FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint 'faire's well in big screen production

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Flint 'faire's well in big screen production
by Sally York | The Flint Journal
Thursday September 18, 2008, 12:51 PM

Bruce Edwards | The Flint Journal
The production crew from "All's Faire in Love" films a scene at Atwood Stadium in Flint on Wednesday.
FLINT, Michigan -- Hollywood seems to be developing a thing for Flint.

The limelight returned this week with filming Tuesday and Wednesday for "All's Faire in Love" creating chaotic scenes around Atwood Stadium, Mott Community College and the Mott Foundation building.

Lines of cable snaked out from equipment trucks, which sat near wardrobe and makeup trailers, and catering vans that filled half the parking lot at the stadium. Cameras were positioned on the turf. A giant bounce board deflected spotlights trained on the football players. Shouts of "Final rehearsal!" and "Cut!" rang out as crew members crisscrossed the field, talking into their headsets. Despite the total lack of security, only a couple of spectators wandered in.

"Everything is just interesting," said college student Zac Neidzielski, 23, of Davison snapped photos next to a fence at the edge of the set. "This is the first time I've been on a movie set. It's quite an experience."

Flint Journal extras
Extra, extra

• Want to be an extra in "All's Faire in Love," a romantic comedy that's being made in the Flint area? Come to the Renaissance Festival Saturday, or on the following two Saturdays during festival hours 10 a.m.-7 p.m., preferably in period costume.
The Flint scenes were a sudden and unexpected offshoot for the film that is mostly centered on action at the Renaissance Festival in Groveland Township

A movie crew shot the Genesee County Patriots as players made the same pass play over and over at Atwood Stadium Wednesday morning. They were led by the team's "quarterback" -- actor Owen Benjamin of "House Bunny" fame.

Four hours later, it was a wrap.

Besides Benjamin, comedian Cedric the Entertainer was on the set, while Ann-Margret sat in a trailer in the parking lot getting her hair and makeup done. The only co-star missing was Christina Ricci, who wasn't in the Atwood Stadium scene.

Movie-making in Flint is becoming a Hollywood habit. Scenes in Will Ferrell's "Semi-Pro" were filmed here last year, and for the next five weeks it's "All's Faire," a romantic comedy produced by L.A.-based Duke of York Pictures.

A third movie will begin filming in Flint in November, said Jerry Preston, president of the Flint Area Convention & Visitors Bureau, adding that he can't yet reveal details.

Preston estimated that the "All's Faire" production -- in which a college professor (Cedric) forces failing Benjamin to take a job at the Renaissance Festival, where he falls for coworker Ricci -- will generate $10 million for the local economy.

Great for Flint, but what's drawing film companies to this "faire" city? One reason is they receive a tax incentive from the state of Michigan.

But film industry types also seem to like Flint. Yes, they like us; they really, really like us.

"I think it's really beautiful," said Benjamin, still perspiring from the football scene. " We don't get seasons in L.A. I just wish there were a few more bars open after 10 o'clock."

Cedric said he grew up in a smaller town in Missouri that reminds him of Flint.

"It feels like that, like I'm in a nice, cozy environment," he said.

"I love Flint," echoed Ron Singer, producer of "All's Faire." "Aside from the fact that people are friendly, we found everything we need here, and that's a big deal for an independent film company."

Singer, with Preston's assistance, found a fancy boardroom he needed on the fifth floor of the Mott Foundation Building on Saginaw Road; a classroom at Mott Community College, where the crew shot scenes Wednesday afternoon; and a football field at Atwood.

Most of the movie will be shot at the Renaissance Festival.

"Ultimately, we came here because of the fair," Singer said. "It's got to be one of the best in the country."

The producer invited area residents interested in being extras to show up at the Renaissance Festival this Saturday, or on the next two Saturdays during festival hours, preferably in period costume.

About 40 people on the 60-person movie crew are from the Flint and Detroit areas, Singer said. One is Mike Bonner of Detroit, a comedian who is a stand-in for Cedric in "All's Faire."

"This is a great thing for me," said Bonner, who has performed at The Whiting. "It's cool to see the film industry coming to Michigan."

Jack McQuisten of Monroe was hired to head the crew's hair department and serve as the personal stylist for Ann-Margret, who is playing the Queen of the Renaissance Festival to Cedric's Silent Knight.

Margret did not appear on the set Tuesday, but McQuisten assured that the 67-year-old actress, singer and dancer is a knockout.

"She's still gorgeous," McQuisten said. "You could pick her out in a crowd. She reeks sex."

Brad Lyon of Flushing, co-owner of the Patriots, has a small role in the film and showed Benjamin how to throw a football. His girlfriend, Anna Dutcher of Flushing, is a cheerleader for the team in the movie and in real life.

"I expected people to be so rude," Dutcher said. "You know, movie stars, snappy. But it's been very laid-back."

"It's an all-inspiring experience to be around so much talent," Lyon said.

Even Flint Downtown Development Authority Chief Operating Officer Larry Ford snagged a role, on Preston's recommendation. Singer was looking for a man who looked like a financial executive, and Ford fit the bill.

It took five hours to film Ford's scene with Ricci in the Mott Foundation building Tuesday, he said. Makeup and hair personnel gave him the full treatment.

"It made me feel like a star," Ford said.

Post Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I like the quote: "I expected people to be rude...." I keep screaming that they're just like regular people!!

Post Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:26 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: