FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Sarah Palin "Vetted" by the Dems in 2006
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

In 2006 when Sarah Palin was running for Governor of Alaska, the Democratic Party compiled a history of her political career. While the language is one side of the story, every point includes multiple quotes or sources. Here are the main points pulled from the preface:

quote:
"Palin Says She’s a Change from The Scandal-Plagued Republicans, But She’s More of the Same. Palin built her reputation on criticizing state Republicans for ethics questions, but Palin has questions of her own, as she used city resources when she campaigned for Lt. Governor...

"Palin Touts Fiscal Conservatism, But She Increased Spending Tremendously and Supported Tax Increases. Palin constantly reminds us that she is a fiscal conservative. But during her time as mayor, she increased the city’s budget at a rate far outpacing the city’s growth with spending on large projects. She supported sales tax increases and left the city with thousands in per-capita debt, where none had existed when she came in...

"Palin Is Too Socially Conservative for Libertarian Alaska. Palin is a strong conservative—something she repeated throughout her primary campaign but now seems to try to back off from. She is not only pro-life but is involved with—and even steered tax money toward—organizations that give misleading information on abortion...

"Palin’s Management Style is to Bully and Demand Political Loyalty. Palin’s tenure as mayor of Wasilla was marred by tremendous staff turnover, first when she fired most of the top staff—including the city’s librarian—because she questioned their loyalty, and then later when staff quit because of her micromanaging style. Wasilla even lost the opportunity to hire a police chief because he said the job seemed too political.

"Palin’s Not Ready for Primetime. Palin argues that she was the mayor of the fastest growing city in Alaska. While that may be true, Wasilla’s population is still 1 percent of the rest of the state of Alaska. The last budget Palin approved, $12.5 million, is .2 percent of the $7.3 billion budget Tony Knowles approved.

"Palin’s Not Tough Enough to Be A Strong Negotiator for Alaska. As mayor, Palin fired someone because she said he intimidated her with his size and because he gave her a “stern look.” She asked her department heads to give her only good news...

A note in her defense - she is on record as being pro-contraception. Some blogs have claimed otherwise due to her support of an anti-abortion group that regards birth control pills as "abortifectants" i.e. they dislodge a potentially fertilized egg, and are therefore mini-abortions.

My take-away:

- The neocons and Republican elite are the ones who are really afraid - if she becomes president, she'll be a loose cannon. The social conservatives and "gun-totin' hockey moms" will love her no matter what she says or does.

- As I read about her time as mayor, I kept thinking, "that sounds like our mayor."

- She's a wash...Palin will both help and hurt McCain, but won't make a real difference in the election.

Click here to read the entire document (63pg PDF) if you've got a fast connection.
Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

We shall see, the most popular Governor in the US being compared to Don the Con. Laughing I'm sure all her supporters such as myself are really concerned about a job assessment put together by the Dem party. She has the Dems breaking out in cold sweats and they don't have a clue how to handle her. Go get em Sarah. By the way, I usually enjoy your opposing posts but cmon an job approval rating by those who would never approve her in the first place.

Last edited by twotap on Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:28 pm 
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

I'm on record as stating I think she appears to be a good person and a good mom. But prez? And if it makes you feel any better, if she had run for mayor of Flint I just might have voted for her. Rolling Eyes
Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Get ready for the "oh yeah, well Obama. . .(random internet conspiracy theory here)" non-response responses from the Flint Talk smear team. She is guilty of all of the things the right has unfairly tried to pin on Obama. She flipped on earmarks, she hired lobbyists as mayor to get federal funds for her city. Her entire resume has been de-bunked in a week. You're right, her effect on the campaign will be minimal. I saw a great editorial cartoon today in the Nashville Tennessean by Jim Bergman. Its titled "John McCain's Bridge to Nowhere", and in it, he's holding up Ms. Palin, who's reaching out towards a woman holding a Hillary sign. The Hillary supporter says "you're kidding, right?". Republicans have far fewer declared registered voters than Dems, so they need to appeal to independents. Palin will alienate as many as she attracts, and I would predict that her tone will alienate more before November. The electoral map is still very blue. www.realclearpolitics.com
Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:42 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well I feel the same way about ex community organizer Obama hes probably a good dad but leader of the free world. Give me a break. Kevin You must be using more than your thumb today. Laughing
quote:
and I would predict that her tone will alienate more before November.

Shouldn't predict be changed to hope? By the way she has fired up the conservative base or perhaps better known as the silent majority. Bad things happen to lib democrats when that occurs.
Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:42 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

My thumbs are quite tired, I'm having trouble keeping up. You guys posted several responses while I was busy tapping away. TT, I'm impressed, your response was remarkably bile-free and thoughtful, albeit all wrong. I'm stuck in Tennessee, my load was cancelled, so I'm thinking of heading to Nashville to start my new career as a song writer. In the meantime, nothing to do but watch the web and read.
Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:53 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:
You're right, her effect on the campaign will be minimal.

lol Thanks for the humor. She's already more popular than both John McCain and Obama.

McCain's campaign appeared DOA until he picked Palin.
Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:05 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Here's Palin "vetting" Obama.

Link

Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:09 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

I can't see Adam's link where I'm at, but I'm guessing its a you tube vid of her convention speech. 80% of that speech was de-bunked by the independent site www.politifact.com . There is plenty of time between now and November for ads pointing out Palin's discrepancies. She's turning off as many people with her shrill tone as she's appealing with her hockey mom talk.
Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:19 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:
She's turning off as many people with her shrill tone as she's appealing with her hockey mom talk.

I think she'll probably want to stick with the "shrill tone" and "hockey mom talk" so she doesn't become only as popular as Obama.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/palin_power_fresh_face_now_more_popular_than_obama_mccain
Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:28 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
. I'm stuck in Tennessee

Maybe you'll get lucky and run into Algore.
Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:06 pm 
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

In case you haven't read it, a longtime Wasilla City Council watcher Anne Kilkenny has written quite a long e-mail describing her impression of Sarah Palin.

Interesting back-story: Kilkenny originally wrote the e-mail to be passed from friend-to-friend, with specific instructions not to share it. Kilkenny has dial-up service, doesn't spend much time on the web, so she was pretty suprised to discover her e-mail had made it all over the web. Given her tone and reasonableness, I would tend to believe her opinions.

quote:
twotap schreef:
...By the way, I usually enjoy your opposing posts but cmon an job approval rating by those who would never approve her in the first place.

TT, fair point. That's why I was up front about the source of the information, and why I attempted to de-bunk the anti-contraception story. However, until something better comes along, this is the closest we have to a documented history of Ms. Palin's positions on the issues.
Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:42 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I gotta ask ya have any of you been swayed away from supporting Baracko by reading anything I or anyone else have posted on the forum. Well the same goes for Sarah Palin shes the VP pick and I doubt very much if her supporters are gonna abandon the good ship Sarah regardless whats posted. By the way Sarah is also my granddaughters name any of you Dems have a kid or grand kid named Barack? Wink Laughing
Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:14 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

I have seen very little on this board from the right that deals with actual policy positions of Barack Obama. Most of my efforts here have been to de-bunk lies and myths. Now that Gov. Palin is on the scene, I've been de-bunking the myth that is her record against earmarks and lobbyists. I'm pretty sure you're right that many here will never change, but as long as you and your cohorts keep repeating lies you find on-line, I'll keep proving you wrong, citing sources, and logically dismantling your myths before any undecided voters read your posts. www.factcheck.org www.politifact.com
Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Obamoose has policy positions? All I hear is "Change!!!"

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: