FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Stuff going on in Flint & nobody comments?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

John Carpenter appointed Transportation Director. One dissenting vote - Sims.

Council meetings go from paper airplanes & Raid to verbal altercation & arrest.

Neithercut rules on budget.

Nobody cares any more?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Furnitureguy
F L I N T O I D

ive lived in that city for 3 years and found over that time there is only a group of about 100, to no more than 125 people in the city, that actually care about it. These are the same people doing clean ups, going to city council to try and cut through the red tape etc, do gooders. Of that 125 people, only about 75 are sincere. The remaining have very large egos, and seem only to be looking for credit and accolades for their community efforts. These same people will continue to argue and fight a project if they cannot put their "seal" on it. One can only look to Flinttalk.com and urbanflint.com to see the amount of members, I am not sure of the numbers, however I believe neither one of them has over 30 members at any given time. And to see the difference from flint to detroit just check out www.detroityes.com where there are hundreds of members posting and reading and have general concern for their city. I have decided Flint is pathetic!
Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:39 pm 
yaryrret
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Furnitureguy schreef:
ive lived in that city for 3 years and found over that time there is only a group of about 100, to no more than 125 people in the city, that actually care about it. These are the same people doing clean ups, going to city council to try and cut through the red tape etc, do gooders. Of that 125 people, only about 75 are sincere. The remaining have very large egos, and seem only to be looking for credit and accolades for their community efforts. These same people will continue to argue and fight a project if they cannot put their "seal" on it. One can only look to Flinttalk.com and urbanflint.com to see the amount of members, I am not sure of the numbers, however I believe neither one of them has over 30 members at any given time. And to see the difference from flint to detroit just check out www.detroityes.com where there are hundreds of members posting and reading and have general concern for their city. I have decided Flint is pathetic!

As you may be
Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:09 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Furnitureguy schreef:
One can only look to Flinttalk.com and urbanflint.com to see the amount of members, I am not sure of the numbers, however I believe neither one of them has over 30 members at any given time. And to see the difference from flint to detroit just check out www.detroityes.com where there are hundreds of members posting and reading and have general concern for their city. I have decided Flint is pathetic!

MLIVE forums are pretty active and a lot of people comment on Flint Journal stories .

I think we have enough people who care but caring doesn't equal results.
Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:53 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

What's the use?

We're Broke.

Until we get rid of all the loonies at City Hall, the Mayor and the Council, nothing is going to change.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

OK, lets all just give up.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Not giving up....

Just directing action to other places....

Collecting petitions for and supporting the Recall...

Talking with a group next Monday about Charter Reform...

Talking with block clubs in my area about ways to effectuate positive change in our neighborhoods....

Adopting the park at the end of my street and cleaning it weekly....

Working to ensure that there is a new City Council next year that actually will fight to keep spending under control....
Post Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

Hey Josh, I hope you don't want to reform the charter towards a council-manager type thing, are you?
Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:20 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Pachuco schreef:
Hey Josh, I hope you don't want to reform the charter towards a council-manager type thing, are you?

No, no, no.... I think that our form of government is a good system... there just needs to be some tweaking...

The only problem that we currently have is the folks that we elected to the job, both Mayor and Council aren't up to it.
Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:19 am 
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

Oh ok that's cool. I think we need a more specific charter and the council does need a little more power. Like for example, the Chief Legal Officer should require council approval. Also, if the mayor position is vacant, the council president should assume power.
Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:24 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: