FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dane Walling. Shame on you.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Jay

i think for dane to use his not for profit org launch his mayoral campaign is an abuse and should not be allowed. we need some who as lived , worked and contributed to this community , someone who knows flint. i agree with the posting on the message board about DALE WEIGHILL.......hmmm
Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:39 pm 
Biggie 9

I am glad this conversation is happening now, and now when the election starts. I think its healthy for people to talk about these issues.

Thanks Steve!
Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:17 pm 
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

Who is being abused?
Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:34 pm 
JoelRash
F L I N T O I D

Found this post on another thread:

Ihalling

i think for dane to use his not for profit org launch his mayoral campaign is an abuse and should not be allowed. we need some who as lived , worked and contributed to this community , someone who knows flint. i agree with the posting on the message board about DALE WEIGHILL.......hmmm

Which leaves me with a couple questions. Was this someone copying and pasting another's post, or the same person using different names? And secondly, was this guest post actually Ingrid Halling, a prominent and well respected community activist, or someone trying to confuse readers by implying that it was Ingrid's post?

That doesn't even address the fact that a) nobody has filed with the clerk to run for mayor, so nobody has 'launched' anything, and b) if you think someone has broken the law you should report them to the proper authorities. Clearly that isn't the case here.

I'm going to drop Ingrid an e-mail to see if this is her post. If not I think it should be removed as being false intentionally deceptive.

Joel Rash (joelrash@comcast.net)
Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:54 am 
Adam

No one is allowed to file to run yet anyways. I don't think you're allowed to file until January.
Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:36 pm 

first, the allegation that dayne is using a non-profit for political advantage is false. not only is it false, it is baseless.
second, to criticize somebody for moving his family back to flint is a low blow.
i've known dayne for more than a decade - and he has always, since the day i met him, wanted to move back home. i say that if a guy like dayne comes back to flint and uses his experience to improve our city - we are all the better for it. if he chooses to do that by running a non profit, or by starting a business, or by getting into politics - all the better.
if flint had more dayne wallings we'd be alot better off....
Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:31 am 
Guest1

It is great the the guy moved his family back to Flint. But to even consider running for the top position of a city in dire need of help a year after he moves back is ridiculous. He seems to be a good intentioned person but needs to better understand the problems facing Flint before he tries to run the City. Otherwise, we have another Matt Collier who was also a good intentioned person but failed to recognize what the city needed to to become a vibrant city.
Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:35 am 
Ehren Gonzales

I agree, it is terrific that this individual has moved back to the area. I did the same thing. I got my MBA from UM Ann Arbor, undergrad from MSU, moved to Ft. Collins, CO, moved to NJ, then relocated back to Flint. I could have moved to Livoinia or Dearborn since this is where my job is but I moved back to Flint, commuting two hours a day. And since I am involved in politics I could have run immediately, but I did not see that as the productive thing to do.

I didn't believe I truely understood the changing environment as it pertained to jobs, economic development, crime, and neighborhood blight. It takes time to understand these problems. No matter what educational level you have obtained, or if you are a Rhodes Scholar, unless you are in the trenches how do you really know what it takes to affect change and engage the community's stakeholders to become united for a common goal.

Again, I truely believe a person should understand our problems first hand not from afar and definately not from another state. How can anyone know what is actually happening from newspapers, online posts, or even conversations with friends and family. I think it is great that a person that moves back would want to run for political office, I just think you need time to grasp the issues.

Ehren
Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:31 am 
notitleneeded+1

True, it is odd to move back to the city you grew up in and then run for mayor right away, but there are several reasons why it is not a bad idea.
1.You can learn more about the way politics should and can run, not by taking notes from flint's politicians and history, but by getting an enormously premium educated view learning the tried and true tactics and trade from a more 'professional' political atmosphere
2.Brings more people besides and his family to flint to help his cause, helping to offset all the flow of educated people away from flint. Undoubtedly, some of his staff are also not from the area.
3.Does not have a felony on his record.
4.Does not seem to be connected to any flint business 'cronies'
5.The problems of flint are in no way unobservable to new people to the area. With only experience elsewhere it might be observed that there are other problems we overlook or are blinded and numb to by living here forever. Any connections with the area would be able to inform of the major problems flint has. You don't have to live here for 5 years to experience them all to know what they are.
And, if you surround yourself with appointees that have the experience in the few areas he lack, the shortcomings can be overshadowed by their knowledge and expertise. There is no person with everything flint needs to succeed. It will take quite the group to turn it around, including getting the citizens and employees to make more noise and get more involved and not shutting them up like this mayor does.

Everyone needs to pull together more to get the current mayor out of office.
Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:27 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: