FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: LAND BANK FLINT'S BIGGEST SLUM LORD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Is The Genesee County Land Bank Flint's Worst Slum Lord?
Yes, they have bitten off more than they can chew
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
No, they are just trying to take over all the property in Flint.
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
RECALL DAN KILDEE - Lets Clean Flint Up.
55%
 55%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 34

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I own a ton of property of here and have to say these developments have been great for this neighborhood. I have to say Dan Kildee and The Land Bank have done wonders when it comes to developments like this!!!

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
And screw the rest of the city, right?

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

I own a ton of property of here and have to say these developments have been great for this neighborhood. I have to say Dan Kildee and The Land Bank have done wonders when it comes to developments like this!!!

Don't you live in Carriage town where the land bank has focused on? If I was an elitist and the land bank was focused on my neighborhood I would have to agree with you.
Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:51 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Marko Rollo schreef:
Here's everyone's chance to become a land tycoon. 400+ parcels being auctioned on September 11th. From tear-downs on the north side to empty lots on Lake Fenton.

As a side note, parcel #400 is several dozen properties listed together with a minimum bid of $2mill. Anyone know what that's all about?

I went to some of the auction today. The news media also attended. I wonder if they saw the post on Flinttalk. There was also many new bidders in the audience. Anyways the auction went o.k. Many parcels were not bidded on perhaps even a majority of them.

I wasn't thriled with how the Treasurer decided which properties he wanted the Land Bank to have and I think the county should be willing to take more "loses" (sell at less than taxes owed) instead of just tearing everything down.

There was over 300 properties auctioned today and I guess they will do it again in 2 months or so.

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:58 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Adam You think I am a elitist?? Do you even realize what efforts people in my neighborhood have done to improve it? Do you realize what we deal with in this area still on a daily basis? I would hardly consider people that live in Carriage Town elitists. Besides Carriage Town is in a area that is surrounded by important things for this city. ( between to universities, between downtown and a Major Hospital ). Also it is in a area that just so happened to have The Durant Hotel in its bounderies. The Land Bank isn't just doing work in Carriage Town, but all over the city. It also is an area that is very important for the sustainability of major institutions that create thousands of jobs for this city.

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Don't you live in Carriage town where the land bank has focused on? If I was an elitist and the land bank was focused on my neighborhood I would have to agree with you.

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I am not sure the exact reasoning for bundling the properties but I think it has something to do with by law they have to offer all the properties for the public to purchase. And by bundling them all together it makes them comply with the law, but it really puts those properties out of reach for the common person to buy. (A lot of those properties in the bundle are ones of high redevelopment value.) Anyone else know for sure the reasoning behind this?

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
quote:
Marko Rollo schreef:
Here's everyone's chance to become a land tycoon. 400+ parcels being auctioned on September 11th. From tear-downs on the north side to empty lots on Lake Fenton.

As a side note, parcel #400 is several dozen properties listed together with a minimum bid of $2mill. Anyone know what that's all about?

I went to some of the auction today. The news media also attended. I wonder if they saw the post on Flinttalk. There was also many new bidders in the audience. Anyways the auction went o.k. Many parcels were not bidded on perhaps even a majority of them.

I wasn't thriled with how the Treasurer decided which properties he wanted the Land Bank to have and I think the county should be willing to take more "loses" (sell at less than taxes owed) instead of just tearing everything down.

There was over 300 properties auctioned today and I guess they will do it again in 2 months or so.

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:40 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Adam's quote:

****I wasn't thriled with how the Treasurer decided which properties he wanted the Land Bank to have and I think the county should be willing to take more "loses" (sell at less than taxes owed) instead of just tearing everything down.*****

Um...what?

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:56 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Adam You think I am a elitist?? Do you even realize what efforts people in my neighborhood have done to improve it? Do you realize what we deal with in this area still on a daily basis? I would hardly consider people that live in Carriage Town elitists. Besides Carriage Town is in a area that is surrounded by important things for this city. ( between to universities, between downtown and a Major Hospital ). Also it is in a area that just so happened to have The Durant Hotel in its bounderies. The Land Bank isn't just doing work in Carriage Town, but all over the city. It also is an area that is very important for the sustainability of major institutions that create thousands of jobs for this city.

The land bank is NOT doing work all over the city! They ignore the East & North sides. They're too busy trying to create an Ann Arbor clone to care about the ordinary folks in the neighborhoods.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
brianstarr
F L I N T O I D

i would like to say maybe ryan eashoo and some of these other people need to come into the north side of flint or even the east side and see for themselves just how the land bank has completely forgotten and failed in these areas as and example just drive by the buildings on the corner of dupont and dayton and you can see a perfect example of how the land bank is handling things or even drive down dayton street heading towards civic park school as another example so you can see a whole block of nothing but over grown lots and rotting abandoned housing.the land bank is doing nothing in the east side and north side of flint and thats one of the reasons were being over run with skunks and raccoons in these areas and when you complain to the land bank like i have you just get ignored probably cause i dont live in the carriage town or down town area
Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:01 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

I was mainly just making the point the the Land Bank is not about equality.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:38 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

I am not sure the exact reasoning for bundling the properties but I think it has something to do with by law they have to offer all the properties for the public to purchase. And by bundling them all together it makes them comply with the law, but it really puts those properties out of reach for the common person to buy. (A lot of those properties in the bundle are ones of high redevelopment value.) Anyone else know for sure the reasoning behind this?

To clarify I thought they explained it pretty well. On the brights side the bundling does make the auction go more smoothly and it does help protect people from buying some bad properties and it does help with the one dollar side lot program and to steer properties into the land bank but I'm more of a free market kind of guy.

The main thing Dan Kildee was able to do was get the foreclosure process speeded up. Aside from that I think we still may have been able to stick with more of a free market approach but I guess we may never know.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:42 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
Adam's quote:

****I wasn't thriled with how the Treasurer decided which properties he wanted the Land Bank to have and I think the county should be willing to take more "loses" (sell at less than taxes owed) instead of just tearing everything down.*****

Um...what?

I think they could sell more property and put more property back on the tax rolls.

There was some commercial property I might have been interested if the price was right but I assume the Land Bank will just tear it down instead of allowing job creation.

If the County Treasurer KIldee doesn't get the minimum bid they can come back and offer properties again with no minimum bid but apparently they very rarely do that. I think they should do that much more often.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:47 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
brianstarr schreef:
i would like to say maybe ryan eashoo and some of these other people need to come into the north side of flint or even the east side and see for themselves just how the land bank has completely forgotten and failed in these areas as and example just drive by the buildings on the corner of dupont and dayton and you can see a perfect example of how the land bank is handling things or even drive down dayton street heading towards civic park school as another example so you can see a whole block of nothing but over grown lots and rotting abandoned housing.the land bank is doing nothing in the east side and north side of flint and thats one of the reasons were being over run with skunks and raccoons in these areas and when you complain to the land bank like i have you just get ignored probably cause i dont live in the carriage town or down town area

I'm not sure if the North End and Eastside would even need the "special help" that certain areas recieve from the Land Bank if they would cut us lose. Why not let people buy commercial property and residences for dirt cheap in the North End and East Side if they can be fixed up for a few grand? Obviously some properties need to be torn down but thats what condemnations are for. At the sale the Treasurer's office did a good job of warning us about buying any condemned properties.

On a brighter note the guy that owns Landmark grocery store in the north end was buying properties like crazy. I assume they were in the north end so there is some hope for people in the north end even if it's not coming from the city or Land Bank/Treasurer. He would have a vested interest in keeping the housing stock intact and the houses occupied in the north end.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:56 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Ever been in Landmark?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Brian I am up in those areas a lot, I go to civic park area almost every other week. My familys good friend owns the Balkan Bakery and I go there a lot too. I agree its terrible up there as well, and we need to come together as a community and get this city cleaned up. Talk about Pork Barrell spending, I wish this city would hire a full time set of lobbists to get more earmarks for this city. I would love to help you in anyway possible Brian!! If I can help or you want to pick my brian please let me know, I live in the 5th ward.

quote:
brianstarr schreef:

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:02 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying that Adam. I would suggest calling Dan Kildee up and scheduling a meeting with him. Tell him your concerns and see what you can work out. Him and I don't always agree with each other, however he is a very fair guy.

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

I was mainly just making the point the the Land Bank is not about equality.

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:06 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: