FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: City help for mayor's wife worth probing, if done fairly

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Wednesday, July 26, 2006
Was a Flint park spiffed up, including special painting, to assist the state Senate campaign of Patsy Lou Williamson, the mayor's wife? There's certainly an appearance that this was done, which makes other accusations of city employees forced to perform campaign duties for her during work hours worth investigating.

Unfortunately, this matter is so rife with politics and ill will that it promises to further poison the atmosphere at City Hall, no matter what's discovered in a probe the City Council has undertaken.

Evidence of this mistrust is the council deciding to investigate the administration on its own, rather than refer the accusations to new city Ombudsman Brenda Purifoy, a retired Flint police sergeant. While this would seem the obvious course, the council apparently doesn't think she's up to the task, if one accepts the rationale of Councilman Scott Kincaid. That doesn't say much about the council's faith in the city watchdog, whom its members appointed and can remove as well.

However, what's being investigated, for the moment, is more important than who's doing it. And here it's difficult to buy completely Mayor Don Williamson's explanation that there is nothing suspicious about the grooming of Woodlawn Park in the E. Court Street area just prior to a picnic Patsy Lou hosted there last week as part of her effort to win the Democratic nomination in the 27th Senate District.

While the timing might be excused, it's hard to overlook that a slide and swing set there were painted blue and gold and green and white, respectively, which fit the picnic's theme: Michigan vs. Michigan State. In fact, a mayoral supporter and picnic organizer corroborated the claim of special treatment, saying she lobbied for sprucing up the park and the paint job in UM-MSU colors.

Couple this episode with reports of city employees alleging they were ordered to put up campaign signs and distribute leaflets for the mayor's wife, and there's sufficient grounds for an investigation. The fact that it apparently will start only two weeks before the Aug. 8 primary can't be helped. Ideally, the basic truth about the allegations would be known before voting. But if this is not possible, the process minimally must be scrupulously fair, for at the very least reputations are on the line - if not a great deal more.
http://www.mlive.com/columns/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1153921847276280.xml&coll=5
Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

What I find interesting about this article is that no one signed it.
http://www.mlive.com/columns/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1153921847276280.xml&coll=5
Mr., Snell gave credibility to the Pie Lady. When she had no authority or real influence into what anything should or could be painted. this reeks of a Journal collaboration with the Mayor to cover up what really happened.

It's interesting also that Mr. Gonzales was quoted as saying "..it's political". Which makes me wonder about why he would think it ever was. is that where his thoughts are. that had never crossed my mind as I do not think my candidate has a snow balls chance in Hell of getting elected. Nor, do I believe that I am a "Get Don for any reason" or "Anyone but Patsy Lou" Person either.

I supported the investigation because I'm just plain stupid! I Just don't get it! See for some silly reason I believe that everybody should be accountable to the same LAWS! If the Law says I cannot use city resources for personal or Campaign reasons. Then neither should the Mayor be able to. Maybe it's because I don't understand that when Elected officials are asked to be held accountable for their actions, that because they are a rich politician, They don't have to follow the same laws that say everyone else does. So because they are a politician and I the Average citizens demands accountability, that this is a Political Ploy! God Forbid that politicians have to follow the same laws everyone else does! If they don’t have to follow the laws why have them? Why should anyone else have to follow any laws? Yeah, it’s political! Politicians should not be rewarded for violating the Law.
Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: