid, we had a lot of suppers that consisted of a slice of bread with white flour gravy. Mom would scorch the gravy a bit to give it some "flavor". You & I survived then, we'll survive now.

40????? I guessed 32.

Okay, I guess you are right. Wow....if you complained did you get bread without gravy? I am reminded of a barber quartet song with that last line.Smile Duly noted...

Yeah, actually 40 in 4 months...I call myself the antique collector since my husband is 3.5 years older than me. He's getting me back and how. Thanks for the compliment. Wink
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:57 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Michigan hit 16.9 percent in November 1982 so compared to then we're doing good but we'll have to wait and see what "change" Obama can bring.
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:41 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

gee adam. the north side sounds pretty bleak.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

actually i know many fine families with fine children in nice homes
on the north side. interesting. who have you been listening too? Cool
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:48 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

By north end I meant north end in Flint. I guess I should stop driving around and reading news reports.

Flint ranked in a fifth-place tie with Kalamazoo for the highest poverty rates among cities nationwide with at least 65,000 residents. Bloomington, Ind., had the highest rate of poverty at 41.6 percent.

In addition since I'm single and not well off by my standards perhaps you can explain how the majority of Flint residents many of them are supporting families on less than what I make are doing that great.
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:41 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

look dude, come out the clouds.
what you call poverty is and has been a way of life for many.
perhaps if you got out of your car and met some of the people you'd
have a better idea of what exactly is going on.

another thing life and experience will teach you is the fact money isn't
everything. i've known and still know people considered "rich" who would
give it all away simply to be loved and appreciated. thus is the strength
of family. yes, cash is nice but love is everlasting. thats how those people
you love to look down upon live happier than you do. it's not always about
facts and figures. sometimes it's about love. Cool Cool Cool Wink Cool Cool Cool
Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:33 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

For as many har working people we have in Genesee county I do not think we should have the level of poverty we do. I also do not find it acceptible that Flint has been run into the ground.

Money isn't everything but it is used for things like buying food. I think its very sad how much suffering we have here in Flint. It's one thing for adults to suffer but you're the moron if you think a food stamp diet is adequate for children. I don't think I need to go on the food stamp budget to realize that food stamp recipients are not eating well.

I dunno call me greedy but I'd almost rather be hated and unapperciated than to spend my life on the food stamp diet.

I do consider myself a right wing extremist but I might have tried to boost the budget on foodstamps.

Although you may be somewhat content with the conditions in Flint I am not!

Who's in the clouds? Maybe you should spend a month or two on the food stamp diet and eat a few packs of those 99 cent hot dogs and then tell me how things are all fine and dandy in Flint.
Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:59 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: