FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Superintendent gets a raise

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/06/flint_superintendent_linda_tho.html

FLINT, Michigan --Â The Board of Education approved a three-year contract for Superintendent Linda Thompson on Wednesday, six months after officially naming her to the Flint school district's top spot.

Thompson will receive a base salary of $160,500 --Â $7,500 more than her predecessor, Walter Milton Jr. -- for the 2008-09 school year that begins July 1. She will receive $166,000 for the 2009-10 school year and $171,800 the year after that.

Thompson also will receive a $7,700 signing bonus, a $600 expense stipend and use of a district-owned vehicle.

Thompson called the agreement a formality after the board meeting Wednesday.
"I've been doing this for a year now," she said.

Board members applauded the agreement and said they were looking forward to seeing what changes Thompson will make as superintendent. The cash-strapped Flint school district recently closed four schools, pink-slipped more than 100 teachers and is facing a projected $12-million deficit next year.

"As the city's face is changing, so is the Flint schools' face changing," board President Vera Perry said. "We're looking forward to these exciting things to happen that you (Thompson) said were going to happen."

A home-grown administrator, Thompson has worked for the district 31 years in several roles, working her way up the ranks from teacher to assistant principal to principal to central administrator.

Thompson had made $142,500 as interim superintendent and $117,000 before that as the district's executive director of transition.

Thompson has yet to sign this most recent contract, said Kendall Williams, attorney for the school district.

Also on Wednesday, the board approved the purchase of new science textbooks for eighth and 12th graders for $135,438.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:47 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

For comparison:

http://db.lsj.com/community/dc/som/index.php?textfield=granholm&textfield2=&select=%25&select2=%25&Search=Search

Lawmakers' salaries
Salaries for Michigan elected officials are set by recommendation of the State Officers Compensation Commission.
According to the SOCC, elected officials' salaries are as follows:
• Governor Granholm: $177,000 plus a $60,000 expense account
• Lt. Gov. John Cherry: $123,900 plus a $20,000 expense account
• Supreme Court justices: $164,610
• State senators and representatives: $79,650 per year plus a $12,000 expense account
• Lawmakers in leadership positions can earn up to an additional $27,000 per year
• Attorney General Mike Cox: $124,900
• Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land: $124,900
Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:50 am 
KW
F L I N T O I D

Well, given your stats for comparison, she certainly is making a very good salary. If she can run the district better than it has been run, I guess she will be worth it. Still, it somehow does not look good. I work in the District. The kids need a ton of things. They are going without. The staff goes without.

Confused
Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:39 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
KW schreef:
The kids need a ton of things. They are going without. The staff goes without.

Meanwhile there are probably a few dozen administrators or more making $100,000 + per year. Michigan schools get around $10,000 per year per student. From what I have heard far too much of that money goes to the administration in Flint.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:33 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: