FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: GM's 100 Birthday Not Worth Celebrating in Flint, Michigan
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should We Be Having a Birthday Party or Funeral for General Motors in Flint Michigan?
Birthday Party,, I love Cake and a Buick
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Funeral,, GM has forgot who made it what it is today.
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

The City of Flint gave birth to General Motors 100 years ago, nurtured it and helped it become what it is today, only to be cast aside and virtually forgotten. Now here we are celebrating its anniversary, planning parties, parades and cake walks as if it's 1908.

What are we celebrating??? I don't know about you folks, but celebrating human tragedy isn't that exciting. Since GM's decision to abandon its birthplace, there has not been much to celebrate. The first 75 years of General Motors in Flint was one of cooperation. Both the company and city flourished. We provided large chunks of land, dedicated hard working men, provided tax breaks and in turn we received good pay and the city coffers swelled.

The biggest joke we could ever play on ourselves would be to pay homage to General Motors for its 100th birthday. This would be, in effect, little different than sending a birthday cake to your mother who is sitting on death row responsible for killing your father, who she killed for no other reason than she didn't want another plate at the table. Yes, General Motors is our mother - the person that brought us in the world, but the pain she's brought overcomes that. It Outweighs it. By her actions, she has forfeited her rights to our respect and admiration. We do not celebrate her existence as our mother, we curse her existence as a murderer.

General Motors is no longer our mother. She died the day Roger & Me came out and exposed the wrongful and disproportionate outsourcing of jobs and plant closings that , looking back on Roger Smith's career, were just the begining of a long hard fall for GM that will culminate this year and mark the fact GM is no longer the world's #1 automaker.

Let 2008 mark the first year Flint no longer recognizes GM. No flowers, no cards, no warm wishes,no anything. In fact, we should be preparing for a funeral, not a birthday. I have even heard that GM hasn't provided that much assistence for the birthday celebration.

Let 2008 be the first year in a short countdown to the day that is coming when, as we all know the sun will rise in the east and set in the west and there will have not been a single automobile, truck ,car or engine built in Flint, Michigan. Not so much as even a keystroke will be typed on behalf of GM in Flint. When that day comes, and believe me it is coming soon, it will truly mark the end of an era and perhaps we can finally , once and for all rid ourselves of this fallen giant and all the problems it has caused us. Then may we be able to move on without the what ifs, how comes or maybe it cans......

So no birthday celebration for GM, instead let Mexico throw a Feliz Cumpleanos, which is Happy Birthday in Spanish. GM can whack at all the birthday pinatas it wants.

No doubt Flint will be one of those pinatas, sure to bring plenty of laughs to GM at the expense of our beloved City.. Eleanor Roosevelt had a great quote: "No one can take your dignity without your permission", it's time Flint,Michigan stops giving permission...

Ryan M. Eashoo, Flint Michigan

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Brian Warner
F L I N T O I D

I quit my stable job 2 years ago to attempt a career @ GM. Brought in under a "temp" status, I worked really hard and obtained severe injuries that I hid and worked through, not looking for a pat on the back, just trying like hell to keep a good paying job. Did not miss a single day of work in 8 months. Although we (a group of about 70 temps) were told by the UAW that there was a good chance that we would be laid off the following spring, they also told us that they were going to do everything in their power to keep us aboard.

I was making the tier 1 starting wage (the good money) and it was still a parallel move financially for me. I took a risk and gave up my seniority including three weeks vac and nearly two weeks worth of sick days I had earned over a period of time. I did this to pursue the possibility of better future pay and killer benefits (which were not reasonably offered to me by my previous employer.) I put faith in GM (I know, I know silly me). I wanted the money dad had been making all of those years.

I was laid off as I expected, in late April '07. Not a big deal, because I was told by my supervisor "more than likely you will get a call back to work in July." Alright! , a two month vacation! I was called back to work in late June. The same day I was called to report back to work I drove to the plant for drug screening, administrative paperwork, name badge, the whole nine yards. It was a Friday, and I was to report to work Monday, but wait! As I arrived home from the screening that day (that's right, the very day I was called to report to work), I was called again to be told that the call back had been canceled, DO NOT REPORT TO WORK MONDAY! I immediately called the union rep and asked WTF? No worries! They're just waiting until after shut down and they'll call you back. Whew! Good deal, another two weeks off of work. Unemployment money wasn't quite cutting the mustard, but it was okay, it was only temporary until I got the call back. NEVER HAPPENED FOLKS!

I was able to return to my old faithful job in September and have been working there since. I lost all of my seniority and started back out at scratch. It's okay, because I appreciate the loyalty, I only wish I had stayed loyal to them.

Received a phone call yesterday from GM. They want me to report back to work as of Monday 6/30, all right! Big money, bright future! The pay is tier 2 (approx. $7 p/hour less than I was making). No thank you UAW/GM you've slapped me around enough already. I apologize if I sound a tad bitter. I am fortunate to have the job I now do. Not looking for sympathy votes, just telling one of many (I'm sure) GM sob stories. Hind sight is 20/20. I can't help but feel foolish. Nice post Ryan.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:43 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Brian thanks for the post on here, haven't seen on ya flint talk before, but then again i have been working a ton lately.. GM has given my family a good income for many years, however it didn't come without stress, headace and pain. I am grateful for what GM has done for Flint, however the negative has surpassed the positives.

The reason we have the top unemployment in the nation, highest crime rate, abandon houses, poverty, 100,000 less people than 50 years ago, 80,000 less GM jobs is because of General Motors.

quote:
Brian Warner schreef:
I quit my stable job 2 years ago to attempt a career @ GM. Brought in under a "temp" status, I worked really hard and obtained severe injuries that I hid and worked through, not looking for a pat on the back, just trying like hell to keep a good paying job. Did not miss a single day of work in 8 months. Although we (a group of about 70 temps) were told by the UAW that there was a good chance that we would be laid off the following spring, they also told us that they were going to do everything in their power to keep us aboard.

I was making the tier 1 starting wage (the good money) and it was still a parallel move financially for me. I took a risk and gave up my seniority including three weeks vac and nearly two weeks worth of sick days I had earned over a period of time. I did this to pursue the possibility of better future pay and killer benefits (which were not reasonably offered to me by my previous employer.) I put faith in GM (I know, I know silly me). I wanted the money dad had been making all of those years.

I was laid off as I expected, in late April '07. Not a big deal, because I was told by my supervisor "more than likely you will get a call back to work in July." Alright! , a two month vacation! I was called back to work in late June. The same day I was called to report back to work I drove to the plant for drug screening, administrative paperwork, name badge, the whole nine yards. It was a Friday, and I was to report to work Monday, but wait! As I arrived home from the screening that day (that's right, the very day I was called to report to work), I was called again to be told that the call back had been canceled, DO NOT REPORT TO WORK MONDAY! I immediately called the union rep and asked WTF? No worries! They're just waiting until after shut down and they'll call you back. Whew! Good deal, another two weeks off of work. Unemployment money wasn't quite cutting the mustard, but it was okay, it was only temporary until I got the call back. NEVER HAPPENED FOLKS!

I was able to return to my old faithful job in September and have been working there since. I lost all of my seniority and started back out at scratch. It's okay, because I appreciate the loyalty, I only wish I had stayed loyal to them.

Received a phone call yesterday from GM. They want me to report back to work as of Monday 6/30, all right! Big money, bright future! The pay is tier 2 (approx. $7 p/hour less than I was making). No thank you UAW/GM you've slapped me around enough already. I apologize if I sound a tad bitter. I am fortunate to have the job I now do. Not looking for sympathy votes, just telling one of many (I'm sure) GM sob stories. Hind sight is 20/20. I can't help but feel foolish. Nice post Ryan.

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

The reason we have the top unemployment in the nation, highest crime rate, abandon houses, poverty, 100,000 less people than 50 years ago, 80,000 less GM jobs is because of General Motors.

So it's all GM's fault? It had nothing to do with people feeling entitled to good paying jobs no matter what their work ethic was? Nothing to do with ultra militant local unions acting as though GM was the devil incarnate? Nothing to do with schools that couldn't provide 'graduates" with the needed skills? Nothing to do with people thinking Gm will be here forever, there's no need to diversify?

Been there & did that for 40 years on the plant floor.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

And lets not forget all those who felt they just had to have that Toyota , Subaru, or Honda cause some auto expert in some stupid auto magazine said they were so much better than anything made by Ford, Gm or Chrysler.

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:45 am 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Dave thinks that if unions shlep and grovel at the feet of their global overlords they will be nicer to them and their communities. The UAW has been trying that for 30 years! Check the stats: capitulation doesn't save jobs or keep plants open – cooperation will never stop a global capitalism's primary driver: do everything as cheap as possible. Proof of that is the fact that the 'skills' you refer to are NOT a saving grace. Ask the engineers who've been outsourced too:

Link

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:33 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Public D schreef:
Dave thinks that if unions shlep and grovel at the feet of their global overlords they will be nicer to them and their communities. The UAW has been trying that for 30 years! Check the stats: capitulation doesn't save jobs or keep plants open – cooperation will never stop a global capitalism's primary driver: do everything as cheap as possible. Proof of that is the fact that the 'skills' you refer to are NOT a saving grace. Ask the engineers who've been outsourced too:

Fighting GM every step of the way led to the closing of Buick City. I know; I was there. A measure of cooperation led to Flint Engine South. Where in my post did I say grovel? From your point of view, the union is always right and management is always wrong.

If you haven't figured it out, I'm a retired UAW member.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Right is right. Wrong is wrong. Both the UAW and GM have made huge mistakes – some of the worst, 'together.' Congratulations on being there to watch.

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:41 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Buick city, a possible upgrade to flex line for more diverse product capability and make products more competitive ,ask union to relax some skilled trades rules to make things more efficent. Militant union says screw you we arent changing a thing in fact maybe we will strike if ya try it. GM says see ya and closes Buick city end of story. Mean while America continues love affair with Japanesee imports. I was there also hey PD what plant were you in.

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:44 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Buick city, a possible upgrade to flex line for more diverse product capability and make products more competitive ,ask union to relax some skilled trades rules to make things more efficent. Militant union says screw you we arent changing a thing in fact maybe we will strike if ya try it. GM says see ya and closes Buick city end of story. Mean while America continues love affair with Japanesee imports. I was there also hey PD what plant were you in.

The day the GM big wheels were at Buick City to consider putting in the flex body shop, a large group of workers put on a loud "demonstration" demanding that all of the installation be done by local 599 people. That was the end of the flex body shop, and Buick City. It all went to Lake Orion.

twotap - Plant 12, 65-67 Plant 70, 67-72 Got an apprenticeship in Sept 72 as an electrician. Except for the oil crunch when I got bounced to 16, 10, &36, I was in 70 - the foundry - until it closed, then helped build 81 in it's place & worked there until feb 05, when I retired.

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:52 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Dave most of my GM career took place in fact 36 except for a short hiatus to fact 5 brought on by the dark hours of the Carter presidency.

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:24 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

A friend of mine sent me a response to my opionion i posted on here, I wanna share it with all of you.

Dear Ryan,

I just had this whole response typed out about how GM single handedly put my family in the poor house by pulling out of Flint. And somehow, it just disappeared.

Hmmm...

They used to do hundreds of thousands of dollars in business with my dad when his shop was right down the street from one of the plants in Flint.

You pull that sort of profit out of a mom and pop shop, what do you think is going to happen?

I'd like to extend a big, hearty "vulgar language you!" To AC, Delco Remey, GM, Delphi or whatever else they would like to divide themselves into.

I would also like to extend the same kindness to all of the GM vehicle drivers who feel they are doing a great service to their country by "Buying American". You're not buying American. Go take your oil filter off, it's made in Mexico. Go take your blower motor resistor out, it's made in Slovenia. Go look at your brake rotors and drums, they're made in China. And if you think that's no big deal, keep in mind that those parts aren't being shipped to Flint, Michigan to be made. Or Texas, or Indiana, they're being shipped to places like Ottowa, Canada, or Taco-ville, Mexico. Not here.

You know where Toyota is made? Texas. Indiana. Toyota came here. Honda came here. Hyundai came here.

GM left. (And look at Chrysler and Ford while you're at it!)

So the next time the GM supporters and spoiled rotten union workers want to get on their soap boxes and strike because they're not getting paid enough, or strike because they're not getting good enough healh benefits, they're not getting a big enough employee discount or their spoiled ass kids aren't getting enough money for their college educations, keep in mind all the people GM dicked on their way out of town.

Remember the livelihoods that were ruined and the people who are now homeless or really close to it.

It's not 1933 anymore.

Look at what Flint gave and look at what GM left behind.

Happy very Birthday, GM.

Thanks for showing us what pure greed and ignorance looks like. And Thanks Ryan for having the balls to post this.

A Friend in Flint

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:25 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

True, however when most of the plant closings occurred in Flint, Michignan, GM was making record profits in the Billions.

quote:
twotap schreef:
And lets not forget all those who felt they just had to have that Toyota , Subaru, or Honda cause some auto expert in some stupid auto magazine said they were so much better than anything made by Ford, Gm or Chrysler.

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:35 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

In the U.S., the top 1% of people control 90% of its wealth.

In Japan, the bottom 60% of people control 90% of the wealth.

I think that speaks volumes.

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:59 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Oh, and one more thing:

I agree, big whoop. I don't know what there is to celebrate, exactly.

But you can bet that the Flint Journal won't EVER let an opportunity like this go by. Special section! = ad dollars

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:01 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: