FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Michael Moore helps sock even more $ into Michigan economy
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

Northern Michigan's film industry from Michael Moore's perspective

By Rick Coates / The Northern Express

(Editor’s Note: During his two hour exclusive interview with Rick Coates, Michael Moore shared his insights on the film industry in Northern Michigan as well as some details and thoughts on the upcoming Traverse City Film Festival.)

At the start of the very first Traverse City Film Festival four years ago Michael Moore walked onto the stage to welcome the attendees. He made several comments about the impact the Festival was already having on Northern Michigan as well as its impact for the future.

Moore promised stars and celebrities and he has delivered Malcolm McDowell, Jeff Daniels, Christina Lahti, among others. This year he is bringing in Madonna. He promised that Traverse City and the region would see a new culture. Just ask downtown businesses if things are different since Moore came to town.

Eventually Moore promised (at last year’s Festival) to renovate the State Theatre, and in a feat that would make any general contractor jealous, Moore delivered what many thought would be impossible. Whispers around town were that it would take years to do what he was proposing to do in four months. Moore simply took a play from the Larry the Cable Guy play book “Git –R-Done.”

So back to the first Film Festival. On that same stage Moore also made bold predictions about how the Film Festival would serve as a catalyst for economic development, and how the culture of the region would change. If you ask merchants in downtown Traverse City, they will tell you that is exactly what has happened. Moore also made another bold prediction.

“We are going to bring directors and producers to this Film Festival and they are going to see how great this area is and how conducive it is for making films,” said Moore. “The film industry will create a whole new year round economy for Northern Michigan.”

Moore was right again.

His phone is ringing off the hook from those in Hollywood.

“When the new film incentives were established, some in Hollywood said that it was an Internet rumor,” laughed Moore. “My agent Ari Emmanuel called and asked if this was real. I told him, yes it is real, and he responded ‘I am getting this out to all of my clients because no state has anything close to this.’ Ari has been to the Film Festival and knows what this area has to offer.”

As word has spread through the industry about Michigan’s new film industry incentives, the number of film projects has escalated. Prior to the incentives, only a couple of projects were on the books. Moore was working on his latest documentary and producer Bob Brown had planned to film his next movie in Michigan.

“Just after the incentives went into effect, about a dozen projects came into play. Then two months ago we were at 20, and as of today I am aware of 32 projects being considered for Michigan,” said Moore. “Some of those are being planned for Northern Michigan.”

As for particulars of projects planned for Northern Michigan, Moore is aware of several, but is not in a position to provide too much information.

“I have offered my services as an unpaid ambassador to promote filmmaking in Northern Michigan,” said Moore. “So yes, top producers and directors have been in contact with me about the viability of film projects in Northern Michigan. But I can’t comment on them at this time as my conversations have been in confidence. Some information has leaked out, such as the Stephen King movie.”

While Moore is unable to give insider information about possible film projects for Northern Michigan, he is willing to share what he feels is something more important: what Northern Michigan needs to do to prepare for the film industry.

“Let me start first by saying what this industry will mean to the economy of Northern Michigan,” said Moore. “It will mean jobs and money being poured into the economy that won’t require building new roads or factories.”

Moore was quick to point out that these won’t be your typical low paying seasonal jobs.

“Here is the thing about this industry. The 22 year old right out of college working the lowest paying job on the set makes $800 a week. The medium income on the set is $1,500 a week,” said Moore. “If you factor in overtime pay, most people working on a film will make more money in three months than they would make at other seasonal jobs in the area for a whole year.”

But aren’t these jobs seasonal?

“Look, if the typical project lasts six months, and say with overtime you make $2,000 a week. That is $52,000 in six months. For many in this area that is more than they make in a year,” said Moore. “My staff usually takes a year off after working a year because they have made the equivalent of two or three years’ worth of wages in one year. So then you have free time to maybe write that book you wanted or open that business you dreamed of.”

Moore also emphasized that as Northern Michigan builds a reputation for making films, that would result in several projects keeping people gainfully employed. He also said that he hopes this industry would encourage the many young film industry professionals who have left Michigan to return.

“I have my own Michigan affirmative action plan,” chuckles Moore. “I have based my filming operations out of New York (he has now closed his NY office and is based in Northern Michigan) and have always given a hiring priority to Michigan residents. I am hoping this new industry here will bring them back and will keep the ‘brain drain’ on this state from continuing.”

But what does Northern Michigan need to do to prepare itself for the film industry?

“There are several things. My biggest concerns right now is we lack the trained people. We don’t have the production facilities, such as a soundstage for the indoor scenes,” said Moore. “Here is the biggie and that is our attitude. Are we willing to work together and think outside the box to make this a viable industry here?”

Okay let’s start with the first issue–a trained staff. What do you propose?

“I suggest every state university and community college implement courses and degree programs to create a trained film industry workforce. But this business is also about hands on experience and I think incentives should be created to encourage production companies to hire ‘directors in training’ or other positions on the set for on the job training experience. I am a member of the Directors Guild and we have a program like this in place,” said Moore. “I am also going to set an example with my current film project. I am bringing in a veteran team but I am hiring people from Michigan without experience to learn this business. I believe this model will work and I will share it with others.”

What about facilities?

“This is going to take investment and entrepreneurs to step up to the plate,” said Moore. “The big thing is the soundstage. Without one, that part of filming will have to be done elsewhere. I have offered the State Theatre for one important part and that is viewing the dailies. Every day after the filming, the footage from that day is sent overnight to a lab and processed and shipped back to be viewed. So the producers and director want to watch the footage the next day in case something is not right and the scene needs to be reshot. So with the state of the facility here, this will be a big plus. Here is the kicker–the studios will pay a rental fee to us that we will reinvest into the State Theatre.”

Moore is somewhat reserved in his comments about “attitude” as he doesn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.

“Look, to put it simply, you have people like Clint Eastwood (Moore would not confirm that Eastwood is looking at Northern Michigan for his next endeavor, even though there have been Eastwood sightings in Petoskey and Grayling) planning their next projects in Michigan. I have witnessed certain businesses and people jacking up the prices on the "Hollywood types" when they come to town. If you do that, they are going to throw up their hands and not come back,” said Moore. “It is important that we have a united and cooperative front. What we need are people who are going to inspire, we need leadership out of our community officials. I have seen that side of Northern Michigan and that is what I am telling directors and producers who exist here. So our attitude will ultimately determine our future.”

So looking to the future, what do you see?

“A lot of films will be made here in Northern Michigan and we will have a new year round economy with solid paying jobs. We will see a return of the middle class Northern Michigan,” said Moore. “When you factor in the best incentive program anywhere and the fact that in Michigan we can make any setting work here, this is going to work in our favor. Even our diverse weather will ultimately help us more than it will hurt us.”

Any other predications?

“Yes, I see within five years we will have a Northwestern Michigan Film Office, with a full time paid staff person who will facilitate film projects,” said Moore. “Also in five years we still won’t find any weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.”

Inside The Film Festival

Okay, Michael, how about telling us some things about this year’s Festival that we don’t already know?

“We are definitely going to have a music theme this year,” said Moore. “I can’t say who because we are still working the details out but we are planning on some more big name musicians, including the possibility of a major rock band.”

What are your thoughts about the Madonna tickets that were sold for $25.00 a piece, now appearing on E-bay for more than $1,500 a piece?

“Look, when Madonna agreed to do this, we were just going to charge the regular ticket price,” said Moore. “I called her back and said how about we charge $25.00 with the money going to help your cause, and she agreed. We only sold two tickets to each person in line. I walked the line at 1 a.m. and saw single moms in sleeping bags with their kids, because their kids were eligible for two tickets. These are not professional scalpers, these are single moms and others struggling to make a buck. So I can’t fault them for what they are doing. It really paints a picture of the economy and the types of jobs we have here. I have asked that E-bay pull down false statements, such as these tickets will guarantee meeting Madonna.”

How about giving us one big name besides Madonna who will be in?

“I will give a clue,” said Moore. “We have one of the biggest television personalities of all time coming in for the Festival.”

So you have found a way to bring back Lucille Ball from the dead?

“No,” laughs Moore. “Another thing we are going to do at this year’s Festival is make a major announcement about our Fifth Anniversary Film Festival in 2009.”

Michael, you haven’t written a book in awhile. You are probably too busy for that?

“Not true,” said Moore. “On August 19 my new book will be out. It will be a humorous pocket guide to the 2008 election.”

What about your new film? What is the focus?

“I am not releasing details,” said Moore. “I will say this. I am making it in Michigan, I am hiring Michigan people and it should be released next year.”
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:06 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for the article. It's good to know where are tax dollars are going. Maybe Mike can raise his standar of living from the tax dollars we are using to discriminate against our local businesses to give to him and his pals.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:29 am 
Frappuhn
F L I N T O I D

Adam,
Just curious, could you please give me some examples
“of tax dollars we are using to discriminate against our local businesses”

I am trying to understand your opinions.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:55 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Oh boy here we go.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:05 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Tax subsidies are discriminatory. When you subsidies a certain industry you are taking money from other industries. If the film industry locates in Traverse City Flint and Genesee County businesses will have less money to stay in business and afford to hire employees thanks to discriminatory subsidies.

I think we should have favorable tax structures for all businesses in Michigan and not just the ones that Granholm and the geniuses in Lansing decide to promote. If Lansing beaurocrats are so smart why are jobs moving to other states? I think we need to let businesses run their businesses and get Lansing legislators and government officials off their backs.

Another legal way to descriminate is that you can make certain types of businesses illegal. I think Flint's home business ordinance and other things tha go along with it may be effective in discriminating against poor black and women a little/lot more than it discrimanates agains rich white males.

I could go on and on about ways to legally target and discriminate though but I'm opposed to discrimination.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:08 pm 
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

ROFL Adam!

Dude, have you ever heard of GENERAL MOTORS? They got more tax breaks from Flint over the past 100 years to build every damn car, truck, and spark plug out of pure gold. We're talking untold BILLIONS of dollars.

I usually ignore you as I find your political arguments flimsy, superficial, intellectually dishonest and sometimes downright hysterical, but it seems like you're more speaking your opinion, which is cool, rather than participating in a factual debate. Remember there is a difference.

Moving on.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:23 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Shawn Chittle schreef:
ROFL Adam!

Dude, have you ever heard of GENERAL MOTORS? They got more tax breaks from Flint over the past 100 years to build every damn car, truck, and spark plug out of pure gold. We're talking untold BILLIONS of dollars.

I usually ignore you as I find your political arguments flimsy, superficial, intellectually dishonest and sometimes downright hysterical, but it seems like you're more speaking your opinion, which is cool, rather than participating in a factual debate. Remember there is a difference.

Moving on.

Look where GM subsidies got us. Anolther brilliant move by elected officials.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:47 pm 
Frappuhn
F L I N T O I D

Adam,
Those brilliant moves by elected officials probly kept your daddy or grand daddy in a job.

You comments or opinions don't deserve a reply, I struggle for a way to put it into word for you to understand, but that's just it, you don't get it!

You lack the knowloge or expirence to formalate your own opinion without quoting one from a book.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:57 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for Sharing Shawn, this is yet another example of the AWESOME things Michael Moore continues to do for America!! Gosh just maybe if people here in Flint treated the guy better it would of happened here...

quote:
Shawn Chittle schreef:
Northern Michigan's film industry from Michael Moore's perspective

By Rick Coates / The Northern Express

(Editor’s Note: During his two hour exclusive interview with Rick Coates, Michael Moore shared his insights on the film industry in Northern Michigan as well as some details and thoughts on the upcoming Traverse City Film Festival.)

At the start of the very first Traverse City Film Festival four years ago Michael Moore walked onto the stage to welcome the attendees. He made several comments about the impact the Festival was already having on Northern Michigan as well as its impact for the future.

Moore promised stars and celebrities and he has delivered Malcolm McDowell, Jeff Daniels, Christina Lahti, among others. This year he is bringing in Madonna. He promised that Traverse City and the region would see a new culture. Just ask downtown businesses if things are different since Moore came to town.

Eventually Moore promised (at last year’s Festival) to renovate the State Theatre, and in a feat that would make any general contractor jealous, Moore delivered what many thought would be impossible. Whispers around town were that it would take years to do what he was proposing to do in four months. Moore simply took a play from the Larry the Cable Guy play book “Git –R-Done.”

So back to the first Film Festival. On that same stage Moore also made bold predictions about how the Film Festival would serve as a catalyst for economic development, and how the culture of the region would change. If you ask merchants in downtown Traverse City, they will tell you that is exactly what has happened. Moore also made another bold prediction.

“We are going to bring directors and producers to this Film Festival and they are going to see how great this area is and how conducive it is for making films,” said Moore. “The film industry will create a whole new year round economy for Northern Michigan.”

Moore was right again.

His phone is ringing off the hook from those in Hollywood.

“When the new film incentives were established, some in Hollywood said that it was an Internet rumor,” laughed Moore. “My agent Ari Emmanuel called and asked if this was real. I told him, yes it is real, and he responded ‘I am getting this out to all of my clients because no state has anything close to this.’ Ari has been to the Film Festival and knows what this area has to offer.”

As word has spread through the industry about Michigan’s new film industry incentives, the number of film projects has escalated. Prior to the incentives, only a couple of projects were on the books. Moore was working on his latest documentary and producer Bob Brown had planned to film his next movie in Michigan.

“Just after the incentives went into effect, about a dozen projects came into play. Then two months ago we were at 20, and as of today I am aware of 32 projects being considered for Michigan,” said Moore. “Some of those are being planned for Northern Michigan.”

As for particulars of projects planned for Northern Michigan, Moore is aware of several, but is not in a position to provide too much information.

“I have offered my services as an unpaid ambassador to promote filmmaking in Northern Michigan,” said Moore. “So yes, top producers and directors have been in contact with me about the viability of film projects in Northern Michigan. But I can’t comment on them at this time as my conversations have been in confidence. Some information has leaked out, such as the Stephen King movie.”

While Moore is unable to give insider information about possible film projects for Northern Michigan, he is willing to share what he feels is something more important: what Northern Michigan needs to do to prepare for the film industry.

“Let me start first by saying what this industry will mean to the economy of Northern Michigan,” said Moore. “It will mean jobs and money being poured into the economy that won’t require building new roads or factories.”

Moore was quick to point out that these won’t be your typical low paying seasonal jobs.

“Here is the thing about this industry. The 22 year old right out of college working the lowest paying job on the set makes $800 a week. The medium income on the set is $1,500 a week,” said Moore. “If you factor in overtime pay, most people working on a film will make more money in three months than they would make at other seasonal jobs in the area for a whole year.”

But aren’t these jobs seasonal?

“Look, if the typical project lasts six months, and say with overtime you make $2,000 a week. That is $52,000 in six months. For many in this area that is more than they make in a year,” said Moore. “My staff usually takes a year off after working a year because they have made the equivalent of two or three years’ worth of wages in one year. So then you have free time to maybe write that book you wanted or open that business you dreamed of.”

Moore also emphasized that as Northern Michigan builds a reputation for making films, that would result in several projects keeping people gainfully employed. He also said that he hopes this industry would encourage the many young film industry professionals who have left Michigan to return.

“I have my own Michigan affirmative action plan,” chuckles Moore. “I have based my filming operations out of New York (he has now closed his NY office and is based in Northern Michigan) and have always given a hiring priority to Michigan residents. I am hoping this new industry here will bring them back and will keep the ‘brain drain’ on this state from continuing.”

But what does Northern Michigan need to do to prepare itself for the film industry?

“There are several things. My biggest concerns right now is we lack the trained people. We don’t have the production facilities, such as a soundstage for the indoor scenes,” said Moore. “Here is the biggie and that is our attitude. Are we willing to work together and think outside the box to make this a viable industry here?”

Okay let’s start with the first issue–a trained staff. What do you propose?

“I suggest every state university and community college implement courses and degree programs to create a trained film industry workforce. But this business is also about hands on experience and I think incentives should be created to encourage production companies to hire ‘directors in training’ or other positions on the set for on the job training experience. I am a member of the Directors Guild and we have a program like this in place,” said Moore. “I am also going to set an example with my current film project. I am bringing in a veteran team but I am hiring people from Michigan without experience to learn this business. I believe this model will work and I will share it with others.”

What about facilities?

“This is going to take investment and entrepreneurs to step up to the plate,” said Moore. “The big thing is the soundstage. Without one, that part of filming will have to be done elsewhere. I have offered the State Theatre for one important part and that is viewing the dailies. Every day after the filming, the footage from that day is sent overnight to a lab and processed and shipped back to be viewed. So the producers and director want to watch the footage the next day in case something is not right and the scene needs to be reshot. So with the state of the facility here, this will be a big plus. Here is the kicker–the studios will pay a rental fee to us that we will reinvest into the State Theatre.”

Moore is somewhat reserved in his comments about “attitude” as he doesn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.

“Look, to put it simply, you have people like Clint Eastwood (Moore would not confirm that Eastwood is looking at Northern Michigan for his next endeavor, even though there have been Eastwood sightings in Petoskey and Grayling) planning their next projects in Michigan. I have witnessed certain businesses and people jacking up the prices on the "Hollywood types" when they come to town. If you do that, they are going to throw up their hands and not come back,” said Moore. “It is important that we have a united and cooperative front. What we need are people who are going to inspire, we need leadership out of our community officials. I have seen that side of Northern Michigan and that is what I am telling directors and producers who exist here. So our attitude will ultimately determine our future.”

So looking to the future, what do you see?

“A lot of films will be made here in Northern Michigan and we will have a new year round economy with solid paying jobs. We will see a return of the middle class Northern Michigan,” said Moore. “When you factor in the best incentive program anywhere and the fact that in Michigan we can make any setting work here, this is going to work in our favor. Even our diverse weather will ultimately help us more than it will hurt us.”

Any other predications?

“Yes, I see within five years we will have a Northwestern Michigan Film Office, with a full time paid staff person who will facilitate film projects,” said Moore. “Also in five years we still won’t find any weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.”

Inside The Film Festival

Okay, Michael, how about telling us some things about this year’s Festival that we don’t already know?

“We are definitely going to have a music theme this year,” said Moore. “I can’t say who because we are still working the details out but we are planning on some more big name musicians, including the possibility of a major rock band.”

What are your thoughts about the Madonna tickets that were sold for $25.00 a piece, now appearing on E-bay for more than $1,500 a piece?

“Look, when Madonna agreed to do this, we were just going to charge the regular ticket price,” said Moore. “I called her back and said how about we charge $25.00 with the money going to help your cause, and she agreed. We only sold two tickets to each person in line. I walked the line at 1 a.m. and saw single moms in sleeping bags with their kids, because their kids were eligible for two tickets. These are not professional scalpers, these are single moms and others struggling to make a buck. So I can’t fault them for what they are doing. It really paints a picture of the economy and the types of jobs we have here. I have asked that E-bay pull down false statements, such as these tickets will guarantee meeting Madonna.”

How about giving us one big name besides Madonna who will be in?

“I will give a clue,” said Moore. “We have one of the biggest television personalities of all time coming in for the Festival.”

So you have found a way to bring back Lucille Ball from the dead?

“No,” laughs Moore. “Another thing we are going to do at this year’s Festival is make a major announcement about our Fifth Anniversary Film Festival in 2009.”

Michael, you haven’t written a book in awhile. You are probably too busy for that?

“Not true,” said Moore. “On August 19 my new book will be out. It will be a humorous pocket guide to the 2008 election.”

What about your new film? What is the focus?

“I am not releasing details,” said Moore. “I will say this. I am making it in Michigan, I am hiring Michigan people and it should be released next year.”

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Frappuhn schreef:
Adam,
Those brilliant moves by elected officials probly kept your daddy or grand daddy in a job.

You comments or opinions don't deserve a reply, I struggle for a way to put it into word for you to understand, but that's just it, you don't get it!

You lack the knowloge or expirence to formalate your own opinion without quoting one from a book.

I agree and we should have given equal tax breaks to every other business in Michigan as well. think how many businesses would have moved and how many would still be around if they all would have had the GM subsidies. I'm not against the GM tax breaks I just don't think they should have only been applied to GM and a few other select favorites.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:03 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Can't we all just get along???

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Only on Manning Ct. Oh wait. lol
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:04 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

huh????

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Only on Manning Ct. Oh wait. lol

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:09 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Remember how you voted to get along and tear down Manning Ct even though you opposed it?
Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:52 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Adam, you do need to check your facts, I have NEVER voted to tear down the houses on Manning Court.

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
Remember how you voted to get along and tear down Manning Ct even though you opposed it?

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:18 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: