FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Race matters

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
flintteacher

I saw this commentary on Foxs News here in Colorado last night. What was discovered really didn't surprise me !

Race Matters

Stanford University Professor Shanto Iyengar conducted an experiment for the Washington Post. It focused on race when handing out government money. 2300 participants took part.

Each participant read an identical story of a fictional Katrina victim. The difference was a photo was changed so that the victim was either male or female, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, and light or dark-skinned for each race.

Participants were allowed to decide how much and in how many categories of government aid the victim could receive. Amounts ranged from $200 to $1200 per month for a minimum of three up to 18 months.

Overall, victims received a combined total of about $1500 a month for 12 months. Most of the study participants were identified as Democrat and liberal. Only 12 percent were Republican. Democrats offered just over $1500 a month for 13 months compared to Republicans who offered $1200 per month for nine months.

Republicans were consistent in giving the same amount of money for the same length of time regardless of race of the fictional victim. Not true for Democrats. Democrats gave whites a total of $1500 more than they had authorized for the black, Hispanic and Asian victims to receive.

The study found Republicans to be more frugal with government aid and color blind in treating all victims the same regardless of race. On the other hand, Democrats were more generous in doling out government money, but for them, race mattered.

Here is the link: http://www.newscentral.tv/uploads/franchise/point/point-20060709.shtml
Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:08 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Too bad we live in a society that still judges by color. I feel the whites received more because on the whole people view blacks as a race that just cannot get it together. Every other race in this country seems to have grown and flurish financally, except for the blacks. Wheather it's Asian, Italion, German, French, middle easterners and even east indians. It seems blacks just cannot survive without some form of governmental supplement and always have a hand out looking for something. Add to that the attitude that they are "owed" something and they have learned to take advantage of the system. Perhaps it is reported more in the media when a black person is caught doing something wrong or is it that blacks do more wrong.
This is my perspective and strictly my view point only so do not crucify my message. Read it and respect it as I do yours.
Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:30 am 
flintteacher

Apparently you didn't get the jist of the article. Democrats gave mo' money to those who were white. Not the people of color who they claim to represent !

And all people want something for nothing. It doesn't come down to color ! That's why even the richest (or shall I say more frugal) of people shop at discount stores, drive around looking for the cheapest gas (which in my opinion is silly), buy in bulk. These are just a few examples !

You must be a Democrat if you feel society as a whole looks upon the black race as "not being able to get it together".

Your check is in the mail, Dick ! Cool
Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:16 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Hate to dissappoint you but this is pure Republican here. I got what the article was all about but added my own version of what happened. We continue to look down upon blacks because of the image they present of themselves. It's ok for them to call each other names but no one else can. They can degrade themselves in videos with name calling but, let a white person use that term and you've got the million man march happening.
Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:21 pm 
flintteacher

And that's what you base being a Republican on? That's EXACTLY the mindset Democrats use when talking to a person of color. Sticks and stones !

The syntax of your post seems like you have issues with mainstream media and name calling.
Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:41 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

What's fair is fair. It was the republicans that displayed less discrimation, remember? I never liked name calling and do not approve if it. If a person can only select a hand full of words to express themselves then they need to look closer at a dictionary and learn to expanf their vocabulary. Name calling never solves anything same with throwing stones.

But, I cerntaily appreciate your opinions.
Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:57 pm 
flintteacher

Do you speak in limmricks when talking to your customers?
Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:01 pm 

At times. Most people do not listen to a word you say anyways.
Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:16 pm 
flintteacher

It's called be tactical ! Being a teacher you learn to appreciate and use these strategies.

Most people I talk to listen to what I have to say because I try and be tactical.

Just a few clues to help a fellow Flintstone !
Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:26 pm 
Adam

The Republican party was founded to fight slavery. It was white democrats that sicked dogs on black people like MLK. I've also heard black people have very few leadership positions in the democratic party. I think if we put economic development zones near abortion clinics we would do a good job of helping the black communities. Abortion clinics do a great job of locating in minority areas. I'd of course also prefer lno black and white children dying although a black child is twice as likely to die in an abortion clinic.
Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:50 am 
20million

republicans and democrats actually work together. They all want a "better america" for all races. only reason republicans gave to the minorites is for their vote in the next elections, because they aint doing so good with us- politically. the democrats gave in according to what they would give if the situation was in any other way. they know they got all the minorties vote come next elction. we all gotta realize this is america the stolen land of the natives (Indians) by the control and power freaks of england. race is always going to be a factor. for the simple fact all whites think they are superior to all races.
Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:33 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: