FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Kathy Ellwood for Flint Board of education
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Flint isn't going to move forward until we educate our kids better. We need new buildings, more educated teachers! We need parents to be active in their kids education as well.

I am a REALTOR and everyday someone tells me " Anywhere but Flint!". I always ask in curiousity?? Why not Flint?? They always reply " Cause I don't want my kids going to Flint Schools".

They never respond with living next to someone of another color, or lack of city services, or because the political climate, or lack of jobs. Its always because of the poor school system!

I believe we need to focus on our schools, the best school systems in the country have higher property values. More educated people mean more jobs, less crime, less drugs etc.

I think we need to start hiring the best canidate, rather than the one who fits a certain race, color, sex, or who is a friend of someones!

When I have kids I want to send them to Flint Community Schools.
Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

EXACTLY!!! Why do parents not like FLINT Schools? Because they are scared of other kids hurting their kids. Lack of values, how to behave taught at home. The schools can not teach Character Ed, Feed, Provide dental, eye exams and also have funds to teach the Three R's. Disipline takes the majority of the day!

What is the largest cause of jail overcrowding? Lack of Education. Many in the County jail have a fifth grade education. educate or incarcerate- how best to use your funds?

Flint Schools do have excellent programs. Quit lifting students that have not mastered the basics. In school suspensions for disipline problems not free days at home while expelled.

It will take a team, parents, community and educators to make the needed changes. Some changes are on the right track. We need Ed funding reform? Use the per pupil funding wisely instead of ..../beautiful new admin office furniture...throwing brand new books in the trash for new program books. LONG RANGE PLAN!!! Above all make parents feel safe to send a child to FCS.
Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:48 pm 
ellwoodflint

excellent my friend...you are right. People do fear safety upmost when they are outside looking in, but has flint been on the news with school shootings no......., bomb threats no....im not saying things haven't happened but they are hidden well. so where are the outsiders getting there negativity from? our parents? media concerning the city in general? im sorry
to sound hateful because im angry about a wasted recall on the board, but this city has a habit of wanting instant gratification and a narrow vision of just me, just mine. we lash out when we are angry because we dont get what we want when we want it, and with out getting the facts first we cause more harm than good, because its easier for us...im very grumpy and appologize if ive offended anyone, but its true.
lets jump from the pan to fire and so on and so on...
Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:54 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

So which one/ones of you three are going to run? Talk is cheap. If you really care about Flint schools you should get on the board. You can talk all you want about what we need to do but unless you're on the board you're not the one who makes the decisions.

All three of you would be great candidates although it would be a very tough race to run. Hopefully the legendary Hater & Hatter team would help you out.
Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:12 pm 
ellwoodflint

yes adam
talk is cheap, when was the last time you spent 1 full day in an actual school building? dont worry, neither has most of the district other than a few parents at pta that have been there forever. Have you read the final draft of the plan in the district? Most dont care there too angry. I dont support nor do i fight battles that do more harm than good, over half of this board hasnt been here a year. with any experience in how (any ) big system works, its not as easy as the media would make it. Also, 2 were just now seated,, they werent even here when Milton was elected. these parents didnt realize they couldnt pull milton so they are pulling the board out of anger, not facts. That is what frustrates me.
Talk is cheap, I go to school with my kids and come home with them. I spend every day in our buildings. not just my childs, I believe there are more constructive ways of helping our kids than showing them that we dont respect the system. that we act out of anger instead of facts and that we only have to care about our school alone. Most who are angry have been touched by the changes and don't like it. So you are right, the admin and board have to make desicions for an entire district and ALL students to achieve, so lets just start all over again until we get the people who will do for us alone.
li beleive in making options for change and improvement . and yes it can be done if you are willing to do it, but no=one much is anymore...
we ousted our past mayor..spent time, money etc well, he found a group that he says yes to so where is he now? parents are looking for the same concept. Rapunzel knows this to be true, we dont agree on all issues regarding our schools, but she can tell you about how you react can help or hurt our kids. Im not saying there anger isnt justified, i just think that until you are prepared with the facts, how are you really doing something good, dont know, because we dont have the facts. this is why this city goes in circles all the time.
Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:53 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Terry Bankert [trb] response to Ellwood [e]

First could you create spaces so this is easier to read.

[e]yes adam
talk is cheap, when was the last time you spent 1 full day in an actual

school building? dont worry, neither has most of the district other than a few

parents at pta that have been there forever.

[trb] Working parents or those without children still have a right to

participate in school issues at expect elected leaders to be informed.

[e]Have you read the final draft of the plan in the district? Most dont care

there too angry.

[trb] A requirement to political participation is not readingm school

documents, thats for leaders such as your self.

[e]I dont support nor do i fight battles that do more harm than good, over

half of this board hasnt been here a year. with any experience in how

(any ) big system works, its not as easy as the media would make it.

[trb] we all agree

[e]Also, 2 were just now seated,, they werent even here when Milton was

elected. these parents didnt realize they couldnt pull milton so they are

pulling the board out of anger, not facts.

[trb] Leadership will / could build parent support with clear digestable

information

[e]That is what frustrates me.

Talk is cheap, I go to school with my kids and come home with them. I

spend every day in our buildings. not just my childs, I believe there are

more constructive ways of helping our kids than showing them that we dont

respect the system. that we act out of anger instead of facts and that we

only have to care about our school alone.

[trb] The logic here is that everyone should shut up that does not have

your level of school contact and information. I suggest you lead, we are all

hoping you will. Adam is a messenger of community discontent with the

school. You are disagreeing with the messenger.

[e]Most who are angry have been touched by the changes and don't like it.

So you are right, the admin and board have to make desicions for an entire

district and ALL students to achieve, so lets just start all over again until we

get the people who will do for us alone.

l beleive in making options for change and improvement . and yes it can

be done if you are willing to do it, but no=one much is anymore...

[trb] We are lookign for change. I have never said I understand

educational theory, I leave that to Great Schools, rap and you. But I do

know how to identify a dysfunctional public agency. the indicator is lack of

public trust. that lack of trust is todays reality caused by Milton and the

Board. They need to fix it.

[e]we ousted our past mayor..spent time, money etc well, he found a group

that he says yes to so where is he now? parents are looking for the same

concept. Rapunzel knows this to be true, we dont agree on all issues

regarding our schools, but she can tell you about how you react can help or

hurt our kids. Im not saying there anger isnt justified, i just think that until

you are prepared with the facts, how are you really doing something good,

dont know, because we dont have the facts. this is why this city goes in

circles all the time.

[trb]I agree. How do we educate the community?
Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ellwood flint

good morning Terry

Thank- you for breaking things down. In the same concept that those who

do not understand lash out, those who work and put alot of effort in our

system feel just as strongly. Im afraid I fall into that category. Any parent

that is willing to learn the system can easily do so. I am example of that

unfortunately i had every intention of sitting on the board so i have made

it a priority to go deep. part of this roundtable is to educate the parents

actually its the biggest part. until they know where accountability lies, and

what to fight for and against, we get the same results. inconsistency

because of 1 desicion made, all but 2 members were listed to be outed

im sorry, i havent seen change in many years, if we are gonna do this and

start over than pull them all without bias and start fresh, dont leave a few to teach old habits

we havent had a consistent board in almost 8 years, they only have the final say and to be honest, its because most are new and back door politics that most things are half done before they are even taken to the board.

they are ousted so often they are not given time to learn anything and follow those who are popular and experienced.

There is no consistency here, that is why things are always in a flux. There is never

enough time to see any real results to see if we are doing well or not.

my biggest issue is that this type of behavior and negative attitude as a

result of lack of effort on our part is why our kids see so much negative and lack respect for the educational system

if they want milton gone, they should rally signatures and as a whole

come to the board asking for his resignation. It would be nice if we actually knew why they were angry, its not just the anthony

thing,and its not just milton they dont like change. its hard for me too

but it wont happen overnight so is the end result best for our kids? these are the questions people should be asking themselves first,

its not popular, i know to look past the hype and stay focused on the bottom line, you have to look back and forward at the same time and

make sure the path is still going in the right direction. whats best for the kids in the end? (the whole district, not just mt school)

or is it more important that im mad now?

if you can answer those questions that i ask myself everyday to stay on track with honesty, maybe we would see things a little different.

by the way over the past 10 years we have fired 3 supers and have had to pay them off
we dont have that kind of money right now and then we will get to start all over again.

to appease as opposed to making hard choices we'll be back at the beggining . ive seen this over and over,

im sorry ive come across confrontational, i get frustrated too.

we are a public school district, anything we do can be learned, just ask the questions, ask for the info and you will get it.

i walk into the admin and request info all the time, i dont

have to foia, they WANT me to understand, so i can be a contributer, not a fighter,

The issue is, does anyone really want to take the time to know? Im just a parent who gave a darn and wanted to make good choices for my kids..

Im not a college grad with a BA etc. Its really not a big secret like some want to make it out to be.

Lets try somthing, Ask any question, if i dont know the answer ill show you how easy it is to get it.
Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:08 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I was in Flint Central for a while. I really like their library. Kathy I'm more of a compassionate conservative. To me its not the problems in our schools our the shape their in that matters. It's getting people like you, Rapunzel and Eashoo in position to fix these problems. I believe to fix Flint schools we need the right people on the board to fix Flint schools and not more community meetings.

I personally could probably not run for council or school board until I'm much older because I don't have the patience. Even at mayor I could not do more than 2 terms and in the second term I'd probably start running for govornor. lol Also it's quite clear to me that the 1 position to make positive changes in this city would be mayor. That way I could try and make it difficult for Rap, Eashoo and Ellwood to refuse to run for the school board. lol I'm also not a huge fan of public education. If I relied on what I learned in public school and college I'd consider myself an idiot. I've learned more on the internet than I did at UM Flint.

I plan to annouce at the first council meeting after I'm allowed to file to run. Filing, announcing and running won't mean anything though if I don't have supporters to help me get 1,000+ petitions.
Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:57 am 
Don

If the dude looks like a lady, he proably is one!
Adam give it up, The GOP is dead, and fading fast.
President bush is a war criminal, and Hillary Clinton will
be president in 2008.

I say screw Rap, and Ryan Eashoo and Kathy Ellwood. They are has
beens, and have nots. Its time to elect real people, people for the people
elected by da people
Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:32 am 
ellwoodflint

im sorry " don "
do we know each other well enough for you to make such a bold statement

about who i am? If so, please let me know because i do not think so.

i dont have anything to do with rep or dems, im here about schools. Tell me

what do you do with yourself other than slam people who make an effort

because they care?

Adam, do you know this person?
Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:37 pm 
ellwoodflint

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
I was in Flint Central for a while. I really like their library. Kathy I'm more of a compassionate conservative. To me its not the problems in our schools our the shape their in that matters. It's getting people like you, Rapunzel and Eashoo in position to fix these problems. I believe to fix Flint schools we need the right people on the board to fix Flint schools and not more community meetings.

I personally could probably not run for council or school board until I'm much older because I don't have the patience. Even at mayor I could not do more than 2 terms and in the second term I'd probably start running for govornor. lol Also it's quite clear to me that the 1 position to make positive changes in this city would be mayor. That way I could try and make it difficult for Rap, Eashoo and Ellwood to refuse to run for the school board. lol I'm also not a huge fan of public education. If I relied on what I learned in public school and college I'd consider myself an idiot. I've learned more on the internet than I did at UM Flint.

I plan to annouce at the first council meeting after I'm allowed to file to run. Filing, announcing and running won't mean anything though if I don't have supporters to help me get 1,000+ petitions.

...........................................................................................................
Adam, we all run out of patience now and then. I think that just means

you care. Patience is definitely a must though to be on any group in the lead because you get crazies and morons as well as those who really care.
i have spent so much time with these kids.
public education is a must, or many of these students would have nothing.

unfortunately the schools have had to make up what many lack teaching at home. its hard to juggle so many major issues for a balance in life for these kids and they do it out of heart, but it puts alot of pressure on teachers, all building staff and funding.

i agree its not the building conditions etc that are the priority, but the kids are and sometimes that is forgotten in all the hype. whats best and whats easiest aren't always the same
Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:47 pm 
Don

quote:
ellwoodflint schreef:
im sorry " don "
do we know each other well enough for you to make such a bold statement

about who i am? If so, please let me know because i do not think so.

i dont have anything to do with rep or dems, im here about schools. Tell me

what do you do with yourself other than slam people who make an effort

because they care?

Adam, do you know this person?

I know you publically, i know you because your always talking about Flint Schools, but do nothing to help the problems.

Same with Rap, and Eashoo.
Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:24 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Do you know anyone let's a little less patient about the problems facing Flint schools and ready to run? NYC should be thankful that Giuliani was very impatient when he started dealing with it's problems. I'm not questioning you're heart but if you did get the guts to run for school board and didn't have a clue of what you should do on the board I do have some ideas for improving schools (now) if you don't.
Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:20 pm 
ellwoodflint

Ryan, I have ran for the board, and oly lost by 84 votes. Since then I have applied for empty seats but they won't choose me, i have to be elected.
I didnot apply, for the first on the last round because i wasnt sure id be living here due to my husbands job.
i do want you to think about somthing if you are going to run for office.
Being in charge isnt always what makes a difference, there are many different people who live in this city and not all have the same priorities,
Just because im not in the headlines doesnt mean i don't make a difference. not everyone can be the leader, and with out all those doing the work, the leaders dont have a chance.
there are alot of people who are doing things important to better this community and its schools, they just arent recognized because they care about what they are doing, not the drama or the spotlight for doing it.
its thse people who vote and those who will decide things. you should keep that in mind since you are a talking leader as opposed to a voting doer.
everyone has ideas, you dont need a candidate to educate on the subject. if they are truely your beliefs, do somthing about it. I am.
Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:41 pm 
ellwoodflint

[quote="

I know you publically, i know you because your always talking about Flint Schools, but do nothing to help the problems.

Same with Rap, and Eashoo.[/quote]

Mr Don,

I'm sorry but you do not know me then. If you were half educated in our school system than you would know that I do alot more than talk. You would also see that most of my replies are done in an answer to somthing that has to do with schools. I am not all over this site making random remarks about every subject matter here. What I do is very important to me .
You may ask anyone involved in this district about me or you may ask me anything you want about this district and I will reply, but until you get your facts straight and actually have somthing constructive to say or ask i think that you do yourself an injustice by making nasty remarks and observations with no fact base. Everyone has an opinion mr don, but if you choose to make them about individuals you do not know, you show your own ignorance.
Let me know if you have somthing intelligent to share or ask, if not please do not make public opinion of me as you do not know me. thank-you
Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:55 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: