FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Thankfully, Davison mayor Fortner is no Don Williamson...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

...but he's still not much of a mayor.

He might be a co-plaintiff in a lawsuit against his own city! He tried to pull a fast one, and tried to get a secret legal opinion from the city which would have been in that lawsuit.

He has made no attempt to learn the laws or rules of the city, which is why he has broken so many of them!

The city of Davison is probably the only city in Genesee County, and perhaps the state, that is financially sound, but you wouldn't know if by listening to our mayor. He tried to sell the idea that the city was in financial trouble, so he could justify drastically slashing the salary of a an official responsible for programs he doesn't like.

Davison deserves better, read about it here

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:27 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

So he can go in my mental bucket with the likes of The Don and Burton's mayor Smiley, who likes to do his "bidness" by handing off money in brown paper bags on street corners.

Does any city affiliated with Flint have a decent leader? My friend at work likes the mayor of Swartz Creek, but that's about it.

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:35 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:
So he can go in my mental bucket with the likes of The Don and Burton's mayor Smiley, who likes to do his "bidness" by handing off money in brown paper bags on street corners.

Does any city affiliated with Flint have a decent leader? My friend at work likes the mayor of Swartz Creek, but that's about it.

Abrams seems like a good guy. I know it's not a city...but Clayton Township's supervisor is down there in the pits with The Don. He sued the treasurer for disclosing to The Urinal that the Clerk's family was getting township cell phone discounts. And guess who paid for the attorney?
He also decided that the monthly bill for the Clerk's son-in-law to clean the township hall wasn't subject to competitive bid. (The annual amount is, so I guess you just break it into smaller checks so it's ok.)
Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:11 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:
.Davison deserves better

By better do you mean Davison needs higher taxes like Flint does so they can build new governmental buildings? If not following Roberts rules of order and a potential lawsuit that Fred may file are his biggest issues I think he should get re-elected.

Does the potential lawsuit have to do with an oppresive fee that Fred and other businesses are fighting? If Fred is fighting the awning tax then I hope he wins. Genesee county needs one or two conservative outposts.

I know people like you think government servants are underpaid and understaffed but I think we need more politicians like Fred who feel taxpayers are over taxed and there purpose is not just to fund government.

I hope Davison can hold it's ground against caniving liberals like you that just want to raise taxes and build new government buildings and maybe even get a job.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:39 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

quote:
If Fred is fighting the awning tax then I hope he wins.

What awning tax? There is no such thing. The DDA secured a grant that would greatly subsidize any improvements made, including the ones already made on one block downtown. The improvements look great.
Mac and some think that the canopies can be renovated, but they have been told time and time again, that due to the fact that they are so badly beyond current construction codes, it would be cheaper to tear them down.

If he or anybody else is telling you the city is placing an undue burden on businesses by not allowing them to renovate the canopies, they are lying!

quote:
By better do you mean Davison needs higher taxes like Flint does so they can build new governmental buildings?

The badly needed municipal center project is probably dead, unfortunately. The current building was built to last about 40 years back in 1968, and you can tell. The roof is falling apart, the police department have to change clothes in a closet, and they don't even have a jail. The repairs alone will cost more than a new building, and a new building can be paid for with a very low interest loan secured by former City Manager Pete Auger, and payments spread over 40 years. Repairs to the existing building need to be paid up front, and will come straight out of the general fund.

City Hall is so badly deteriorated, that building a new center will be cheaper!

quote:
I hope Davison can hold it's ground against caniving liberals like you that just want to raise taxes and build new government buildings and maybe even get a job.

Actually, I believe that everybody on the City Council has a job. The mayor is the only one who doesn't. I'm not on the council, and I work about 80 hours per week.

Any more questions?

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:57 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Who pays for the awnings not covered by the subsidies?

So the 100 year old buidlings downtown are fine but a 40 year old building needs to be demolished and rebuilt? I've heard the current building was not maintained. What makes you think a new building will be maintained? Why do the police have to change clothes at the department? So you think every city and township should have it's own jail? I know it might cause some hardships on the police to have to drive 10 or 15 minutes to the county jail but I think they can manage without the few extra traffic tickets they will lose from driving to the county jail.

Don't you have some Michael Moore signs to work on? http://snappersgolfleague.com/mmoore.html I think you need better hobbies other than working to raise taxes on some of my family members and getting signs for Michael Moore.

Flint also has high taxes high fees and high regulations. I don't think Davison needs to be dragged into the direction of Flint.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:11 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I don't see why you're so unnecessarily hostile toward him, Adam. What gives?

The mayor has broken so many rules...

I want to know more. What has he done?

How providential that after my snide remark about Smiley yesterday, there was a story in the paper about him cutting deals with developers, whereby BURTON pays for their stinky roads!

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:41 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Fred is one of the very few (if not only) true conservatives elected in Genesee county. Unfortunately he is not as politically astute as I would prefer but at least he is a true conservative.

I don't trust Kevin because his attacks are purely one sided. We need more people like Fred Fortner in Davison, Flint and Genesee County who actually start businesses and defend businesses and make it easier for businesses to suceed. New governernent buildings are not what Davison, Flint and Genesee county really need. We need businesses (jobs).
Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:15 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Sorry dude, we don't need corruption in our government. And we sure as shit don't need our government run like a business, unless of course it's an employee owned business. Yeah right.

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:23 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Des, often those without an argument resort to rude behavior just to have something to say.

The only reason Mayor Fortner is in office is because the former publisher of The Davison Index , Jim Sherman told its readers five days before the election that votes for the other three candidates couldn't legally be counted! If that wasn't illegal, it should be. The Index also gave Mr. Fortner a large discount on campaign ads without offering the same discount to the other candidates. Jim Sherman just happens to be the ringleader of the proposed lawsuit against the city.

Mr. Ford asked:

quote:
Who pays for the awnings not covered by the subsidies?

The same business owners who will end up paying a lot more for renovations when they drag their feet on the project so long, that the grants offered to help pay for them expire, which will happen any day now.

Have you been downtown lately? Main Street is so narrow, that if there are cars parked on both sides, and two large pick-ups or Hummers are approaching each other, one has to stop so their mirrors don't collide. Even if the sewer infrastructure work is put off indefinately, Main street will be widened, and when that happens, the canopies will come down, since they can't be simply renovated without being completely replaced, as they are not up to current code.

He also said:

quote:
So the 100 year old buidlings downtown are fine but a 40 year old building needs to be demolished and rebuilt? I've heard the current building was not maintained.

Funny you should mention the downtowm buildings, which are supposedly "well maintained". During a meeting discussing the downtown improvements, we heard a building owner state that the canopies can't come down, because they are holding up the front of the building!!! Some other business owners agreed, and one said that without the canopy, the vibrations of passing trains was causing bricks on the building to come loose! Apparently the canopies are serving the added function of saving pedestrians from pieces falling off ot those "well maintained buildings".

quote:
Flint also has high taxes high fees and high regulations. I don't think Davison needs to be dragged into the direction of Flint.

That's a false choice, and an attempt at distracting from the real issue. If you go to my blog, you will see how the City oF Davison passed with flying colors a recent audit examining the city's budget and finances. Mayor Fortner admitted that not only did he not read them, he had no intention of doing so. He would rather make his constituents believe that the city is in dire straits, so he can justify slashing the salary of an employee partly responsible for the canopy removal. That act, and his willingness to lie in order to exact revenge on a hard-working political appointee, is the only example I see of something in Davison closely resembling the problems of Flint's government.

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:35 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

I'll be out of town and away from my computer for the next few days for work, so I will be unable to quickly address any more comments for a while.

I only say this because I wouldn't want Mr. Ford to confuse my silence after what is sure to be his next response for agreement.

For everybody else, particularly those living in Davison, I would recommend visiting my site for info on how Mayor Fortner:

1) Stole the election when the co-plaintiff in a lawsuit against the city he was elected to serve told people that the votes for his three opponents couldn't legally be counted.

2) Repeatedly broke the rules on council practices when they didn't suit him, or when an ordinance had the potential of effecting his own business interests.

3) Manufactured an imaginary budget crisis for political revenge. (How do you suppose that will help bring investment into the city, eh?)

...and much more. I'm sure Mayor Fortner will provide a lot more to cover in the next couple years to come, unfortunately.

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:45 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:
Sorry dude, we don't need corruption in our government. And we sure as shit don't need our government run like a business, unless of course it's an employee owned business. Yeah right.

I agree. I don't think Fred is corrupt but it would be good for him to become an expert on Roberts rules but when he's so tied up fighting for taxpayers that can be a challenge. It seems to me governments are often run like businesses in that their ultimate goal seems to be maximum revenue generation. Unlike the majority of Davison's elected officials it seems to me like Fred actually has the interests of the taxpaying citizens in mind. Yes the other elected officials might be better familiar with Roberts rules but they still probably are not experts on them.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:13 pm 
WillDavison
F L I N T O I D

Adam, its funny how you keep coming back to the Robert's Rule thing, as if it is the only claim Kevin made. Don't you have a problem with his role in making people think that the votes for those running against him wouldn't count? Isn't that election fraud?

Making up stuff to make the local budget to look worse than it really is for political reasons, how exactly will that encourage the creation of jobs?

Oh, and why did you drop your last name from your screen name, Mr. Adam Ford, after Kevin started quoting you?
Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:45 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:

1) Stole the election when the co-plaintiff in a lawsuit against the city he was elected to serve told people that the votes for his three opponents couldn't legally be counted.

2) Repeatedly broke the rules on council practices when they didn't suit him, or when an ordinance had the potential of effecting his own business interests.

3) Manufactured an imaginary budget crisis for political revenge. (How do you suppose that will help bring investment into the city, eh?)

...and much more. I'm sure Mayor Fortner will provide a lot more to cover in the next couple years to come, unfortunately.

1. Has the suit been decided in court? What allegation was incorrect? http://www.thedavisonindex.com/moxie/news/mayor-candidates-owe-taxe.shtml. I think you're leaving out that some residents were also opposed to tax increases which Fred pledged to fight against and is doing, that Fred was a well known and well liked business person the wide margin of victory etc.

2. He did make a motion from the floor. You could argue that he should have abstained but ignoring his business interests in the public interest and as a taxpayer his vote would have been justified.

3. Fred is a true conservative. I don't see a problem when erring on the side of caution. If he errs to much on the side of caution Davison might have to return money to the tax payers or cut taxes. This might be offensive to you but some Davison conservatives may welcome the move. I'm sure Fred might have a motive to reduce taxes so maybe you should start criticizing him for possibly trying to cut taxes.

Hopefully he'll provide some tax cuts and ordinance repeals for you to cover.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:53 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Okay Will you seem to have some perspective on this. Why, indeed, would Adam drop his last name? It's been up for months.

What is his relationship with the mayor of Davison? Or is it just the principle of it that interests him?

The question for you is why have you shown up here and started posting all of a sudden? Either you read this board and created an alter ego, or someone told you about this thread? Very strange.

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:59 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: