FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Affirmative Action

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

Rapunzel slammed me pretty good on Flint citizen so to clarify my views on affirmative action. To summarize, if I loose I do not feel affirmative action will be enough to help black people who are rotting in jail for non violent offenses instead of going to college or black people that do not have a high school education or black people in Flint that are not allowed to start home based businesses or black people in Flint that are not hired thanks to Flint's hiring initiatives in white neighborhoods outside of the city. Last but not least affirmative action does not help the dead black children. Black children are twice as likely to die from abortion. Abortion clinics typically locate in black neighborhoods so they help black mothers kill their child and they are twice as likely to do this. I feel this has been a very effective practicve so for my affirmative action strategy I would seek to improve inner city schools, businesses, business creation, crime reduction etc. I would also even go to Flint schools to try and keep kids in school and hopefully lead some field trips to Lansing.

I do not feel affirmative action is the save all. I think better strategies to improve minority schools, families, education, jobs, businesses etc as well as help women get ahead is the solution that we need. If locating abortion clinics is a good strategy for killing black children why not locate economic development zones in black neighborhoods and improve inner city schools?

Another way to support affirmative action is to vote for black candidates. Keith Butler is black. I intend to vote for him even though he is the underdog. He pulled off a huge win in Detroit and was the first Republican to get on the Detroit city council in 50 years.

We have an awesome black Republican elected official in the Genesee county republican party. I might even vote for him to lead our party. The county chair is also a woman. Does that count as affirmative action?

Dick Devos and our senatorial candidates all support affirmative action through laws but I am more aggresive and feel we focus on practical affirmative action and have more economic development zones in poor minority areas and more business loans given out to businesses locating in places like Flint, Saginaw, Detroit etc.

Adam Ford
Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:26 pm 
rapunzel

Adam, please read this all the way though to the ballot language!

http://www.umich.edu/~cew/PDFs/MCRIecon6-25.pdf

Susan Kaufmann also wrote the Gender Impact report. She will be comng to U of M Flint on Sept. 21.

Adam, I agree affirmative action is not the save all. I believe it needs to be modified but this Ballot language is all encompassing and absolute! This will effect programs for children. Girls in Science Programs at Longway will not be run next year and the ballot hasn't even been voted on yet!!!

Legislative officials need to go back to the drawing board and fix some of the loopholes in affirmative action programs. Do not throw the babies out with the bathwater! Do NOT vote to change the MICHIGAN Constitution on the words of a carpetbagger from California!

Furthermore "Choice" is a seperate issue that we also do not agree on.

So read the papers by S. Kaufmann and watch your own racist comments on Channel 17. Listen also to how this will affect the military and those with disabilities. This is more than Black and White.

So if you want to clarify your views...
speak more clearly...Will you vote NO on November 7, 2006 to keep Affirmative Action?
Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:34 am 
Adam

Obviously this failed in California. Without alternative initiatives in place it would fail in michigan. I intend to put alternate inititives in place such as improving Flint schools and improving Flint's business climate and puting economic development zones in African American places like Flint.

Basically I want to make it so we no longer need action. I'm also a big fan of results. What has affirmative action done for Flint schools??? Our performance is atrocious! I bet we send more black kids to jail than we do to college. Affirmative action doesn't put dropouts in college!!!

I'm not really convinced though that rich black kids in Grand Blanc have trouble going to college. I'd be willing to bet that a rich black kid is more likely to go to college than a poor white kid in Flint. If we do more to help poor people we would be helping poor black kids and poor white kids that really need affirmative action.

For the record though I feel the main issue right now is jobs. If there's no jobs for white people guess what? There's probably no jobs for black people! We have equal opportunity in Michigan right now. Black and white people are out of work.

I also feel that black kids need to be able to compete with white kids. They shouldn't be going to college because of some law. They should be going to college because they do just as well as white kids. Black students in Flint are SEVERELY underperforming. The answer to this should be improving schools!!!
Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:24 pm 
rapunzel

Read the article!! Read the ballot language!

Yep, we should be improving schools. READ this affects public education programs! More male teachers would be role models for one parent households...mostly moms with no fatherfigure households.

It is not about white kids in competition with black kids. It is about bi-lingual education ect. OPPORTUNITIES!

It is more than college admissions, young man!

It is about gender.

We will still have preferences for alumni and sports.

You are suggesting Socio-economic preferences as an alternative?

"they shouldn't be going to college because of some law" Right on!
They are going to college because they worked hard to get there! passed all the tests even though their daddy was not alumni or they did not make the team. They are included only if they FIRST make the grade.

You know not of which you speak! You still did not answer clearly.

You can not put alternative intiatives in place once they are outlawed by the MI constitution!

Fix it don't ban it.
Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:30 am 
flintteacher

I didn't read the ballot language, nor do I care to !

Affirmative action hinders doesn't HELP young people of color !

And more male teachers being role models for single parent households? That's the problem right there rappy ! SINGLE parent households. If your babies daddy isn't MAN enough to substain a household or be there for your baby. Then you should be smart enough as a woman to know not to procreate with this individual.

As far as role models. You can only be a role model if the individual allows you to ! But the majority of these young people don't want to follow rules, don't want to listen to what you have to say, don't want to be productive citizens. And those who do... only go on to success in what they put their mind to.

Socio-economics doesn't play a role either. The money is out there for those you speak of. Much more money than my children get because my wife and I both work. I know this because my wife and I are going through this process NOW with our recently graduated son ! We don't complain about paying for college though because we know our son needs a college education to be successful in life.

I had a bi-racial young man who was admitted to MSU even though he scored a 17 on his ACT and graduated with a 2.8 He is also going to MSU FREE of charge because his mom is on welfare ! I wasn't bitter in the least because hopefully with this opportunity he can break the cycle of his family. I have another black young lady who is going to Wayne State free for the same reasons.

I could write a book on this issue, trust me !

And it wasn't Affirmative Action who accomplished these feats. It was the hard work of teachers and John Crouch !
Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:35 am 
Adam

I think getting minorities to graduate and into college would be our best "affirmative action" strategy. To make things simple we could also do economic development around abortion clinics (minority areas). If we shut down the abortion clincics there would also be more minorities because less of them would be dead.
Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:01 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: