FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: That's one Officer for every.....

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Hey get this.. I just figured this out for myself also. With a Flint Police department of 270 officers. Which they have supposedly been hiring more. That would mean that there is one officer for every 438 citizens. Hmmm

With that many officers. Shouldn't they know most everybody in Flint. Here's what I'm saying. Over the years, I've been in several different units in the USMC. After a few months you learn the majority of the people in your unit. Not just the 30 or so in your work space or department or Platoon. But, you also learn the key players in the leadership of your unit. The Chain of Command is the first thing you learn. So there is another 30 or so people you get to know.

Then there are the people in Admin. You get to learn their names also. that's another 10 or so. Plus supply people, logistics people plus motor T people. You learn who the Fork Truck drivers are and who the training people are and the people in your barracks. There’s almost another 200 people right there in the barracks alone. Plus those that live off base you learn the Wife’s and Kids names and faces. You get to know people for other departments that receive awards and recognition. All in all well over 350 people By name and face within a year. Now in Units where I spent two and three years I learned even more people. And I personally have a hard time remembering names. Faces I remember but names take me a long time to hold on to.

So let me ask. With this many officers in Flint. How come so many people in the Community have never met the patrol officer in their neighborhood?
How come I don't have a clue as to what each shift officer's names are? How come s many times when we've had to call police. There isn't any real introduction. There isn't much I'm officer "so and So" I'm here to help. I'll stop in from time to time... to check up on what has happened since.

Just a thought. But if officers where following up on a regular basis and keeping contact with the community. wouldn't just by their continued presence in a neighborhood, help to deter crime? (Do I need to dig up some studies or is this something others might see clearly?)

Now, considering Flint had 124,428 calls to 911. Over the whole year. If officers actually responded to every single on. And each call was actually a different person. Everybody in Flint would have met an officer by now. Just in 2005 alone. I'm not trying to derogatory. I’m just trying to find ways for people to see the BIG PICTURE. When City officials cry we need more officers. I continue to have to ask why? With as many as we have. We should be seeing them everyday. They should out on the street so much we can help but trip over two a three. And to drive the point the home here. With the number of 911 calls for police. Everyone should have at least met one, who later came back and followed up on the call later, maybe even a few days later, two or three times. Oh and while the officer is at that one house. Stop and talk to the neighbors at the other houses directly close by. Introduce yourself, and let them know what is going on in their neighborhood. There has been “X” problem please keep an eye out for “Y” and call me at “???-????” if you see anything. Oh and here’s the number for the other two shift officers, if I’m not on you can call them. What a novel idea and approach to police work. I wonder how people’s attitudes in Flint would change if this ever really happened.
Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

To play devils advocate. It seems Flint police typically ride 2 per police car. You also have investigators that are investigating crimes so when someone calls they should meet 3 or 4 officers minimum. Also on some more serious or accident calls you may have 4 or even 6 officers on scene. In addition often times officers must show up to court and they also must do police reports which can take a while. With the week when Flint police were fired on 3 different occasions I do feel Flint police should be riding 2 per car. This brings us down to one officer for every 876 citizens.

To compare apples to apples. NYC has about 40,000 officers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Police_Department for a population of about 8.1 million http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City

Apples to apples if we want to compete with arguably the best police force in the world we should have 584 officers and not 270 because NYC has about 1 officer per 250 people!!!

Check this out! NYC dropped crime 70% over 13 years.
http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/nypd/pdf/chfdept/cscity.pdf

I also like the concept of "auxilliary police" that NYC does. http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/nypd/html/auxiliary.html

In summary to have an equal number of officers per person as NYC arguably the best force in the world we need more officers!!! I also think we should look to improve our officers performance and make sure our officers are well armed and have access to the best tools available.

Sorry to rip apart your argument Ted but I do feel you need to read the book I gave you. Giuliani did add more officers to cut crime among many other things.

Adam Ford
candidate for State Senate district 27
http://mysearchisover.com
http://www.myspace.com/31764583
Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:01 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Interesting. But, how many people live in New York and How many work in New York. New York has ONE Building. Yes One Building with it's own ZIP CODE!

Good catch.

So why then are the so many more cities with so many fewer numbers of officers with so much lower crime rates.

Sure would have been great if you'd been at the community meeting today.

You'd already know that everything I've been writing is about is factual. I figured it out, by looking at the numbers. You missed an excellent meeting. Nothing, I've said about the Flint Police dept is wrong! NOTHING! I've been right on the money.

How about a few examples. The officers in Flint working with the state Police. Must ride with the State Police. WHY? They cannot communicate any other way.
Police Officers are assigned to Mayor Williamson's special projects and not allowed to do anything else.
Police have the ability to use modern technology to help fight crime. But the Mayor doesn't allow them to use it. They City Council won't allow them to use it. They keep throwing money at the Police Dep’t to hire more officers. But refuse to use the officers they have in any form of hap hazard manner. Let alone use them efficiently. That's not even in the Don's Vocabulary.

Do and Be where I say. To hell with what is right. TO hell with responding to calls. To hell with Fighting Crime. Just make sure your at the post I put you and stay there! It's a FACT, And I'll bet my paycheck that the Council knows this and refuses to say a thing. I'll bet the Journal Knows it and refuses to say a thing. I'll even bet Don's Assistant police Chief knows it and won't speak up. And who get's screwed? We do.

Instead of throwing more money into hiring officers, we need to be getting our already paid for equipment online! We already have the technology! It’s THERE!! It’s in most of the cars. But, if we used it. The real numbers for crime would be known to everyone. Not just those of us interesting in digging up the facts!
Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

2005 TOTALS FOR COPS/CATT OFFICERS & SERGEANTS:

RADIO CALLS TOTAL: 22,364 COPS: 11,729 CATT: 10,635

FELONY ARRESTS TOTAL: 2,382 COPS: 709 CATT: 1,673

MISDEMEANOR ARRESTS: 4,679 COPS: 1,841 CATT: 2,838

ABANDONED VEHICLES TAGGED: 4,549 (COPS)

ABANDONED VEHICLES TOWED: 1,043 (COPS)

SERVICE REQUESTS/DESK ASSIGNMENTS: 4,859 COPS:2810 CATT: 2049

INVESTIGATIONS INITIATED: 3,252

TRAFFIC STOPS (CATT): 1,486

TRAFFIC CITATIONS: 1,467

APPEARANCE TICKETS: 1,296

PARKING TICKETS: 180

ILLEGAL NARCOTICS SEIZED: $118,716.00 (CATT)

MONEY SEIZED: $138,069.00 (CATT)

PROPERTY SEZIED: $12,472 (CATT)

WEAPONS SEZIED: 116 (CATT)

VEHICLES FORFEITED: 6

Respectfully Submitted
Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:59 pm 
Adam

Don't major cites generally attract higher crime rates? Higher income individuals have less incentive to do things like get involved with criminal activities. In NYC they used more officers to patrol crime ridden areas to deter crime. Low income doesn't mean more crime, but when you combine that with no high school diplomas, lack of parenting (parents in jail/working) high drug use etc. I'm sure lapeer and Davison may have less officers per person but I bet most everyone there has high school diplomas and is less likely to use drugs and be in jail. NYC is 100 times our size so if the Genesee towers was opened and 100 times bigger I imagine that would be bigger than WTC was and also have it's own zip code. if Flint operated like it should we would also be a jobs center and increase our population during the day. We do that already just not as much as we used to our should be doing still We still have a lot of non profit and governmental jobs in Flint and some UAW jobs left.

I'm sure with better crime fighting tactics we might be able to achieve say a 25% reduction but I bet to achieve a 50-75% reduction we might needs some more officers. There are some initiatives you simply can't do without more officers. I'm not convinced we can reduce crime particularly violent crime without more officers. Our officers are already performing better if you look at violent crime per officer.

NYC is probably more concentrated as well so that should be easier to patrol.
Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:56 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Anonymous schreef:
2005 TOTALS FOR COPS/CATT OFFICERS & SERGEANTS:

RADIO CALLS TOTAL: 22,364 COPS: 11,729 CATT: 10,635

FELONY ARRESTS TOTAL: 2,382 COPS: 709 CATT: 1,673

MISDEMEANOR ARRESTS: 4,679 COPS: 1,841 CATT: 2,838

ABANDONED VEHICLES TAGGED: 4,549 (COPS)

ABANDONED VEHICLES TOWED: 1,043 (COPS)

SERVICE REQUESTS/DESK ASSIGNMENTS: 4,859 COPS:2810 CATT: 2049

INVESTIGATIONS INITIATED: 3,252

TRAFFIC STOPS (CATT): 1,486

TRAFFIC CITATIONS: 1,467

APPEARANCE TICKETS: 1,296

PARKING TICKETS: 180

ILLEGAL NARCOTICS SEIZED: $118,716.00 (CATT)

MONEY SEIZED: $138,069.00 (CATT)

PROPERTY SEZIED: $12,472 (CATT)

WEAPONS SEZIED: 116 (CATT)

VEHICLES FORFEITED: 6

Respectfully Submitted

Thank You, Those look like the true numbers. what report is that so that I might put in a FOIA request and get a copy? I love it when my numbers make sense. I've been using totals. This may allow me to break it down into departments and officers in those departments. Thanks
Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:38 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: