FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Kathy Ellwood for Flint Board of education
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

Unfortunately I work ever Wednesday so I can't go down to the boar meeting to do my lobbying.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-38/1153574432136020.xml&coll=5

FLINT - Seven people, including two who made unsuccessful bids for the Flint Board of Education in the past, have applied for a vacant board seat, the Flint School District said Friday.

The seat was vacated after former board President Marvin "Skip" Harbin resigned earlier this month.

Those vying for the seat are:

Eleazar D. Barzart, a Northern High School graduate, bail bondsman and radio personality. Barzart was among the applicants for the city of Flint ombudsman post this spring and also ran unsuccessfully for the city's 2nd Ward council seat last year.

Dr. Michael D. Cross, a Southwestern High School graduate and veterinarian who owns a vet clinic in Grand Blanc Township. He also is a Baker College administrator.

Timothy G. Curtis, graduate of The Flint Academy and a mortgage originator.

Kathy Ellwood, a homemaker and graduate of The Flint Academy who ran unsuccessfully for the board in 2003 and 2005. She also applied for vacant seats in 2004 and 2005.

David D. Halboth, a Central High School graduate and program manager for Northwood University, who was a Flint ombudsman finalist this spring.

Erica Leverette, a Northwestern High School graduate and community coordinator for a faith-based nonprofit organization.

Patrick L. Ryals Sr., a retired Buick skilled tradesman and Northern High School graduate who ran for the board in 2001 and lost.

The board has 20 days to make its appointment and final candidates will be interviewed in public. The person selected will serve until the May 2007 School Board

election.
Post Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:24 pm 
SueEllen

I think kathy would be a great candidate
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:47 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
SueEllen schreef:

Sue Ellen you are right she would make an AWESOME school board member. She had given unselfishly, more than I can say about most.
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
quote:
SueEllen schreef:

Sue Ellen you are right she would make an AWESOME school board member. She had given unselfishly, more than I can say about most.

My perception is Kathy is HIGHLY motivated.

And that is important.

But so too is ABILITY to meet the responsibilities of the position.

What are the responsibilities. What are the necessary skill sets?

I mean someone may be very motivated to do a job, but if it requires a very specific set of skills, training, education etc to be SUCCESSFUL;[for example you might want to be an astronaut, but do you have the skills/experience, etc] then those MUST be pre-requisites for anyone seriously considered.

Frankly, watching the revolving door of school board members and the struggles of the FCS, that STARTS with the leadership and quality of decisions of the boards, we need ABILITY as much as motivation, probably more so [would anyone even entertain the role if they didn't want to serve].

I'm not saying Kathy isn't qualified, nor the best candidate. Just suggesting the board needs to look for ability especially. Do we already have enough FCS board members whose qualifications are they are motivated parents? where are the members with special skills in contracts, physcial plants, logisitics, management of large organizations, planning, and yes, education. Do we have the lock on members with those [and other] skills? Thats what ought to be looked...what do these members bring to the board as a whole? You don't need 5 concerned parents, if you don't have anyone with say legal or labor or management experience..you need to identify the critical skills missing and try to fill those gaps.

The FCS board is like being on the board of directors of a good size corporation and you don't find those boards populated with just "motivated customers" of the product the company [FCS]..they are people with special sets of experiences, skills etc.

of course its a decision that will be made by a set of exisiting board members who are mostly "motivated" parents/citizens themselves, so I bet they don't see their own blind spots.

God Bless who ever gets the position and God Bless the FCS Board and Good Luck. You are going to need it, [along with perserverence].

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:51 am 
rapunzel

Nope, do not need or want 5 concerned parents on the board.
Just 1.

Kathy knows all that has occurred for many years, she has more background experience than over half of the sitting board.

We keep tacking with the wind from one super to the next, new programs, new plans etc. CHILDREN NEED A STABILE ENVIRONMENT -YEAR TO YEAR TO BUILD UPON TO LEARN AND GROW.

WE NEED ONE VOICE FOR THE CHILDREN!

Kathy and I do not see eye to eye on many items. The board changes and does not remember what has passed, what has and has not already been discussed.

We need someone that sees what goes on day to day inside the buildings. Someone that many times can be the voice of reason between the parent and the teacher. The teacher and the administrator. The administrator and the board.
Kathy has done all of the above with common sense. No she does not have a masters...But her children will.

If you propose a plan that will not work she will not condemn it, she will find an alternative that could work better.

The k-8 at McKinley was the best program in Flint Schools but was not let grow to potential. WE did that, we took nothing, no hope and made hope.
Just dust in the wind now with new admin.

Did she throw in the towel...No. She fights on behalf of the teachers and children. She is always positive...we can fix this!

She just needs a better campaign organizer.
RAP
Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:30 am 
rapunzel

Nope, do not need or want 5 concerned parents on the board.
Just 1.

Kathy knows all that has occurred for many years, she has more background experience than over half of the sitting board.

We keep tacking with the wind from one super to the next, new programs, new plans etc. CHILDREN NEED A STABILE ENVIRONMENT -YEAR TO YEAR TO BUILD UPON TO LEARN AND GROW.

WE NEED ONE VOICE FOR THE CHILDREN!

Kathy and I do not see eye to eye on many items. The board changes and does not remember what has passed, what has and has not already been discussed.

We need someone that sees what goes on day to day inside the buildings. Someone that many times can be the voice of reason between the parent and the teacher. The teacher and the administrator. The administrator and the board.
Kathy has done all of the above with common sense. No she does not have a masters...But her children will.

If you propose a plan that will not work she will not condemn it, she will find an alternative that could work better.

The k-8 at McKinley was the best program in Flint Schools but was not let grow to potential. WE did that, we took nothing, no hope and made hope.
Just dust in the wind now with new admin.

Did she throw in the towel...No. She fights on behalf of the teachers and children. She is always positive...we can fix this!

She just needs a better campaign organizer.
RAP
Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:31 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I want Rapunzel, Ellwood, Eashoo, and Hatter and the tall skinny student from last year on the board. I really want sellout Cleaves who chooses not to even use the damn internet off the board.

Is Ellwood willing to run again?
Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:18 am 
Joe

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
I want Rapunzel, Ellwood, Eashoo, and Hatter and the tall skinny student from last year on the board. I really want sellout Cleaves who chooses not to even use the damn internet off the board.

Is Ellwood willing to run again?

Ellwood & Eashoo would be good candiates to adam.
I like Hatter, not to keen on the indian woman, she is mean
and frowns A TON
Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:34 am 
ellwoodflint

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
quote:
SueEllen schreef:

And that is important.

I mean someone may be very motivated to do a job, but if it requires a very specific set of skills, training, education etc to be SUCCESSFUL;[for example you might want to be an astronaut, but do you have the skills/experience, etc] then those MUST be pre-requisites for anyone seriously considered.

Frankly, watching the revolving door of school board members and the struggles of the FCS, that STARTS with the leadership and quality of decisions of the boards, we need ABILITY as much as motivation, probably more so [would anyone even entertain the role if they didn't want to serve].

I'm not saying Kathy isn't qualified, nor the best candidate. Just suggesting the board needs to look for ability especially. Do we already have enough FCS board members whose qualifications are they are motivated parents? where are the members with special skills in contracts, physcial plants, logisitics, management of large organizations, planning, and yes, education. Do we have the lock on members with those [and other] skills? Thats what ought to be looked...what do these members bring to the board as a whole? You don't need 5 concerned parents, if you don't have anyone with say legal or labor or management experience..you need to identify the critical skills missing and try to fill those gaps.

The FCS board is like being on the board of directors of a good size corporation and you don't find those boards populated with just "motivated customers" of the product the company [FCS]..they are people with special sets of experiences, skills etc.

of course its a decision that will be made by a set of exisiting board members who are mostly "motivated" parents/citizens themselves, so I bet they don't see their own blind spots.

God Bless who ever gets the position and God Bless the FCS Board and Good Luck. You are going to need it, [along with perserverence].

Biggie,
This is one of the most responsible responses I've seen in a long time, and I appreciate the way you think. Let me respond the best I can, Currently our board is made up of any community person that can get elected. That includes those who are popular but have other agendas. They use this as a stepping stone for future elections elsewhere. I do not now or ever will I have any political agaendas in mind.
It takes at least 3 years for a board member to understand the process of this system before they can become a working member. Until then, unless they have dedicated their life to the job, they are flying through mounds of data that they probobly don't understand and voting for there buddys choice sitting next to them. Most of the board that we have right now is extremely new and have full time jobs elsewhere. The other half is very political and what you hear in the media is overkill because that is what sells. We have not had a consistent board for over 5 years, and we have had 3 superintendants in that time frame. This will not change. When the community is angry they go after changing what they have the power to. The facts are, the one consistency in this district are our adminisrative heads that have been here 20+ years. This dept is data driven. Any info given to the board or to the super is data, never hands on. most of it is old because of the slow processess currently in place. Yes, desicions are made final by board votes and brought by the super, who I do hold accountable, but everything they work with by way of information is through the admin.
for example:
It was pupil personel who said all those students would fit into southwestern, Now if you were the board and your EXPERIENCED admin told you this and you have less than a years exp. and you do not regularly see the workings of any buildings, what would you decide?
The board of educations job is to oversee and make policy in this district. They do this with data from our admin.
For 5 years parents have screamed they wanted change and they wanted it done all at once instead of little by little every year like we were doing. Well thats just what we got. I've seen the program and its good. Unfortunely it was implemented badly. This plan was not written by milton or by anthony, it is a current working plan in places like Chicago. This academic program is an upgrade for our kids, its we adults who have the biggest issues with change. Including our teachers to whom I have the highest respect for ,but they are used to doing things a certain way. We also have a hard time realizing that when desicions are made, its for the entire district not just our school. Thats very difficult to do, it took me years to get past that territorial issue that all staff, parent and community have. The job is very demanding. Board members are only paid a 30.00 stipend per meeting (approx) nothing to brag about, and the laws and our way of funding in this district are not what people think they are. I have been extremely involved at all levels for many years and there are still things i'm not sure about.
I know college board execs that do not understand public school funding and policy. It is very different than people know.
I do not stand in favor of milton or the board, I do not stand against them either. My focus is the bottom line, keeping parents in the loop and focusing on what is the best programs for the school plan. They are here, we need to work toward the betterment. It is very easy to get caught up in the politics, it runs very deep. That was my biggest dissapointment in my education in all of this. As for our leadrship, they will come and go. We need to stay informed as to what stays in our academics and what doesn't. I am also not very politically correct so I may sound blunt at times but I just dont like to waste time with the round robin and repeats.
Raymond Hatter is an excellent board member, I would support him, also Paul Jordon. I do not know if I will run for board, my husband has taken a forced buyout and Im not sure where he will be working next, but in the meantime, I am chairing the citizens committee in the district wide effort to educate our parents on the system and give them an opinion and a place to have concerns addressed. I am a very big believer in grassroots efforts and facts.
If there are any particular questions or anything I can do to help in any way, you have my e-mail

Sincerely, Kathy
Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:03 pm 
ellwoodflint

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
quote:
SueEllen schreef:

And that is important.

Biggie,
This is one of the most responsible responses I've seen in a long time, and I appreciate the way you think. Let me respond the best I can, Currently our board is made up of any community person that can get elected. That includes those who are popular but have other agendas. They use this as a stepping stone for future elections elsewhere. I do not now or ever will I have any political agaendas in mind.
It takes at least 3 years for a board member to understand the process of this system before they can become a working member. Until then, unless they have dedicated their life to the job, they are flying through mounds of data that they probobly don't understand and voting for there buddys choice sitting next to them. Most of the board that we have right now is extremely new and have full time jobs elsewhere. The other half is very political and what you hear in the media is overkill because that is what sells. We have not had a consistent board for over 5 years, and we have had 3 superintendants in that time frame. This will not change. When the community is angry they go after changing what they have the power to. The facts are, the one consistency in this district are our adminisrative heads that have been here 20+ years. This dept is data driven. Any info given to the board or to the super is data, never hands on. most of it is old because of the slow processess currently in place. Yes, desicions are made final by board votes and brought by the super, who I do hold accountable, but everything they work with by way of information is through the admin.
for example:
It was pupil personel who said all those students would fit into southwestern, Now if you were the board and your EXPERIENCED admin told you this and you have less than a years exp. and you do not regularly see the workings of any buildings, what would you decide?
The board of educations job is to oversee and make policy in this district. They do this with data from our admin.
For 5 years parents have screamed they wanted change and they wanted it done all at once instead of little by little every year like we were doing. Well thats just what we got. I've seen the program and its good. Unfortunely it was implemented badly. This plan was not written by milton or by anthony, it is a current working plan in places like Chicago. This academic program is an upgrade for our kids, its we adults who have the biggest issues with change. Including our teachers to whom I have the highest respect for ,but they are used to doing things a certain way. We also have a hard time realizing that when desicions are made, its for the entire district not just our school. Thats very difficult to do, it took me years to get past that territorial issue that all staff, parent and community have. The job is very demanding. Board members are only paid a 30.00 stipend per meeting (approx) nothing to brag about, and the laws and our way of funding in this district are not what people think they are. I have been extremely involved at all levels for many years and there are still things i'm not sure about.
I know college board execs that do not understand public school funding and policy. It is very different than people know.
I do not stand in favor of milton or the board, I do not stand against them either. My focus is the bottom line, keeping parents in the loop and focusing on what is the best programs for the school plan. They are here, we need to work toward the betterment. It is very easy to get caught up in the politics, it runs very deep. That was my biggest dissapointment in my education in all of this. As for our leadrship, they will come and go. We need to stay informed as to what stays in our academics and what doesn't. I am also not very politically correct so I may sound blunt at times but I just dont like to waste time with the round robin and repeats.
Raymond Hatter is an excellent board member, I would support him, also Paul Jordon. I do not know if I will run for board, my husband has taken a forced buyout and Im not sure where he will be working next, but in the meantime, I am chairing the citizens committee in the district wide effort to educate our parents on the system and give them an opinion and a place to have concerns addressed. I am a very big believer in grassroots efforts and facts.
If there are any particular questions or anything I can do to help in any way, you have my e-mail

Sincerely, Kathy
Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:04 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Kathy,

And, after reading your post, I agree and concur with your observations totally. I think your approach is pragmatic and appropriate.

It is unfortunate that in serving the citizens so directly, yet bound by the laws of nature of large organizations, that schools can't successfully change as quickly as parents want it too. Its just impossible to turn a battleship on a dime...it takes time and space...so too with a large organization that is already moving, has interest groups of admins, teachers, unions, students, families, & the surrounding community. Still that is the task at hand.

It sounds to me, interpreting your experiences, you have a broad AND deep understanding and experience with the public education experience.

I get the impression we are/have recently lost some experienced members who have critical experience and skills,......do we know other than lacking the experience, the newer members have the skills/experienced to EVENTUALLY replace those lost skills [the experiences part can be gained]?

Glad to hear the strategic plan being implemented is one that was working elsewhere. Thats practical. Makes me ask though...did we need an unqualified, now disgraced and absconded friend of Milton's to implement it? The guy went from a substitute teacher to an educational consultant? If that doesn't sound like a con man operation, fooling inexperienced school systems, I don't know what is. And since Milton is responsible, how can people still trust him? If he didn't do it knowingly [criminal IMO], then you must call his competency/judgement into question and "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me"

Good luck with your family situation. I hope it works out for you & your family. You sound like a person who would make an effective school board member.

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:48 pm 
Dave

I think Adam Ford coudl run, but he is running for Mayor. Adam when is your campaign starting? When are you annoucing it?
Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:12 pm 
ellwoodflint

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
Kathy,

And, after reading your post, I agree and concur with your observations totally. I think your approach is pragmatic and appropriate.

It is unfortunate that in serving the citizens so directly, yet bound by the laws of nature of large organizations, that schools can't successfully change as quickly as parents want it too. Its just impossible to turn a battleship on a dime...it takes time and space...so too with a large organization that is already moving, has interest groups of admins, teachers, unions, students, families, & the surrounding community. Still that is the task at hand.

It sounds to me, interpreting your experiences, you have a broad AND deep understanding and experience with the public education experience.

I get the impression we are/have recently lost some experienced members who have critical experience and skills,......do we know other than lacking the experience, the newer members have the skills/experienced to EVENTUALLY replace those lost skills [the experiences part can be gained]?

Glad to hear the strategic plan being implemented is one that was working elsewhere. Thats practical. Makes me ask though...did we need an unqualified, now disgraced and absconded friend of Milton's to implement it? The guy went from a substitute teacher to an educational consultant? If that doesn't sound like a con man operation, fooling inexperienced school systems, I don't know what is. And since Milton is responsible, how can people still trust him? If he didn't do it knowingly [criminal IMO], then you must call his competency/judgement into question and "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me"

Good luck with your family situation. I hope it works out for you & your family. You sound like a person who would make an effective school board member.

Biggie

The biggest issue with dumping our Super is that under contract we will still have to pay him. We've done this with the past persons in place. Then when the district puts a new person in, we end up either starting all over or going in a different direction. To be honest, he knows at this point that he is under fire, The best plan in my eyes is to move ahead keeping a very close eye on all desicions made and make him WORK for the pay he is getting. We need consistency. This district has such a high level of the buddy system in place that it's difficult for change when we bring an insider to the post. This is human nature to bring issues you have burdened over a 20 year time period with you when you become CEO so to speak. I do not doubt that our employees care about the kids, but I know its hard to change and to face against those you have worked along side for years and defy their friendship.
As for the new board members, I think they all start out with the best intentions, it will depend on who they listen to and their willing to find out for themselves. Erica Leveres was asked to run and was chosen by the board president, they are friends, so what choices will she make, hers or Robb=Martins? Our newest appointed member is very political, although an extremely intelligent woman , her mother is the head of SEIU union. Who is she there for? All of this can only be answered by staying informed and watching the voting process.
Also I wanted to mention, you talked about contracts etc in your last post. The Cheif financial officer and our lawyers deal with that. The super is involved at his own discretion and the board signs off the final draft. Administration does it all.
I appreciate the kudos, Thanks, Kathy
Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:21 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
ellwoodflint schreef:

The biggest issue with dumping our Super is that under contract we will still have to pay him. We've done this with the past persons in place. Then when the district puts a new person in, we end up either starting all over or going in a different direction. To be honest, he knows at this point that he is under fire, The best plan in my eyes is to move ahead keeping a very close eye on all desicions made and make him WORK for the pay he is getting. We need consistency. This district has such a high level of the buddy system in place that it's difficult for change when we bring an insider to the post. This is human nature to bring issues you have burdened over a 20 year time period with you when you become CEO so to speak. I do not doubt that our employees care about the kids, but I know its hard to change and to face against those you have worked along side for years and defy their friendship.
As for the new board members, I think they all start out with the best intentions, it will depend on who they listen to and their willing to find out for themselves. Erica Leveres was asked to run and was chosen by the board president, they are friends, so what choices will she make, hers or Robb=Martins? Our newest appointed member is very political, although an extremely intelligent woman , her mother is the head of SEIU union. Who is she there for? All of this can only be answered by staying informed and watching the voting process.
Also I wanted to mention, you talked about contracts etc in your last post. The Cheif financial officer and our lawyers deal with that. The super is involved at his own discretion and the board signs off the final draft. Administration does it all.
I appreciate the kudos, Thanks, Kathy

Again, I agree. Iam not advocating tossing him out. I am advocating 'fool me twice, shame on me" vigilance. Which is what I understand you are too. Milton took a hard knock to his reputation with the community....I wished he would have been more up front and contrite about it, but that seems to SOP for high profile people to NOT readily and openly admit mistakes. We've seen the same behavior from US presidents, Senators etc...and recently too. Guess the higher one's position, the more ego, the harder to admit failure. As such, he at least SEEMS more vulnerable and more amenable to LISTEN to others since his judgment has been shown less than perfect.

Interesting to hear the recent board members backgrounds.....sounds like independent board members are scarcer than hens teeth. Too many "interest groups" with agendas beyond running an effective school system.

As far as technical skills like contracts et al, yes a board hires admin to run the day to day, blocking and tackling. BUT. There should be expertise in those areas among board members so that the board has can recognize when the admin is blowing smoke, or going off in the wrong direction.
Over time, of course, a board and admin learn each others strengths, weaknesses, abilities etc and more importantly TRUST in each others abilities to discharge their responsibilities. Something hard to attain with such turmoil.
BTW, do you have any comment to some observations I had seen of some admin leaving because they were concerned with some of the decisions Milton was taking regarding some revenue and its use...like using Title I funds for purposes other than what the funding as specified for? I thought I had read where some finance people were getting out because of such mis-use and didn't want to be involved...can't recall who or where I saw it now, but do you know anything about it?

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:11 am 
ellwoodflint

Robert Allen, our ex CFO, to whom I consider a friend and have the upmost respect for is the one who has recently left for Ann Arbor.
I know exactly what the issue was. When Dr. Milton came to Mi. with his new plan, he was hired by the board to do 2 things. Upgrade our schools education and build new schools. Everyone knows there is no-way we are going to get a milleage so Dr. Milton came in strong. He basically told admin that if they did not make a difference they were gone. He had no problem replacing anyone. He along with many admin heads and board members were very excited and happy with his attitude to accomplish. The one thing they failed to notice was his lack of understanding about Mi, school funding, As I have said, our funding is very different from other states due to proposal A and there isn'tmuch wiggle room with out alot of experience working with it. I highly reccomend looking up proposal A and Mi. public school financing. Anyway, with the get it done attitude of milton, and experienced , very conservative work ethic of Mr Allen, it was not meant to be. Needless to say, I believe our Super has learned a little more about Flint. We are not the easiest group to appease but if you earn your way in you are in for good. Im ready to see him earn it.
Robert is in Ann Arbor, he has family there and he is happy. Currently we have the company that does our yearly audits doing our finances until Robert is replaced. Things are changing, stay tuned so it doesn't go so fast that we have no choices.
Kathy
Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:20 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: