FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Ehren Gonzales

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
young dem

Mr. Gonzales, I have noticed yo are active on Flint Talk, so i would just wish to ask you a few questions.

Question 1. At this moment, what is your relation and confidence in the mayor and his administration? Has it grown weaker, stronger or has remainded the same?

question 2. The same as posred above question, but for the council as a whole

question 3. As councilman, what are your plans and agenda for flint and what do you hope to do to implement those plans

question 4. How do you feel about eric mays, mr. buchanan(sp?), Councilwoman Sims, and councilwoman poplar amd hill?

question 5. How do you feel about the recall attemp against the council president?

question 6. what is the future of the block grants dollars and how will they be spent, if they even do?

Thanks if you answer these questions and I support you, the council and the mayor. Also I know your abuela from church
Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:04 am 
Ehren Gonzales

Answers to your questions:

1. My relationship with the administration is one of cooperation and collaboration. My main goal is the improvement of our City. I am strongly confident that the administration and council are doing everything we can to make our City better. With the previous council there was too much confrontation, not enough collaboration. That was unproductive . Basically, my confidence level overall has remained the same. In some areas it has been weaker due to non-responsiveness to constituent concern referrals I have made to certain departments. But, it is a problem that will soon be resolved.

2. I am a detail oriented person who always reviews our agenda in full prior to meetings. I am somewhat concerned that there are some council members who do not review the agenda prior to our meetings, therefore I have a weaker opinion of these members. Additionally, I have been told that some council members do not return calls and that is unfortunate as well. In fact, I have received many calls to help resolve problems in different wards, but I have to refer them back to their council member and told them if they do not get help to call the Ombudsman.

Finally, I have a weak opinion for some members as I don't believe they have the best interest of the City residents at heart during some votes. They make votes to position theirselves for future elections, instead of being good stewards for our tax dollars. They vote certain ways because of pressure from certain groups or organizations and that is a shame. That is not good stewardship for our tax dollars and is unfortunate. I will never let individuals, special interest groups, or organizations direct the way I vote. I listen to their concerns and make the best possible decisions based on the facts I have. We should always make efficient use of the taxpayers money and minimize any potential liability to the City.

So again, I would say in some cases I have a weaker opinion and in some case my opinion has not changed.

3. I have many priorities. Unfortunately, I don't have time to go into detail on each priority, but call me if you would like to discuss further. My cell 397-0737.
- Public Safety
- Economic Development (Master Plan)
- Code Enforcement
- Educational and Business Partnerships

4. I will reserve comment on this question. But I would gladly discuss with you on the phone. My cell 397-0737.

5. Recalls in my opinion are a waste of taxpayer time and money. We just had an election seven or eight months ago. If the people in the 1st Ward were not satisfied with their council rep they should have elected someone different. As for this recall attempt my opinion is that there is no basis for recall, although the election commission disagreed. Some of the language on the recall petition was inaccurate, such as the council president purposely withheld budget information. It is not the role of the council president to disseminate these types of documents. It is the role of the Finance Chair, which happens to be me, to cascade info such as budget documents to the entire council. I provided all information I had to the entire council. I challenge any member to disagree that I did not provide them this information. Just so everyone who reads this knows I keep all memos and e-mails that provide back-up to my statements for record keeping purposes.

So on that basis, while I agree with a persons right to request a recall, I have concerns about this recall attempt.

6. There is a plan plan to spend all block grant dollars on improving our City. I am satisfied with the proposal submitted by the administration. With the exception of one group I have not heard from any groups wishing to get these dollars. I am quite confident in the abilities of our grants division to ensure we spend every dollar. Again, the confrontational attitude of the previous council/Mayor relationship led to the city losing $1.4M in grant dollars. I want to see collaboration/cooperation so this does not happen again.

Ehren[/list]
Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:01 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

A politician that actually is willing to converse witht he public. Is this a new trend or what. I applaud you for offering your cell number as well.
Richard
Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:31 am 
Young Dem

Thanks Mr. Gonzales fr your comments and good luck as councilman. Let me just say this. Many of those people who speak out against the council I think hold a grudge because of the elections and I want to tell you, those 10-20 people who go against the council, do not worry, that is a small amount of the thousands that elected you and other members. Finally Mr. Gonzales, I would like to have your email, so I can see your opinions on question 4 or you can simply send me them at my email address, sexy.chicano@yahoo.com.

Muchas gracias
Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:33 am 
Ehren Gonzales

Thanks for your comments, Richard & Young Dem

E-mail: egonzales@cityofflint.com
Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:37 am 

Your very welcome sir. Umm I just emailed you with a question.
Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:44 am 
Joe

Ehren when will Riverbank Park be cleaned up? It needs it badly.. PLEASE help get it cleaned up!!!!
Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:55 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: