FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: LAND BANK FLINT'S BIGGEST SLUM LORD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Is The Genesee County Land Bank Flint's Worst Slum Lord?
Yes, they have bitten off more than they can chew
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
No, they are just trying to take over all the property in Flint.
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
RECALL DAN KILDEE - Lets Clean Flint Up.
55%
 55%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 34

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Genesee County Land Bank 2011 Annual Review

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:50 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

City of Flint, Land Bank working to decline property values

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:58 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

All week I have seen moving vans in my neighborhood and watched people just leaving the city. Selling 2 houses when dozens are being abandoned monthly doesn't add up. Longley should have challenged these statements and asked for a definitive piece of evidence to substantiate Weiland's claim. I realize that a vacant lot loses less neighborhood value than a vacant home, but what about neighborhoods with only one or two houses per block.

I firmly believe Weiland and Speed are more concerned with Democratic politics, especially in the north end, than revitalizing Flint. I have spoken to too many people who who unable to buy vacant properties on their block to believe this rhetoric.

Look at Metawaneenee Hills. An attempt to purchase a vacant lot resulted in the potential purchaser being told that all of that property was being reserved for Salem Housing. The Land Bank has a policy regarding sales and they violated this policy for Salem and some other groups.

Salem had serious HUD findings on their rehabs in Smith Village. Can you imagine investing nearly $100,000 to rehab some houses while not increasing their value and the federal limit was $55,000. This limit was increased to allow the exteriors of the homes to be improved so they would better match the new homes that were to be built.

Salem recently was cited in an audit because they failed in selling their rent to own homes. Some, especially some in the Hamilton Avenue area, are said to have been totally vandalized and in need of razing.
Salem has had numerous homes they have renovated on the market for years.

The only value this article has is in trying to make the Land Bank look more successful and increasing the image of Dan Kildee as a visionary for creating the Land Bank.

Then look at the greed of the county when they take money from the Land bank that would have been used to maintain properties the Land bank owns in the City of Flint, and further contributing to the blight and decay of Flint. The outcounty commissioners are simply looking at resources to further improve their bottom line and could care less about the city. The two minority commissioners are impotent when it comes to votes concerning Flint.

It should be researched to see if there is a way to file a lawsuit against the county. Deb Cherry claims what they are doing is illegal, but she has yet to raise the courage to fight them.

Ciity of Flint, Land Bank working to combat declining property values, official says P

ublished: Thursday, February 16, 2012, 4:11 PM Updated: Thursday, February 16, 2012, 7:44 PM

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com
Follow

View full sizeLathan Goumas | MLive.com February 16, 2012 - A for sale sign sits out in front of a home on Wisconsin Avenue in Flint on Thursday. According to city officials residential property values dropped an average of 24 percent over the last year.
FLINT, Michigan -- More than half of the residential properties sold in Flint in recent years were foreclosures, likely one of the main contributors to the city's plummeting property values, said Doug Weiland, executive director of the Genesee County Land Bank.

About 70 percent of homes purchased in 2009 were foreclosures, followed by about 60 percent in 2010, Weiland said.

"It has a drastic effect on the overall pricing in the market," he said.

The city of Flint's residential property values dropped an average of 24 percent this year, officials said.

Weiland said the Land Bank and the city of Flint are using federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program funds to tear down vacant residential properties in an effort to stabilize the market.

"We've demolished nearly 1,000 dilapidated and deteriorating houses," he said. "Removing blight has a positive effect on property values."

The funds are also used to rehabilitate homes and sell them to get them back on the tax rolls, he said.

The Land Bank has sold 27 rehabilitated homes in the county, two of them in the city of Flint, he said.

"We expect we’ll see property values near where rehabs are selling coming up," he said. "The design of this federal program is to help subsidize not just a single home, but to subsidize the neighborhood by bringing up property values. And we are seeing that happen."

1milkshakes1 February 16, 2012 at 7:51PM

Two houses sold in the city over 2 years? Try a little harder.

Stulpnaegl February 16, 2012 at 9:01PM

Let's see.... According this, politicians are going
to pull a few strings, and property in Flint will suddenly
have more value. Wow! The government has magical
powers and can do anything!

jacobsmith February 16, 2012 at 9:15PM

First step is to stop the INSANE practice of building new homes in Flint using TAX money, the market is overloaded, DEMOLISH the empty structures and the crime will drop and the values of the remaining homes will increase.

shanedr February 17, 2012 at 1:50PM

The biggest problem is there is no emphasis on selling vacant lots, that empty look is what is killing Flint.

We need to encourage home and business owners to buy lots adjacent to them and we need to sell them for $1. Flint doesn't make money from the sale of lots, it makes it from collecting taxes. Sell every adjacent lot they can to adjacent property owners and then go back a year later and ask if they want to buy any additional adjacent lots.

Property ownership encourages property maintenance and that is what Flint lacks.

adamford February 17, 2012 at 6:00PM

Dan Kildee's Land Theft Bank Program is a failutre at best. Vacant Land Bank houses do not increase property values.
Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:19 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Genesee County Land Theft Bank may still receive its subsidies even from bankruptcy needing City of Flint.

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:50 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Land Banking: An Old Idea With A Poor Track Record

the Center for Community Progress (Land Theft) has received $3.1 million in grants from the Mott Foundation

The Center for Community Land Theft

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:33 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Flint Economic Development Center (EDC) recently met with their auditor and the issue of Mayor Walling and Eason authorizing the Genesee County land bank to occupy without payment of rent property in the Oak Business Center, which is owned by the EDC. The auditor stated the Land bank should pay rent.

This building once rented for $3,000 per month and the leaseee paid the utilities. The land bank also occupies space in the back parking lot where they store and strip vehicles.

This issue came up before when former Mayor Williamson had the impound lot at the Oak Business center. Williamson began paying the appropriate rent to the oak Business Center, which reduced the profit made by the impound lot. However, every department in City hall pays a portion of money back to the city for their space and utilities.

The county formerly used a building on Hemphill Road for their operations. They own this building, which is up for sale and they own other commercial properties that have been foreclosed upon. The difference is they would have to pay for their own utilities.

Watch as more backroom deals surface between Walling, Salem Housing and the Land Bank. Dan kildee has moved on but his dream of the Land Bank is becoming a nightmare to the residents, especially those in Metawaneenee.
Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:10 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Heard a rumor this morning at the 7-11 that the land bank is supposed to be close to going out of business. This could be just a rumor tied to the reduced or eliminated funding they receive.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

MIke Carr thinks Weiland is great, but I believe he is over his head in this job. He is and has been a political consultant as well as a leader in the Democratic Party. He probably needs Raynetta Speed because of the Black Caucus as she is said to be involved in political activity while on the job.

The Land bank is not allowing individuals to buy homes in the Metawaneenee area by saying they can only be bought by Salem Housing.

Is this the backroom deal for the rest of the 500 houses that Walling said were identified as needed through an unnamed downtown survey? Salem violates all of the Land Bank policies as they owe taxes, haven't been able to sell the properties they have and have been cited more than once in the HUD Monitoring Reports for their problems.

Weiland doesn't know how to deal with citizens and is a bean counter kind of guy. Why do we continue to elect people to offices because of their name and not their credentials. Cherry is still learning about the office and is a friend of Weiland. Don't expect any meaninful changes from this pair.
Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:15 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Allan Hill - Possible temorary reprieve to the Genesee County Land Theft bank destruction?

I think the ideal solution would be to eliminate the tax payer funded Genesee County Land Theft slum lord but I think the Land Theft Bank should consider offering contracts to homeless people to live in and mantain the properties. They would live for free or at a reduced rate but keep the yards mowed. To avoid destabalizing the rental industry they might want to require the homeless to mantain a few properties to live in one for free.

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Adam schreef:
Allan Hill - Possible temorary reprieve to the Genesee County Land Theft bank destruction?

I think the ideal solution would be to eliminate the tax payer funded Genesee County Land Theft slum lord but I think the Land Theft Bank should consider offering contracts to homeless people to live in and mantain the properties. They would live for free or at a reduced rate but keep the yards mowed. To avoid destabalizing the rental industry they might want to require the homeless to mantain a few properties to live in one for free.

The Land Bank is ignoring all of the policies and procedures they set in place for their operation. They pick and choose who will get property and decline to sell property to people without clot.

THE LAND BANK IS CONTINUING TO BE DEVELOPERS. FLINT WAS CITED BY HUD FOR THE BERRIDGE HOTEL RENOVATION BECAUSE THEIR PARTNER WAS UNABLE TO SELL THE UNITS. SALEM HOUSING AND FLINT WERE CITED BY HUD BECAUSE THE LEASE-TO-BUY SALES WERE NOT CONSUMATED AND THE UNITS BECAME RENTALS. SALEM HOUSING CONTINUES TO GET SPECIAL DEALS WHEN HOUSES THEY HAVE REHABBED HAVE BEEN ON THE MARKET FOR YEARS.

WHEN SALEM WAS REHABBING HOUSES IN THE SMITH VILLAGE AREA, THE HOMEOWNERS WENT TO THE MEDIA AND CITY HALL OVER THE SHABBY WORK. SALEM HOUSING USED INEXPERIENCED HOMEOWNERS FOR WORK PAID FOR BY HUD. RECORDS WERE ALTERED AND SOME CLAIM THERE WERE TWO SETS OF BOOKS. EVEN HUD CAUGHT THE CHANGES IN RECORDS.

YET THE LAND BANK IS SAVING ALL PROPERTIES IN THE METAWANEENEE DISTRICT FOR SALEM. A MAN THAT IS LEGALLY BLIND AND LIKED THE AREA TRIED TO BUY A HOME AND WAS TOLD ONLY SALEM COULD BUY THE HOME.

WHO WILL BE PAYING FOR THIS NEW DEVELOPMENT. MOST OF THE LAND IS OWNED BY THE LAND BANK, FLINT, SALEM, AND METAWANEENEE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP LLC . THE ONLY REASON TO ASSEMBLE THIS LAND IS FOR DEVELOPMENT. THE AREA BETWEEN FIFTH AVENUE AND WELCH AND DUPONT TO CHEVROLET IS RAPIDLY BEING DEMOLISHED.

i MET A GENTLEMAN WHO WAS ANGRY BECAUSE HE WANTED TO BUY SEVERAL LOTS TO FARM. HE WAS TOLD HIS PROPOSAL WAS UNACCEPTABLE BECAUSE THE LAND BANK HAD DEVELOPMENT PLANS FOR THOSE LOTS.

CITIZENS THROUGHOUT THE CITY COMPLAIN ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO PURCHASE LAND AND YET THE LAND BANK CANNOT PAY THEIR OWN WAY FOR BLIGHT CONTROL.

WHEN A BROWNFIELD IS DEVELOPED AND SOLD, THE LAND BANK KEEPS THE TAX MONEY FOR THE NEXT 20 YEARS, THANKS TO DEALS STRUCK BY DAN KILDEE.
Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:50 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Doug Weiland, Executive Director of the Land Bank

Weiland & Associates was formed in 1983 and specializes in the area of business-to-business marketing. The firm is engaged in all facets of marketing and public relations consulting, including: market research and public opinion polling; market planning and promotional campaigns; educational materials and seminar development; public relations programming; and public affairs programs such as issue education and grassroots communications programs.

Weiland & Associates is a member in good standing with the American Marketing Association (AMA - www.ama.org), Small Business Association of Michigan (SBAM - www.sbam.org), American Society for Quality (ASQ - www.asq.org), the Society of Competitive Intelligence Professionals (SCIP - www.scip.org), the Flint Area Chamber of Commerce (www.flintchamber.org), and the Grand Blanc Chamber of Commerce (www.).

Douglas K. Weiland, founder and President, has a Master of Science in Personnel Labor Relations Administration (1980 Central Michigan University) and a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Administration (1973 General Motors Institute). Mr. Weiland has also served as an adjunct faculty member for the Detroit College of Business, the University of Michigan - Flint, Baker College, and Kettering University (formerly GMI Engineering & Management Institute) where he has taught courses in strategic management, small business management, retailing, marketing, market research, advertising and promotional strategies, and business policy & strategy. Mr. Weiland was a 1995 delegate to the White House Conference on Small Business where he served on the Technology Committee.

Mr. Weiland is a founding member of the Board of Directors of the Great Lakes Trade Corridor Association. The Great Lakes Trade Corridor Association (GLTCA) is a bilateral initiative, created to facilitate cooperation between public and private interests of Lower Canada and the Midwestern United States as the two nations handle regional issues of commerce, culture, and community development. To learn more about the GLTCA go to www.gltca.org.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weiland & Associates- Political Consulting

We can provide the following services to help in the management of a successful campaign:
General Campaign Consulting
Campaign Planning & Strategy
Secondary Research for Targeting Voters
Polling for Issue and Message Development
Media Consulting for Message Development and Placement
Opposition Research
Developing Fundraising Strategies

For further information, please fill out the form below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When asked at an advisory meeting of the Land Bank why his employee, former County Commissioner Raynetta Speed was participating illegally in fifth ward politics, all Weiland could say is "I need her". Did he need her for the Democratic black caucus meetings being held in the north side of Flint as rumor has it?
Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:12 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

TLC needed, but no rent, for some historic homes

Post Fri May 25, 2012 1:41 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Wayne County treasury officials are going door-to-door striking controversial deals with whomever is living inside about 1,500 of the more than 6,000 tax-forclosed properties

"the city says it prefers occupied homes to unsold lots and is willing to sell the properties for as little as $500"

Post Sun May 27, 2012 8:36 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Parcels owned by governmental entities, such as the Genesee County Land Bank, are exempt from taxes under state law. After adjusting the number of taxed parcels to remove those governmental entities, the per-parcel fee was increased, officials said in a news release .

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:55 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

FROM:lwvmiflint12 TO:Adam Ford Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:12 PM
Receipt of Responses

Dear Adam Ford,

Thank you for replying to our 2012 voter guide questionnaire. We appreciate your participation. Here is a copy of your submission:

City/Town
Flint
Education
BBA - University of Michigan Flint
Experience
I've been involved with politics for about 6 years. I have a lot of customer service experience and enjoy working with the public.
Community Involvement
I've been involved with various groups in Flint and have been on a committee or two. I've also attended numerous Flint city council meetings and community meetings in Flint. I'm also active on the internet. (mlive, flinttalk.com as well as Facebook)
Web Site
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id...
Endorsements
Campaign Message
The Land Bank is a failure. We need to rebuild Flint and Genesee County and not tear it down. The Land Bank costs tax payer dollars to run. It reduces government revenue and creates eye sores for our community.

How has your experience qualified you for this position?
I live in a neighborhood that is ravaged by the Land Bank. I am also aware of the problems caused by it such as lost revenue for the city of Flint and eyesores in our community. In addition the Land Bank costs money to run. I think we need to put property back on the tax roles and either sell it or tear it down and not let property sit so it can be raided by thieves and become eyesores in our community.

What are your top priorities for this position?
1. End the Land Bank 2. Put properties back on the tax roles. 3. Tear down the properties that are beyond repair. 4. Push for lower taxes and water bills so less homes have to be abandoned by their owners in the city of Flint. 5. make it easier to buy County Treasurer properties. 6. Lower taxes so people can afford their homes. 7. Lower water bills. I would try and talk county leaders into lowering water bills by using the Flint river and available water in our drains.

If elected, what improvements would you make within the Treasurer’s office in order to better serve your constituents?
I would fight to eliminate the Land Bank. This would give the county more money to fight crime since the county pays the Land Bank to sit on vacant properties. I would also put property back on the tax roles. This would bring in revenue to the City of Flint as well as Genesee County. I would also try and tear down the properties that are now beyond repair. I would also try and make it easier for people to buy County Treasurer owned homes and push for lower taxes so people can afford their homes.

The League of Women Voters-Flint Area reserves the right to review all responses.

Again, we would like to thank you for participating in this year's Interactive Electronic Voter Guide. It will go live the week of July 9, 2012. We will send you an email once the Voter Guide is available. If you have questions, you may contact us at lwvflint@yahoo.com.

Sincerely,
Voter Service Committee
League of Women Voters-Flint Area
www.lwvflintarea.org

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:17 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: