FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Cut police when?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

FLINT, Michigan -- Long-time customers were stopping by the Family Market on Richfield Road on Thursday morning, hoping for some news.

Most of them knew owner Victor Joubran had been shot during an armed robbery the night before, and were hoping someone could give them some good news about his condition.

"He's a nice guy. he always treated everyone the same," said Rosie Doyle, who drove to the store to check on Joubran.

Joubran was shot twice in the chest about 9 p.m., police said, after a brief struggle with two armed men inside the store at 2816 Richfield Road. The men got away with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Police are searching for the men, who were wearing dark clothing and who left in a gray sport utility vehicle.

Joubran was taken to Hurley Medical Center in critical condition. A relative who stopped by the store Thursday morning said his condition had stabilized, but declined to comment further.

On Thursday the store was closed, although the open sign remained on and Joubran's blue van was parked out front. The market was in a small shopping center near Western Road with a bar, restaruant and pawn shop.

Nearby business employees and customers said Joubran was looking to sell the store that had been in his family for decades.

Some said Joubran was looking for new work, while others said business had declined to a point where he was struggling to pay his bills.

"Things had gotten worse," said David McManus, manager of Auto Body Complete across the street. "He said he was looking for a part-time job because he couldn't pay the bills."

Nadine Warner, owner of El Charritos restaurant in the same complex as the market, said Joubran would help anyone, and others confirmed he'd let people run tabs if they couldn't afford to pay their bill.

Warner said the market and her restaurant have been robbed before, but things had gotten worse in the last year.

Police said Joubran had security cameras, but there was no videotape in them.

"I just don't understand why they had to shoot him," Warner said. "Maybe he was fed up with these people coming in."

Keith Smith grew up in a nearby neighborhood and has been shopping at the market for about 30 years. He now works at a pawn shop next door.

"Victor was always cool with us," he said, saying he plans to visit him at the hospital soon. "He was always joking around and calling me George. He called everybody George."

Smith said he remembers when he was a kid and tried to steal a candy bar from the market. Joubran laid down the law.

"He locked the door and said 'I see you George,'" Smith said. "He said 'Next time, I go to your mother, I know where you live.'"

Print This Page | Send To A Friend | Permalink (Learn More)
Share: Reddit | Digg | del.icio.us | Google | Yahoo | Facebook | What is this?
COMMENTS (1)Post

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:25 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Police are searching for the men, who were wearing dark clothing and who left in a gray sport utility vehicle.

Excellent description of the scumbags, should make apprehending them with citizens help a snap. Rolling Eyes
Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:56 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Another case of those evil SUV'ers. If we could just get rid of all of us...er, uh, them...the world would be a better place.
Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:27 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

The culprits parked across Richfield Rd. behind a garage on Douglas.

Two black men wearing hoody's ran back across Richfield rd. to the SUV and fled down Douglas Ave with the lights off.

It was impossible to see the plates.

Victor likely had very little cash on hand.

The sign on the store tonight says Victor's condition is now stable.

Thanks for asking.

Peace,
RAP

Last edited by rapunzel11 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:45 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

That's a better description than the Journal had. Hopefully, someone will hear something & have the guts to speak up.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

They were casing the store and waited for customers to leave.

Glad my daughter was not with me that evening.

Hope the culprits brag to someone about their deeds.

The police made a ballistics match to the gun used in a later robbery.

Victor was stable and improving but had a bad day today.

Thank goodness for Hurley trauma unit. They are the best at gunshot victims.

Peace,
RAP

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:16 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
Thank goodness for Hurley trauma unit. They are the best at gunshot victims.

Peace,
RAP

Unfortunately, they have a lot of experience.
Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:09 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Yes, they have lots of experience. Sometimes patching someone up to have them come back with another wound or worse.

I worked with some nurses from the trauma unit for a gun prevention program in the schools.

When past cases involving kids were mentioned you could see the emotions come across their faces... they remember. They may have put emotions on hold while saving the child but they never forget.

Not a job i could do.

Peace,
Rap

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:46 pm 
hockeyladyof3
F L I N T O I D

does anyone know if the police got them dirt bags that try to kill victor joubran i was told the police got them i havent hear anything on it hope they find them soon
victor is in need of prayers is not doing good he had to go back on the vent thats what his sister in law says Sad [/b]
Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:11 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

there were two more robberies in the area. NO word if they fit the same description. the gun that shot Vic was used and ballistics match in a flushing robbery.

After I heard Vic was back on the ventilator (wife said), few days later a cousin said that he was up and walking a bit.

Sick of rumours, don't want to bother his wife but may call her.

Vic's case is on crime stoppers.

RAP

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:38 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

When they do find these scumbags hopefully they will resist arrest.No lawyers, no plea bargains, no trials. Out of the gene pool forever.
Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:48 am 
AnimalNutt0599
F L I N T O I D

I just wanted to let you all know that my mom and I thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and support. Vic is doing well, walking around about every two hours, resting, talking, and supposed to be having the last of all three tubes taken out of his lungs today. If he continues progressing this way, the doctors have told us that he may be released as early as Monday. We will continue to keep you all updated with any information that we hear and the status of how Vic is doing. As for the criminals behind this whole mess, there have been arrest and leads, but nothing has been confirmed to having the people who did this to him, arrest and put forth for trail.
Jenn(Vic's daughter)
Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:29 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Glad to hear he's doing well.
Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:21 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Thanks glad your dad is improving.
Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:32 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:

quote:

Excellent description of the scumbags, should make apprehending them with citizens help a snap. Rolling Eyes

I've noticed the Flint Journal has been putting some small stories about crime and not mentioning the color of the criminal[s]. Gues it is a pc thing now.

Hogwash. When it comes to reporting crime, EVERY element of description of the perp needs to be recorded and broadcast far and wide. Starting with gender and skin color. The objective is to apprehend the culprit, not engage in racial insensitivities.

Culprit is described as a male 5'6" to 5'10" with a medium build...yeah right

morons.

but that's the FJ for ya

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:06 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: