FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint Generals should retire No. 25 for Darren McCarty

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Flint Generals should retire No. 25 for Darren McCarty
by Brendan Savage | The Flint Journal
Wednesday June 04, 2008, 9:40 AM
FLINT, Michigan --- Five numbers currently hang from the rafters of Perani Arena.

It's time to add another --- No. 25 in honor of Darren McCarty.

Now before anyone loses their mind and says that's a ridiculous idea, hear me out.

McCarty only played 11 games for the Flint Generals last season before moving up the pro hockey ladder. And his statistics weren't anything to get excited about. He had three goals, three assists, a minus-3 rating and 30 penalty minutes.

Darren McCarty
Heck, his most memorable moment was probably the Claude Lemieux-type beating he laid on Kalamazoo's Travis Granbois after Granbois whacked him with his stick.

It's what McCarty did after he left Flint that is so noteworthy.

When he left the Generals and signed with the American League's Grand Rapids Griffins, McCarty bagged a hat trick in his home debut for the Griffins. After 13 games in Grand Rapids, McCarty's journey back to the NHL was completed when the Detroit Red Wings signed him near the end of the season.

McCarty could have started his comeback somewhere else, but he didn't. He chose Flint.

So there's no denying the Generals played a huge role in helping get McCarty back onto the ice with the world's best players.

McCarty spoke often about how much he enjoyed his stint in Flint and wasn't shy about saying he would have been willing to play for the Generals in the playoffs if the Wings were upset in the first round.

Fortunately for McCarty, the Wings didn't lose in the first round. Or the second or third or fourth.

As everyone knows by now, the Red Wings beat the Pittsburgh Penguins to win their 11th Stanley Cup --- the fourth with McCarty on the roster.

That alone is enough reason to raise No. 25 to the Perani Arena rafters.

After all, how many teams in the history of the Colonial-turned-United-turned-International Hockey League have had a player start the season on their team, reach the NHL and win the Stanley Cup?

The answer is none.

And the odds of it ever happening again are about a gazillion-to-one.

There's no doubt McCarty would return to Flint for the ceremony. He came back even after signing with the Wings, signing autographs before dropping the ceremonial first puck one night. He was genuinely grateful the Generals gave him the opportunity to get back on the ice after almost a year.

If they retire No. 25, the Generals could ask Mayor Don Williamson to declare it Darren McCarty Day in Flint. They could even put in a request (ASAP) with the Hockey Hall of Fame to have the Stanley Cup at Perani Arena when McCarty's jersey goes up alongside Kevin Kerr's No. 20.

Heck, Red Wings teammate Kris Draper might even be persuaded to attend since he's one of the Generals owners.

If ever there was a no-brainer, this is it. It would be a great public-relations move for the Generals, one that would pack the arena and almost surely draw them attention throughout the hockey world.

Get it done Generals.

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

The next Flint Generals home game is Thursday October 30, 2008!

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Gumby
F L I N T O I D

Stupid idea to retire Darren McCarty's number.
Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:40 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: