FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint city council gave themselves $235,000 in back pay!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thursday, July 08, 2004 The Flint city council voted 7 to 0 to pay themselves more than $235,000 in back pay and benefits to reverse cuts imposed by former emergency financial manager Ed Kurtz.

Ed Taylor (2nd ward) $17,436 $9,700 $27,136

Scott Kincaid (9th ward) $17,328 $9,700 $27,028

Johnnie Coleman (3rd ward) $17,080 $9,700 $26,780

Peggy R. Cook** (4th ward) $16,411 $9,700 $26,111

Carolyn Sims (5th ward) $16,364 $9,700 $26,064

Mark A. Horrigan (6th ward) $16,136 $9,700 $25,836

Lawrence B. Murphy (9th ward) $16,036 $9,700 $25,736

Matt Schlinker (7th ward) $16,036 $9,700 $25,736

Darryl E. Buchanan (1st ward) $15,185 $9,700 $24,885

Total $148,012 $87,300 $235,312

* = The retirement estimate is based on the council getting 25 percent of what they would have been paid had there not been any cuts, a percent confirmed by the city. An estimate was needed because the actual amounts have yet to be calculated by the city and they likely will vary slightly per member.

** = Cook is now the city administrator.

Sources: city of Flint and a Journal estimate

Full Story:
http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-22/108930007417300.xml
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
what happened

Did the council return this money?
Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:03 pm 
Here is what happened

>>Did the council return this money?

Check these post out:
Bob's nov 14th show.
http://www.flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=4862#4862

and
The Bob Leonard Show Nov 14 2006
http://www.flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=4861#4861
Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:04 pm 
Visitor

My understanding is there are still four "unethical" members who did not pay: Sims, Horrigan, Taylor, Coleman.

I don't believe they have any intention of of paying so my assumption is the city will have to have the courts and attorney general enforce the orders for these members to pay back the money plus interest.

Kincaid and Buchanan have already arranged to pay this money back. Cook has already paid the money back. Murphy did not accept. Schlinker voted to get the money, but has since returned what he received.
Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:25 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Ingham County Circuit Judge Joyce Draganchuk ruled Wednesday, February 28, 2007, Flint can place liens on property of Flint council members Johnnie Coleman, Mark Horrigan, Ed Taylor and Carolyn Sims for what they owe the city for back pay.

Source: Flint Journal online, News Now.
Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:38 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

That assumes any of them have equity in any property...versus in someone elses' name, that they won't just walk away from....

It will only become an issue when they sell any property in question.

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:41 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

The whole thing was a sham! The mayor made the Proposal! The mayor Paid the Council. COUNCIL CANNOT WRITE THEMSELVES CHECKS!! ONLY THE MAYOR SIGNS THE CHECKS! AS HE LIKES TO SPOUT ABOUT!! I WRITE THE CHECKS! I'M WATCHING OUT FOR YOUR MONEY!

As he pays Flint journal carrier 140,000 dollars to deliver papers to city hall and it' OUR money he is paying him with. Let's see, People make a big deal about paying people who actually worked to fix the budget problem. The community blames them for bringing it to light, doesn't see a problem with blowing hundreds of thousands of OUR tax dollars to in order to pay off campaign workers or city employees for not working, or police officers for not driving their cars home. Then HE PAYS the council their back pay and that somehow equates to "Their stealing your money" This logic eludes me.
Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
The whole thing was a sham! The mayor made the Proposal! The mayor Paid the Council.
So aside from your going off on a tangent, Ted, do you believe those (former) council members should or should not have to return the back pay? You are running for mayor and I'd like to know your position on this subject because it will show how you are prepared to follow court orders if and when they should arise.
Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:24 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

They should follow the court order.

My point being! They earned their pay. They blew the whistle on the former mayor's short falls concerning the budget!

They were repaid (for turning him in to the state and demanding the state to come in) Ed Kurtz who took their budget recommendations, making on minor changes. Kurtz then filled governmental payoff positions, that haven’t produced anything in years and still haven’t, shown any tangible benefits, from before the budget crisis, (I believe those where positions in economic development and I forget the other BS appointments) (Which BTW Have you noticed any economic development since those positions were reinstated by Kurtz,?) the council cut those positions, which those positions still haven't provided anything worth their pay, and also tax abatement for the Flint Journal)

Then he retaliated against them by cutting their pay. Then the State fast tracked his initial ILLEGAL cutting of their pay, by changing the law giving him sweeping powers to overrule other state laws, so that it became legal to illegally cut their pay, which violates other laws.

Now, if you are going to put any blame on them taking the Money that the Mayor paid them. That HE brought to council to approve! Then he should have been just as guilty! If it was wrong, then he should never have brought it to council for approval, and if he had second thoughts, he should have refused to sign it!

They didn't steal anything! And everyone seems to be saying they took the money illegally, So if they took it and it was illegal? Shouldn't the person that gave it to them be just as accountable?

There do you feel better now?

And it doesn't have a thing to do with how I would follow a court order!

First off, something like this would never have happened in the first place, under my leadership! Just as I know that in my first two years I can and will cut crime so much that we will drop right off the top ten list of highest crime and most dangerous cities in the US!
Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
I know that in my first two years I can and will cut crime so much that we will drop right off the top ten list of highest crime and most dangerous cities in the US!
How will you cut crime differently than current administration and police force efforts?
Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:11 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

It's real simple,
Appoint a chief (hold him accountable, I'm appointing a chief that already knows how to lower crime in Flint with much less resources than we have now!)

Open the city Jail, (possibly even build a new one). If Flint rented out it’s access jail space which it has had in the past. Or, even built one that was certified by the state we could house criminals from other areas. Which would help offset the cost of operating a facility the size that Flint needs!

Focus on drug houses and thieves and murderers. Not prostitution, or council meetings, or housing commission meetings, or whether someone likes me or not and is out collecting signatures to have me recalled! ( I think people will like me so I doubt that will happen) LOL 

Implement a pawnshop reporting system that makes it easy for police to track and find your stolen stuff that has been pawned! (city wide and also get the county to buy into the program) Then add on to that accountability to that department to actually arrest the thieves. It’s simple, if you find the finger prints of the criminal at the crime scene, say, on the inside of your car, or the door handle of your bedroom. Then he pawns your stuff and his finger print is recorded when he pawns it. It isn’t rocket science to figure out he is the one that stole it!

Home break-ins and Car theft will be investigated! No more of this "Stop by the department and pick up a report number to turn into your insurance."

I’ve been looking at creating a new rank, just below sergeant. Say a corporal, that can begin an investigation on their own. So many crimes are blown off because a patrol officer hasn’t been given the authority to make an arrest based on the evidence of the witness right there in front of them. Action needs to be taken immediately. Not put off or reported to another department to respond when they get around to it.

There are a number of other things that the chief wants to do! But was never given the support. It will happen, because it MUST happen!
Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:40 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: