FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Wise Guys . . . & Gals
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Public D
F L I N T O I D

At the Saddleback Faith Inquisition, err, Forum, both McCain and Obama were asked, "Who are the three wisest people you know and that you would rely on heavily in your administration?"

Obama:

His Wife
His Grandmother
Too many valid perspectives to limit to three

McCain:

General Petraeus
John Lewis
Meg Whitman

Fair enough and true to form, Obama was truthful and tactful; McCain was truthful and shooting from the lip.

The contrast in approach and thought process aside . . . Meg Whitman? Really? OK. What, then, are the economic implications of wise EBay CEO Meg Whitman's insistence that U.S. tech firms cannot survive without foreign workers obtaining H-1B visas to come here to work in the technology sector?

Link

What happened to the Knowledge Economy? What happened to college? What happened to developing your own website to resell your out-of-style shoes – and economic advisors?

Lord, help us.

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:55 pm 
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

In case you missed it, here's the video. Ignore the fact that it was held at a church - it is a good intro into the candidates positions, and better than some of the crap the networks gave us during the primary.

McCain did better than I expected, as he's made several gaffes on the campaign trail. His answers at Saddleback were forceful, direct and to the point. However, I don't think he had the questions beforehand (current rumor).

Obama did exactly what I expected. His answers were more thoughtful and nuanced. Some folks are shooting him down for this, but to my mind it showed judgment, not ignorance.

My opinion: both candidates are better than the whackos on the far left or far right would have us believe. But don't take my word for it...blow 2 hours watching the videos yourself (yay interwebs - no commercials!).
Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Link
Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:46 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Marko Rollo schreef:
Ignore the fact that it was held at a church -

Now watch it without ignoring the fact that is was held at at a church.

Link

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:02 pm 
torgohugo
F L I N T O I D

"Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms!"

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:49 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Can I have the big comfy chair?!

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:55 am 
tricky mutha
F L I N T O I D

I understand they have one of those over at the White Horse…

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:03 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
tricky mutha schreef:
I understand they have one of those over at the White Horse…

You "delurked", how quaint...<evil grin>. They have BIG hamburgers too.Wink

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:07 am 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

Heaven forbid that we might actually want to weigh the character of the person that be leading the free world for the next four years....some of you peeps are pathetic.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:36 am 
tricky mutha
F L I N T O I D

Apparently no one checked on the one we’re stuck with for the next 5 months

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:39 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

NAILED Laughing Laughing

No Contest
By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Monday, August 18, 2008 4:20 PM PT

Election '08: Last weekend's McCain-Obama protodebate made it clear why Obama won't keep his promise to debate McCain "anywhere, anytime." McCain, with a robust resume and details at his fingertips, won big.

It was only in May that Sen. Barack Obama cockily proclaimed he would debate Sen. John McCain "anywhere, anytime." But in June, Obama said no to McCain's challenge to have 10 one-on-one town hall meetings.

After what happened at Lake Forest, Calif.'s evangelical Saddleback megachurch Saturday evening, we may have found that debating is Obama's Achilles' heel. Whether or not you like the idea of such events being held in religious venues, the plain-and-simple method of questioning used by Saddleback pastor and best-selling author Rick Warren revealed fundamental differences between these two men.

"It's one of those situations where the devil is in the details," Obama said at one point. He could have been referring to his own oratorical shortcomings when a teleprompter is unavailable. We learned a lot more about the real Obama at Saddleback than we will next week as he delivers his acceptance speech in Denver before a massive stadium crowd.

The stark differences between the two came through the most on the question of whether there is evil in the world. Obama spoke of evil within America, "in parents who have viciously abused their children." According to the Democrat, we can't really erase evil in the world because "that is God's task." And we have to "have some humility in how we approach the issue of confronting evil."

For McCain, with a global war on terror raging, there was no equivocating: We must "defeat" evil. If al-Qaida's placing of suicide vests on mentally-disabled women and then blowing them up by remote control in a Baghdad market isn't evil, he asked: "You have to tell me what is."

Asked to name figures he would rely on for advice, Obama gave the stock answer of family members. McCain pointed to Gen. David Petraeus, Iraq's scourge of the surge; Democratic Rep. John Lewis, who "had his skull fractured" by white racists while protesting for civil rights in the 60s; plus Internet entrepreneur Meg Whitman, the innovative former CEO of eBay.

When Warren inquired into changes of mind on big issues, Obama fretted about welfare reform; McCain unashamedly said "drilling" — for reasons of national security and economic need.

On taxes, Obama waxed political: "What I'm trying to do is create a sense of balance and fairness in our tax code." McCain showed an understanding of what drives a free economy: "I don't want to take any money from the rich. I want everybody to get rich. I don't believe in class warfare or redistribution of the wealth."

To any honest observer, the differences between John McCain and Barack Obama have been evident all along. What we saw last weekend was Obama's shallowness juxtaposed with McCain's depth, the product of his extraordinary life experience.

It may not have been a debate, but it was one of the most lopsided political contests in memory. No wonder Obama wants to keep debate formats boring and predictable
Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:30 am 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

quote:
strattonsigns schreef:
Heaven forbid that we might actually want to weigh the character of the person that be leading the free world for the next four years....some of you peeps are pathetic.

What's pathetic is the notion that character evaluation has to be an exercise in religious devotion.

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:37 am 
torgohugo
F L I N T O I D

I’m a charter member of the Nihilist party here in Genesee County.

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:27 pm 
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
NAILED Laughing Laughing

Funny, I saw the same two candidates and came away with a different opinion.

Mr. McCain said that, if elected, he would keep us in Iraq until we had won, that he would commit even more military resources to finding Bin Laden, and that he'd cut taxes to spur the economy. Oh, and, although he didn't come right out and say it, the implication was "elect me, and abortion is finally going to be illegal."

Basically, Mr. McCain convinced me that voting for him was voting for four more years of GW Bush.

Mr. Obama on the other hand, showed me that despite his inexperience he was willing to listen to others, had a grasp of the complex challenges facing our country, and wasn't the raving liberal-Muslim-anti-christ-Manchurian Candidate the right would have me believe.

Mr. Tap and I might have a different definition of "nailed".
Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

This whole thing is making my undies get in a twist......with the venue that was chosen for the debate and the premise of it at that....especially with a "megachurch" I could go on and on and on and on about religious ideologies...oy.

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html
"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:54 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: