FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Williamson may face third recall attempt

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/04/williamson_may_face_third_reca.html

FLINT, Michigan -- An effort is under way to kick Mayor Don Williamson out of office, less than six months after he was re-elected to a second term.

At a glance
What happened: Resident Alex Harris, a political activist, took out petitions to recall Mayor Don Williamson.

What's next: Harris needs to collect thousands of signatures to force the recall on the ballot. He can't begin the campaign until May, because he has to wait for Williamson to have been in office for six months after the re-election.

Resident Alex Harris, who also was involved with the successful recall of former Mayor Woodrow Stanley, has taken out recall petitions against Williamson.

Harris said he has organized a group of about 30 to 40 people willing to collect the nearly 8,000 petitions it will take to force a recall election. "This is not some fly-by-night thing," Harris said.

In Williamson's first term in office, residents on two occasions attempted to recall the mayor but neither collected the thousands of signatures needed to force an election.
As for Williamson, he said he "doesn't care what (Harris) does."

"They can do whatever they want to as long as it's within the law, and I have no problem with it," Williamson said.

Harris criticized Williamson because he said the city's finances were presented as being in good shape during Williamson's 2007 election campaign, but then suddenly turned worse after the election.

"(Williamson) just continues to lead the city into a tailspin," Harris said.In response, Williamson also listed off what he said were the high points of the administration: "The streets, the bridges, cleaning up blight. There's numerous things we've accomplished."

Mike Keeler, one of the organizers of the Stanley recall in 2002, said he's not taking a position on whether a recall of Williamson is warranted, but he said Harris is an able organizer.

"It's rough. It's not easy," Keeler said of trying to collect thousands of signatures. "Alex is a good organizer. He's a grass-roots guy."

Councilman Ehren Gonzales said a recall campaign would be distracting.

"I think recalls are unproductive because they take away from the problems we're trying to address," Gonzales said.

Councilman Scott Kincaid said he believes a recall is necessary because Williamson misled city residents on a number of issues.

"I think he opened the jail for the sole purpose of his re-election," said Kincaid, referring to how the jail was opened in 2007 but is now slated to close.

In Williamson's first term in office, two residents attempted to recall the mayor but neither collected enough signatures to force an election.

For the issue to make it to the ballot, Harris first needs to have the wording approved by the county elections board. He can't even do that until May 13, because state law bans recall attempts in the first six months after an official is elected into office.
Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:31 am 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

I'll sign the first Recall Williamson petition I come across. BTW, I declined to sign the petition for John Gleason who wants Dale Kildee's house seat.

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:32 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alex Harris, now there is a winner!lol I bet the Mayor is shaking in his 2 hundred dollar shoes !

Is Alex Harris still the leader of C-Fag AKA 'The Gang the couldn't shoot straight"?

Link

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Alex needs a hobby.
Or, a life.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

'

Its very sad when we keep attempting to recall people, they should put their energy towards something more productive.

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Flinn's Journal schreef:
I'll sign the first Recall Williamson petition I come across. BTW, I declined to sign the petition for John Gleason who wants Dale Kildee's house seat.

Good Man!
Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
'
Its very sad when we keep attempting to recall people, they should put their energy towards something more productive.

It's a sad thing when the people have to waste time to recall someone becuase of lies, fruad in just four years running a city that was 8 million in the black to almost 10 million in the Red!

The majority of the loss in just the last fiscal year!

Sorry, but the Don cannot make up the funds this time by burning down City Hall.

Hmmm Let me rethink that. He's been getting away with it for years. Maybe he can.
Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

It's a sad thing that Ryan's sense of right and wrong has been bought and sold.
Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:23 am 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

http://www.cityofflint.com/RiskMgt/fraud_policies.htm

POLICIES &
PROCEDURES
CITY OF FLINT, MICHIGAN

Fraud Policy

PURPOSE:

The City of Flint is committed to protecting its revenue, property, information and other assets from any attempt, either by members of the public, contractors, sub-contractors, agents, intermediaries or its own employees, to gain by deceit, financial or other benefits. This policy prohibits fraud or misuse of City of Flint assets and sets forth specific guidelines and responsibilities regarding appropriate actions that must be followed for the investigation of fraud and other similar irregularities.

DEFINITIONS:

As used in this policy, the terms listed below shall have the following definitions:

Embezzlement is any loss resulting from the misappropriation of City of Flint Assets.

Misappropriate is to take or make use of any item without authority or right.

Loss is defined as the City of Flint losing possession or control of any type of asset through fraudulent activities.

Fraud is the intentional misrepresentation or omission of facts for personal gain.

Employee(s) refers to all City of Flint employees, independent contractors, consultants, and temporary workers.

Assets refer to the entire property of the City, association, corporation, or estate applicable or subject to the payment of debts. Assets include, but are not limited to, all City Vehicles and building properties, public water supply, computers and software, cash receivables, wages and benefits.

Equipment is defined as a fixed asset that is not consumable or expandable; it is movable, even though sometimes attached to other objects or buildings; and its removal does not create a readily observable physical impairment or deterioration. Examples include, but are not limited to: Office equipment including computers, desk cabinets, printers and scanners, any electronic Data Processing equipment, Training/education equipment including scientific, medical, and laboratory equipment and furnishings, audio-visual, cameras and recording devices. Equipment also includes, but is not limited to, all construction and maintenance equipment, air conditioners, athletic equipment, fire-fighting equipment, forklifts, lawn mowers, and tools.

STATEMENT OF POLICY:

The City of Flint has adopted a zero tolerance policy regarding fraud. No employees of the City, City of Flint residents, or City of Flint property owners who reside outside the City limits shall remove any City of Flint asset from the property, misuse any City asset for ones personal gain, or willfully misappropriate any City of Flint Asset. Any evidence supporting fraud, theft or embezzlement of City of Flint assets and equipment may be subject to the following actions including but not limited to: Suspension, termination, restitution, and criminal charges. Any utility fraud by the public will be subject to restitution and possible criminal charges.

PROHIBITED ACTS

Fraud and misuse of City of Flint assets are prohibited. Examples of fraud and misuse of City assets include but are not limited to:

1. Embezzlement

2. Misappropriation, misapplication, destruction, removal, or concealment of City of Flint property.

3. Alteration or falsification of documents.

4. Theft of any asset (money, tangible property, water, etc.)

5. Authorizing or receiving compensation for goods not received or services not performed.

6. Authorizing or receiving compensation for hours not worked.

7. Misrepresentation of fact

COMPLAINT PROCEDURE

1. Employees and residents of the City of Flint shall read and understand this policy. Additionally, suspected or known fraudulent acts by employees shall be reported to their respective supervisor or to the Risk Management office. If the employee has reason to believe that their supervisor may be involved, the employee shall notify the Department Head or the Risk Management office.

2. Supervisors shall a) communicate the provisions of this policy to all staff, b) take no action without consulting the Department Head, c) recommend appropriate temporary disciplinary action when there is evidence of wrong-doing, and d) if suspension or termination is recommended, consult with the Labor Relations representative.

3. Supervisors and/or Department Heads shall communicate any suspected or known fraudulent act to the Risk Management Office. Risk Management may initiate internal investigative actions of the suspected act. The internal investigation may include but is not limited to surveillance, either electronic or visual. Document research may include, but is not limited to, cash terminal journal rolls, ledgers, and accounting records.

4. All participants in a fraud investigation shall keep the details and results of the investigation confidential.

5. No employer or person acting on behalf of an employer shall dismiss or threaten to dismiss an employee; discipline or suspend or threaten to discipline or suspend an employee; impose any penalty upon an employee; or intimidate or coerce an employee because the employee has acted in accordance with the requirements of the policy. Any violation of this section may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.

PREVENTION

Each department will maintain an internal control environment to protect the department and the City from loss or other damages as a result of a fraudulent act.

FALSE ALLEGATIONS

False allegations of suspected fraud with the intent to disrupt or cause harm to another may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.

CORRECTIVE ACTIONS AND DISCIPLINE

Appropriate and timely action will be taken against those proven to have committed a fraudulent act. These remedial actions may include, but are not limited to:

1. Disciplinary action (up to and including immediate termination of employment).

2. Restitution for all losses, including investigation and legal expenses, to the fullest extent of the law.

3. Forwarding information to the appropriate authorities for criminal prosecution.

4. Institution of civil action to recover losses.

5. Where the City of Flint elects to take corrective or disciplinary action, it will proceed under the procedures in place under policy or under any collective bargaining agreement for the respective employment classification.

6. The City of Flint may take corrective or disciplinary action without awaiting the resolution of criminal or civil proceedings arising from the fraudulent conduct.

CONFIDENTIALITY

All investigations will be conducted in confidence insofar as reasonably possible. The name or names of those communicating information about a fraudulent act and the name or names of those suspected of a fraudulent act will only be revealed when required by law in conjunction with the investigation or legal action.
Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:52 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

What FRAUD?

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
'

It's a sad thing when the people have to waste time to recall someone becuase of lies, fruad in just four years running a city that was 8 million in the black to almost 10 million in the Red!

The majority of the loss in just the last fiscal year!

Sorry, but the Don cannot make up the funds this time by burning down City Hall.

Hmmm Let me rethink that. He's been getting away with it for years. Maybe he can.

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:17 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: