FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Rain holds up Grass Cutting Contracts.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Because of Rain.

I’m thoroughly confused. Maybe someone out there can help? Is the Mayor’s office outside? Is it outside in the weather? Does it rain or snow inside City Hall? Here’s Why!

“…Williamson said the rainy weather has delayed the contract, and he called the grass too wet to cut.” Now either the reporter flubbed up the quote. Or, this is really what Don Williamson said.

My first thought was. “How does rain outside, keep the Mayor from submitting the proposal, on who he has decided to have cut the grass for 2006?” Did it Rain in his office? Or did it rain in the Hallway from his office on the First floor to the Council Office on the second? Maybe the roof leaked in the rain water and it got all over the bids. Please someone help me out here.

My second thought as it seems to me. That when Don took over the City. He had no problem getting trees cut without following the Bid procedure. He had no problem during his campaigns for himself, and his candidates for City Council, getting lawns mowed for voters in order to get him or his people elected. They just turned to the Williamson crew and pointed at what needed to be done. And it was done. Maybe Don’s finger is broken. Or maybe Mr. Cook needs to take over his former duties, since he did such an outstanding job at it. I’ll bet the Parks get cut. Since that was his most notable qualification for his position as Parks and Rec. Director.

Well, it is just my take on it. As usual, I’m just another dumb voter that isn’t smart enough to look at the problem and figure out a solution.

Council chides Williamson on lack of grass-cutting contract
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Thursday, June 08, 2006
By Kristin Longley
klongley@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6249

The City Council was up in arms Wednesday, as members contended a contract to cut overgrown grass in vacant lots should have been approved months ago.

Council members at a finance committee meeting said they have been getting complaints from residents daily about the overgrown lots in their wards.

They said that neither Mayor Don Williamson nor City Administrator Peggy R. Cook pursued the issue in late winter, when the bids for a grass-cutting company should have gone out.

Williamson, however, said no City Council members approached him on the issue, and the city has made improvements in other areas.

The lots with waist-high grass are an eyesore and a hazard to drivers at intersections, who can't see pedestrians and other cars, said 2nd Ward Councilwoman Jackie Poplar. She said she counted at least 57 overgrown lots in her ward.

"Do we not know every year that the grass is going to grow?" she asked, adding the contracts should already have been approved.

But Williamson said the rainy weather has delayed the contract, and he called the grass too wet to cut.

"Are we behind on cutting the grass? Maybe," he said. "But in the city of Flint, we're tearing down vacant houses and paving streets and whatnot. We have spent a lot of money to improve services to taxpayers."

Bids for grass-cutting services are due June 16. The council hopes to see the issue before them at the June 21 Finance Committee meeting.

At the rate the city administration is going, some vacant lots won't get cut this summer, 9th Ward Councilman Scott Kincaid said.

"We don't have anyone - not even one - who is legally authorized to cut vacant lots in this city," he said. "And we're now in June."

To complicate the issue, council members said money for the contract will have to come from Community Development Block Grant funds, which can't be used on all areas of the city, Kincaid said.

In addition, only $100,000 is available, which he said is a "pittance" of what the city needs for the job.

AFSCME Local 1600 President Sam Muma said the parks also are suffering because of the contract's delay. City workers who are supposed to be cutting park grass have been asked to cut vacant lots, leaving some parks not mowed.

"This is embarrassing," said 3rd Ward Councilman Kerry Nelson. "How long does it take to get a contract to cut grass? I want the grass cut."

Williamson said some council members are making a "mountain out of a molehill" and need to be more proactive in bringing issues before him.

"People (residents) surely call me about the grass," he said. "But they also call me about water bills, bad streets and condemned houses, and we're working on all of that."

Post Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
GUESTII

You just don't like the mayor. He is doing so much great stuff for the city. Just look at all the lawsuits that will have to be settled after he is gone for rights violations.
Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:09 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am with the Mayor on this one.
I think it is poor communication on the councils part.

The Mayor is one man and the council is 9 people.

My question is this, did the council sent the Mayors office a request for a bid in a timely manner?

Maybe it was or is sitting on someone desk because the person responsible was/is too busy to walk her lazy ass down the hall to deliver it??

Ummhumm...Like she was too busy last year to walk the paper work for the sidewalk lawsuite to the City Attorneys office??
Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ehren Gonzales

I agree with Steve... we must act as a team. Fixing Flint's problems are issues the Mayor needs to address, not alone, but with the partnerships of all Flints stakeholders, including the City council. All stakeholders, including the Council need to step up to the plate. Many Council members are quick to point blame but when it comes right down to it, in my opinion, this is not the way to tackle all our problems. We need to work together. We hear about all the platitudes and grandeous ideas come from many Council Members. However, what we do not hear enough of is how are these ideas going to be implemented and is there funding to make the idea a reality that we can sustain in the long run.

Council must prioritize what it wants to accomplish. We hear many on Council talk about increasing police presence, however, when I made the motion to amend money from Ombudsman to Police ($230K), while the motion did pass 5 -4, there were four members who did not vote in favor of public safety. In fact, one member wanted to take money from police and put it toward a Deputy Clerk (?). My priorities will always be known--Economic Development and Public Safety are both number one.

With regard to grass cutting, we have a problem. This is a fact. The problem is now being addressed. The administration is currently trying to resolve. Hopefully, we can see a drastic improvement within the next couple of weeks. As for the future, I do know one thing--and I have already marked my calendar for Jan. 2007--there will not be a lack of communication regarding the situation of grass cutting contracts going forward at least for as long as I am Council member. I will make sure it is on everyone's mind so we do not encounter a situation like this again. Some of the blame should fall on the members who were hear during the last council term and have been talking of recent about all the un-mowed lots. They should have alerted the new members in January 2006 of the need to have contracts resolved in early March leaving plenty of time so we would not run into these issues. But the communication did not occur.

Again, it is going to take a team effort. If we could capture all the negativity and proactively channel all the energy we would probably see many more POSITIVE OUTCOMES that can be sustained for the long run. I am committed to making this happen. Hopefully, all other coucil members are as well.

Ehren
Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:02 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

If your thought process led you to the conclusion that the City Council has any role in weed/trash abatement other than approving a contract for the process.. then you don't have a clue what you are talking about. The City Council has no hand in the bidding process... unless it is for video taping, in which case they send the FBI out to look for a non responsive bidder because they have a beef with the guy who is currently doing the work.

When the COF needs toilet paper, is it the responsiblity of the Council to bid that out? Hardly.. it is up to the individual departments and ultimately the Mayor to ensure the City Hall has enough toilet paper... not the City Council.

Why on earth would you bid out weed cutting in June? The bid is currently out there now. It makes no sense.... Weeds start growing in April.. not June...

The problem is being addressed half-assed... and only on the short term.... so we are going to mow lawns on an emergency basis... The entire City is not going to be taken care of in 3 weeks... that is a fact.... What is the plan for July, August, September and October..... Since we are mowing these areas on an emergency basis how are we going to bill the property owners when we have not followed the ordinance concerning notification? What is the repair bill going to be for these mowers that are bound to hit hidden objects in 4 foot tall grass? Just think of the overtime costs alone... there is no way this project is not going to cost more than $200,000. What if one of these jailbirds, the orangesuits, get injured while working for the City.. what is our liability?

And you want to talk about hiring police... what a bonehead move that was taking money from the Ombudsmans office... for what 2.5 police officers... give me a break... whay would you cripple a department.. while leaving almost a million dollars in the Mayors office for a guy that makes $1. a year. If you were serious about hiring more police, you would have taken $600,000.00 from the Mayor and hired 6 more cops... that was purely a feel good move --- At least with a Deputy Clerk, they would be a Deputy under someone... there is no permenant police chief, why do you need a deputy.. will they be Co-Deputies?

People in this town need to wake-up.... If you go along to get along... your a coward.....
Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ehren Gonzales

I disagree... You are right about what the Council's role is as it pertains to approving weed/trash abatement contracts. However, you have your blinders on because the Council also has a responsibility to inform administration of particular problems within their respective wards. This is one of the reasons we were elected. Residents do not always call the administration directly, they call their council member for action. Hence, Council/Administration should work together to resolve problems.

For weed/trash abatement Council/Administration should proactively work together in the early part of the year before it becomes a problem. Bottomline, the bids should have been rolled out earlier in the year. They weren't so now we have to adapt and try to fix the problem going forward. But, instead of always pointing fingers we need Council Members to offer ideas . We should not settle for the status quo, because status quo got us to the point of the State taking over.

You pose a great question regarding planning for subsequent months. I will be asking for an outline from administration as to what our plans are going forward.

As for taking money from Ombudsmans Office and putting it to police I will argue all day long that the Ombudsman office is not as important as hiring more police. Almost $.5M was allocated in the office prior to my floor amendment. Do a poll... I can guarantee that the majority of people in Flint want more police before funding an office that provides, in my opinion, no tangible benefits. If you disagree that increasing funding for public safety should be a priority over funding the Ombudsman office, then we will have to agree to disagree on the subject.

Finally, it is funny that you would resort to name calling at the end of your posting, because that is exactly what the City doesn't need. City residents want to see more professionalism and positive results in government. They were disgusted with the antics of the last council. If, after 4 years or representation, the citizens in the 8th Ward do not believe I have represented them appropriately then they will make a decision not to re-elect me and give someone else a try. That is the beauty of democracy. But, at this time it is my goal to represent my constituents. I have no hidden agendas as some others on the Council. My goal is to offer leadership that will help Flint in the long run. Hopefully, with the support of the community we will succeed in making this happen. We will succeed in changing the perception of Flint so families and businesses will want to move here.

Ehren
Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:40 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ehren Gonzales schreef:
I disagree... You are right about what the Council's role is as it pertains to approving weed/trash abatement contracts. However, you have your blinders on because the Council also has a responsibility to inform administration of particular problems within their respective wards. This is one of the reasons we were elected.

So you are telling me that the Mayor had no clue that grass was going to grow this year... interesting.... or that he didn't know that we needed to have a contract to mow grass this year... because he ran on the platform that he was going to take care of these problems... he ran ads where he was jumping out of tall grass to highlight the problem... He has a City Administrator who harped on this issue her entire time on Council.... and yet you were elected so that you can tell the Mayor that grass needs to be cut in the summer in Michigan... wow... good thing that he has you there to help him... JMF

Residents do not always call the administration directly, they call their council member for action. Hence, Council/Administration should work together to resolve problems.

I am fully aware of the fact that residents don't always call the Mayor... and I am also aware that this Mayor will be the first to tell them when they do call that it is the Councilpersons fault... when he is the one who oversees these programs... when he is the one that brings the resolutions for the Council to act on .... etc etc etc....JMF

For weed/trash abatement Council/Administration should proactively work together in the early part of the year before it becomes a problem.

See above... JMF

Bottomline, the bids should have been rolled out earlier in the year. They weren't so now we have to adapt and try to fix the problem going forward. But, instead of always pointing fingers we need Council Members to offer ideas .

I'll offer one... since I have found that grass grows in the summer... why not bid this out in March? At what point should residents stop simply move forward though... when are they justified in pointing fingers? Because this is not a new problem and is not specific to this Mayor.... He was elected on the premise that he was going to take care of this specific problem... this was a key part of his campaign... And now you suggest that it is wrong to hold him accountable for not following through? Wow ....JMF

We should not settle for the status quo, because status quo got us to the point of the State taking over.

No borrowing money from the Sewer/Water fund got us a State takeover... Sound familiar?.....JMF

You pose a great question regarding planning for subsequent months. I will be asking for an outline from administration as to what our plans are going forward.

As for taking money from Ombudsmans Office and putting it to police I will argue all day long that the Ombudsman office is not as important as hiring more police. Almost $.5M was allocated in the office prior to my floor amendment. Do a poll... I can guarantee that the majority of people in Flint want more police before funding an office that provides, in my opinion, no tangible benefits. If you disagree that increasing funding for public safety should be a priority over funding the Ombudsman office, then we will have to agree to disagree on the subject.

Come on Ehren... Where did I once suggest that Public Safety was less important than the Ombudsman... no where... what I did suggest was that if you were serious about putting more cops on the streets, you would have found more money to do it... not the feel good action that you took... 2.5 officers changes nothing....

And while you are polling folks... why don't you ask them if they think it is better to have a Christine Brown in the Mayors office who is at home until 10:00 am and then spends the better part of the day at Gator's Car Wash, or a Chuckie Young than it is having more cops on the streets.... why don't you poll to see if they want Patsy to have a baby-sitter in Margaret Fredricks or more cops on the streets... why don't you poll all those folks in your Ward who voted to recall Stanley and ask them why they made such a big fuss when he had a mere $350,000.00 budget for the Mayors office and ask them if they think that $1,000,000.00 is reasonable for a guy that makes $1.00 a year? What do you think those residents are going to say?.... JMF

Finally, it is funny that you would resort to name calling at the end of your posting,

I am sorry that you thought it was name calling... Actually it was a quote from a civil rights leader.. here in it's entirety.. "If you go along to get along you're a coward. Only through principled engagement can you be a force for change and hope." At some point you are going to have to move beyond this can't we all just get along stuff.... Asking questions and demanding accountability is your job... that is what you were elected to do.... Read the Charter... why do you think that the Council has investigative powers? Accountability.... In my opinion there is no accountability here now... JMF

because that is exactly what the City doesn't need.

Actually I agree, what the City really needs is to be mowed....JMF

City residents want to see more professionalism and positive results in government. They were disgusted with the antics of the last council.

Is that what you are giving them? Positive results? People want services from the City.... they aren't getting them today anymore than they were getting them last year.... How are the parks in your Ward? How is police response in your Ward? How are Code enforement in your Ward? come on Ehren... don't be so naive... Just because words come out of someones mouth don't mean that its true....JMF

If, after 4 years or representation, the citizens in the 8th Ward do not believe I have represented them appropriately then they will make a decision not to re-elect me and give someone else a try. That is the beauty of democracy.

Thats right... I agree with you here... and you are proof of that ... that is why about 50 more people voted for you than Bernie... but don't confuse that slim margin with a mandate... attribute that to better GOTV.... of coarse that doesn't say much for me though does it.....JMF

But, at this time it is my goal to represent my constituents.

Contrary to popular belief that is and was everyone's goal....JMF

I have no hidden agendas as some others on the Council.

You use this phrase alot... but never offer any examples... what are these "hidden agendas" and who are these "others on the Council" that have them?.... JMF

My goal is to offer leadership that will help Flint in the long run.

And I suppose that is why you voted to buy garbage trucks from a higer vendor outside the City... or a towing firm from outside the City.... and voted to buy gas guzzling Tahoes rather than Impalas that have motors built right here in the City.... and voted for a non-qualified candidate to be a parks director... and don't demand that we have a permenant police chief... and voted in the budget to have a deputy police chief.... and advocated the demise of the Ombudsman office... because all of these things are going to help Flint in the long run.....JMF

Hopefully, with the support of the community we will succeed in making this happen. We will succeed in changing the perception of Flint so families and businesses will want to move here.

I support this City 100%... that is why I have invested in a home here... I, unlike my Councilperson, actually pay property taxes to the City of Flint, I have decided to raise my family here.. I have decided that my children will be educated in Flint Schools... and is precisely why I demand that my government is accountable to me because I believe that Flint has a future..

Joshua Freeman, Citizen

Ehren
Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Ahh, Finally. Dialogue that may eventually bring solutions.

1st, Steve, While the submission for approval is completely in the Mayor’s ball park. No communication is needed from City Council for the Mayor to do what he is supposed to do. However, it is a bit hypocritical for the Council to say they’ve known about the problem. And not informed the Mayor that they are receiving complaints. I personally didn’t complain because Don isn’t concerned with anything I’ve got to say. And even when you present overwhelming evidence on any matter concerning this city. Council and the Mayor ignore it and do what’s in their best interest anyway.
1. Peterbilt Trucks over less expensive Quality Comparable Internationals.
2. More expensive, higher maintenance costs and less safe Chevy Tahoes over Impalas. Without a bid process? Hmm did they pay more than they would have had they been purchased from Applegate? We’ll never know.
3. No bid process for Tree Cutting.
4. Appointments without meeting criteria.
5. Impound lot violating Zoning Ordinance. (Talk about hypocritical)
6. I could go on.

While all Flints stakeholders need to work together. The mayor is the Leader. His leadership sets the tone for everything. Especially in council meetings. This is what we the people see. I’m not making this up. I talk to people all the time. That say they watch the meetings and the “NOTE” this council sure goes along with the mayor, even when people speaking against it make a very sensible case against it. We see this when we watch the Council meetings and people stand up and make overwhelmingly legitimate arguments for or against. Then the council just rubber Stamps the Mayors plans. (I’m sorry, I had to repeat it. because I’m not the only one that has said this.)

Now the Mayor obviously overlooked the whole grass cutting issue until it hit the Flint Journal. As the City’s top leader. Instead of saying. “Ya know, the buck stops here. I’ve been more concerned with paving streets, painting graffiti (etc, or whatever) that I over looked this completely. I let you down Flint. But, I’m going to fix it. And Fix it immediately.”

Had the Mayor came out in that manner. I would have been the first one to jump up and down saying. WOW, Don may finally become a leader after all. If we can just get him to move in this direction or that direction we might have some hope for some real improvements. Not just cotton candy or smoke and mirrors. BUT NO. He immediately made excuses. It was raining in City hall and I couldn’t get the proposals to Council for approval. Or that No Councilperson ever told me there was a problem. He copped out! Poor leadership! Blame the other guy because he dropped the ball.

I’m sorry. But honestly. I’m not overly upset over the ball being dropped on cutting grass. What bothers me is the bigger picture. It is just another simple example of poor management ability and a severe leadership deficiency. Plain and simple.

EG>Council must prioritize what it wants to accomplish. We hear many on Council talk about increasing police presence, however, when I made the motion to amend money from Ombudsman to Police ($230K), while the motion did pass 5 -4, there were four members who did not vote in favor of public safety. In fact, one member wanted to take money from police and put it toward a Deputy Clerk (?). My priorities will always be known--Economic Development and Public Safety are both number one.

As for taking money from Ombudsmans Office and putting it to police I will argue all day long that the Ombudsman office is not as important as hiring more police. Almost $.5M was allocated in the office prior to my floor amendment. Do a poll... I can guarantee that the majority of people in Flint want more police before funding an office that provides, in my opinion, no tangible benefits. If you disagree that increasing funding for public safety should be a priority over funding the Ombudsman office, then we will have to agree to disagree on the subject. <EG

What evidence or proof is spending more money on Police that you or anyone else is more concerned with public safety than someone who wants to cut the funding? Using dollar bills to fill a hole so that kids don’t fall in it. Doesn’t make sense. Filling it with Dirt DOES. Throwing more of my good tax dollars at a lackluster police dept. That has the longest list of excessive excuses as to why they cannot do their job. Than any place I’ve ever seen.

Am I the only person in Flint. That looks at the Stats for the Police Dept and draws any other conclusion than they are simply not doing the job. Or that responding to more than One or two calls per day, Is not too much to ask for?

1986 Presidential report on crime shows that the average drug addict commits over 187 crimes a year. Yet averages getting caught twice a year. Then out of the two times he is caught. It is rare that anything happens. Crime is going up. Plan and simple. THE CITY OF FLINT WEBSITE DOCUMENTS IT. I didn’t make it up. Just as all the information I’ve gathered on my website concerning the Calls and Incidents and responses by the Flint Police Department. Are Flint’s OWN Legitimate NUMBERS. I didn’t make them up. The City of Flint reports it. I just try to put it into perspective. Make it simplier for people to see what is happening.

The Mayor and the City Council continue to ignore this FACT! They both continue to cover it up. The Mayor Says “major crime is reduced” The City’s website (THE ONLY AUTHORITY THAT THE CITY USES FOR reporting. As per the City of Flint attorney. Or the Councils continued plea for more officers and that the ones we have now, that average less than two calls a day. Are doing a fine job.

According the Police Chief. 40 Police officers out of a force of 253 are responsible for 25% of Flint’s reported incidents in 2005. That is one officer responding to 550 incidents in the City of Flint. That is equal to handling 1.5 incidents a day. Are you telling me. That only handling 1.5 problems a day. Is worth having a department of 253? When you add in how much more work is accomplished if these 40 where included in the whole picture. Police officers would only have to come in and handle ONE incident per day for a 365 day year. Would police handling two a day be better? How more officers do we need in Flint so that the ones we have now. Don’t even have to do anything more than ONE incident a day. If this was FORD or GM. Flint would be Downsizing it’s police force. Based on it’s manpower per incident rates.

Ok, I know I’m fudging the division. But it is important to break this down so that you can see exactly how much crime actually is happening in Flint. And who is responding and how. (I will do a more legitimate manpower analysis, with the City’s budgeted numbers. But, I want people to think about this. Look at it for themselves. I admit. I am exaggerating a little. But it’s only a little. ) I will post some more factual numbers. Once I’ve finished all my FOIA requests. But even if, my numbers doubled. From 1.5 incidents a day per officer to 3 incidents per day per officer. Are we really getting the bang for the buck from our police dept?

YES. Money would be better spent on the Clerks office and on the Ombudsman’s office. Hiring 10 or 11 more officers to hold the black top down at Seven Eleven. Is not a effective means of promoting public safety. City Council and the Mayor have got to decide. That we are not going to settle for shoddy, lackluster, excuse ridden, piss poor police work. We are not going to accept excuses. Citizens shouldn’t have to form community groups. To get officers out of their cars where a shooting had just occurred twenty minutes earlier, because it’s shift change. Or have 30 citizens screaming at community Policing officer because they won’t arrested the druggies hanging around Williams school. (SIX MONTHS OF CALLS TO POLICE) I’ve documented many examples of whole cases handed to police with evidence, eye witness testimony, and directions to the criminals house. Yet they refuse to do anything.

And Sure you can argue that all day long. But spending .5 million and getting nothing but the same lack of response, concern or results from police. Isn’t money well spent.

I’ve read and reread the end of his post. I must be missing the Name calling. Calling something a BONEHEAD move is not name calling. Now, had he called you a bonehead. That would be name calling. If your referring to the Coward Statement. If the shoe fits, wear it. But, if it doesn’t why would you consider that being called a name. Personally, if someone said that to me. I would be looking at I was saying. To see if my points were legitimate and I wasn’t defending the indefensible. That was an excellent point. I’m all for working together. But, working together is “helping.” Not doing someone else’s job for them. So that they can sit in their air conditioned Police car and talk on their cell phone! Having Video of Siding thieves stealing siding, having their driver’s license numbers when they sell the stuff at junk yards, along with the video of them selling it. Is more than doing their job for them. The problem is. We give the police more than enough evidence to arrest criminals. AND THEY FIGHT US TOOTH AND NAIL, MAKE EXCUSES WHY they CANNOT DO THEIR JOB, Then cry they need more officers when their failure to act continues to encourage others to do the same. Become career criminals.

Just please. DO YOU AND ME A FAVOR. Take an honest and open minded look at the Stats for Flint, and Lansing. For Flint and Amherst NY. Look at how much money their budgets for police are and how much MORE Flint’s is. Look at their crime rates, and Look at Flints. Then look at how few Officers they have. Yet they all do 3 to 15 times better in almost every area of Crime.

The problem. IF YOU WILL TAKE just a half hour of dedicated time to review the city of Flint’s stats. Then please give me another option. Other than the reason being Lack of Leadership? One that can be proved. Make a case. I’ve not heard one deceit reason for hiring more officers? I would love to broaden my mind on this issue.

I’ve researched and reasoned out, Poverty’s Impact, unemployment’s impact, and other demographic information. I cannot find any other reason for Flint’s recent THIRTY (30 %) PERCENT increase in Crime over the last two years other than lack of Leadership, and or denial of the problem by City Council. No one. Is taking the source of the problem seriously. Except for myself and a few others I’ve talked to. I’m trying to get out and talk to more people in the community and see what their thoughts are. I get a few. That get angry when I point the finger at lack of leadership. Until after I’ve had an opportunity to lay out my case. Most start repeating the same arguments I post here online. And on my website. Thus the reason, I’m becoming more and more embolden with my statements. You don’t think, I actually thought all this up myself do you? I talk to smarter people than I everyday. They are constantly giving me other areas to look at and ideas to think about and research.

I can’t wait until I see what the response it to my TV Show. I may set up some my home phone lines to record information from Flint’s citizens. Maybe even have some Polls set up for people to call in with a agree or disagree. I don’t know yet. But, I’ve got to get Four shows made before I even get a viewing time.
Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

JOSH, WILL YOU PLEASE STOP READING MY MIND!!
TED J

LOL
Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:50 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Ehren Gonzales,
I must say, you've got more guts than the rest of the council put together. I don't aggree with much of what you expound. But, your the only one. Who was willing to make a stand against retaining the Ombudsman. No matter how weak the position. You held fast. And here again. Your willing to discuss the issues. While your finding that most here don't agree. Personally, I don't buy a word Steve ever posts himself here. He seems to take a moment to take a stand, in an effort to get people to argue back and forth. From where I'm standing. I'm getting some of where your coming from.

Your not hiding. That's excellent (as far as I'm concerned) You are so far ahead of the rest of this council. I just wish we could win you over to see things from the perspective we are seeing them.

Alex Harris. Is the Norm. believe it or not. His, Mine, Josh, Eric... we are all watching the same thing. And we seem to be coming to the same conclusions. Even though, I've never talked to Alex, talk to eric for about 3 minutes a week and just called josh for the first time in two months because he seems to be reading my mind. (I hate it when people beat me to point.) I talked to people all the time. Business owners and citizens of Flint. I find few, Yes Few. That believe the Mayor is doing more than paving streets and "Cleaning" up the city. When I ask the more difficult questions. Some don't blame the mayor as I do for Poor leadership. But, not one. Except a little old lady who didn't have a clue as to anything she was saying (couldn't give one example of what she was talking about) who was 100 percent behind what the Mayor was doing. She also showed her true colors with some racist statements she made about ceaning up city hall. Aittudes Like that I rebuke. These issues are not Black vs. White or white blame black or black balme white. They are issues that affect everyone.

Most are just thrilled to think that roads are being paved. (not that they weren't before, it's just the former mayor didn't hold a press conference or always point to that when people call him on the carpet) They don't seem to care a bit about Crime. Unless something has actually happened to them. then all hell breaks loose in the conversation. Which I’m finding is quite a few people. I will be interviewing citizens over the next few months and putting them on my show. With straight forward questions and answers. Weather they agree with me or not. I'll be putting them on. I was considering starting with my Neighbors. Yes, the ones that every single one had their cars broken into three weeks ago. And the response by officers amounted to "There's nothing we can do" Sad Sad Sad. From interviews I’ve done with other municipalities. They will do something. Where Flint refuses to anything.

As I've mentioned before. I'm not against the city having an impound lot. I thought it was actually a pretty good idea. Except. How can we as a City. Impound vehicles for violating City Ordinances. When the Impound lot they are being kept at. violates the same section of the City ordinance. Hmm How do i know that. I went to the City website and spent almost an hour reading the boring ordinance. Eric Mayes is 110 percent correct. It's right there in Black and White. Even an idiot like me can read it and understand that where the impound lot is. Is a violation of the ordinance. I know I cannot be the only one in Flint smart enough to go the www.cityofflint.com click on the link for the city charter and ordinances and read it for myself. I even wanted to post a link to it. but found the way the site works. I cannot pull up a link directly to that section fo the ordinance.

wouldn't it make sense. To just go to the zoning board/commission and request a change in Zoning. It's not like there are a lot of neighbors in that area that are living adjacent to that property to raise a ruckus. Why break the law in order to enforce another one. I’ll understand if you don’t answer. But even a little child understands want is wrong with the saying. "Do what I say not as I do." Poor Leadership, It’s a very poor example. It’s failing to lead by example. Number one rule in the USMC. Lead by example. You never expect those under you to do anything you yourself wouldn’t or haven’t done yourself. I’m just surprised. No one has taken this to court yet. I’m expecting this will be another lawsuit that the City will lose millions on. Once someone finally takes the City to Court. And we lose.

We lost on the Sewer problem and we are about to loose again on the sewer problem. We are going to lose the lawsuit by the paper carrier. That is so cut and dry. You don’t even need a law degree to figure that one out.

Then there is the builder that bought the Kearsley project that has been in the courts for years. I don’t understand why the City and mayor isn’t bending over backwards to help this guy get those houses finished. Why should he pay off the Mayor or City when he purchased the project from a company that went bankrupt? He is not liable for bills caused by the former developer. We should be helping this guy out. More tax base! More middle class citizens in Flint. This is not a time for the city to try to make a point that doesn’t exist. You want to talk about working together and teamwork. The City should be helping in every way it can, instead of demanding payment of bills left by the former developer. That comes across to me as extortion. Expecting a payoff to do business in Flint. Flint should be handing out business licenses and permits to build like candy. If not giving them away! We need to be business friendly. Not demanding Payoffs. If you don’t know what I’m talking about. I’ll see if I can get the article from the Flint Journal. Where the Mayor was demanding the developer to pay off debt incurred by the former developer on that project.

Technology is something we both agree on possibly right in line with other. Most of the Council won’t even return email. I wonder if they even know how to turn on a computer. My last letter. Which I prefer snail mail when for important issues. I received three responses this time. I was kind of surprised who responded this time. Ms. Poplar, You and Ms. Hill. I’m thrilled you took the time to read it. however, I’m finding that much of what we the people are thinking and discovering is not being taken into consideration when vote comes around on the issue we write the council about. If there is a flaw in the logic. I'd love to hear it.

We are just finding. That while this council seems to be willing to listen. They do not hear what we are saying. They are not "as a whole" taking what we are saying into consideration. Especially when, the return comments and apology, are so weak compared to the argument made by WE the citizens. Privately I’ve given you a plethora of examples, very recent as to why Flint doesn’t need more officers. Yet you still try to make a case that we need more. If 4 officers block traffic on Fenton rd. 30 minutes after the accident has been cleaned up, and they stick around for over an hour? I don’t see the point. These officers obviously have too much time on their hands. Last year. I remember seeing officers driving around taking down “Yard Sale’ signs of telephone poles. With all the crime in Flint. We have police with time to remove yard sale signs and hand out tickets for putting them up. C’mon. I believe in fighting all crime. But, why does that receive higher priority than home invasion or car theft or even destruction of private property? We need more officers to catch hardened criminals that hang Yard sale signs on telephone poles. Those are just two of the outrageous examples of a waste of Police officers time. I’m not counting the eight officers at the housing commission meeting or the two that arrested the journal paper carrier in City hall. Or that two that wasted an hour harassing the mechanic test driving a police vehicle, of the four per shift on duty on the weekends. There are so many productivity and effectiveness of usage of officers problems with the leadership and management in the police Department. That more officers is not what we need. Effective leadership and management is. Once we finally get that. Then we can look at whether we really need more officers. I believe, if you crunch the numbers. You’ll come to the same conclusions I have. I've even made them all available to anyone willing to or wanting to decide for themselves. While politically it’s not a great stand. I’ve noticed, that doesn’t seem to bother you. LOL I think most people are like me. We respect Guts and Determination. Not weather every decision you make is the right one or we agree with.
Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:15 am 
Adam

The mayor does have a point. He may have been slightly misquoted. Talking to the union parks guy the rain is delaying/halting mowing. Equipment is getting stuck! You can not mow if your equipment is stuck in the mud! I think you should be careful about what you read in the Flint Journal. For one it's impossible to tell the whole story anyways.

If we had an adequate parks system we wouldn't have to bid out mowing lots. I'd rather us get rid of the golf course department and re-establish our parks department. I'm amazed we can manage to run a golf course department when our we can't even manage to run a lot mowing department. Since our parks department already has the equipment why not give them the employees they need? It's nice we are trying to save money bidding out multiple mowing contracts but for all the time it takes bidding out contracts we could be mowing lots. I know Flint seems to like to "think outside the box" but I think we should start thinking more inside the box and running things like a normal city would.
Adam Ford
Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:20 pm 
Adam

To go back to the original post. If it's too muddy you can't mow because the big mowing machines get stuck. If mowing contracts are timed out we could start paying out now when it's too muddy to mow or we can wait and give out contracts when you can mow. In other words do we want to pay for nothing? The mayor could be trying to save money. I know Kearlsy Park is a flood plain. I'm surprised that ever gets mowed.
Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:32 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Adam, Rain did not delay the Mayor from putting forth a proposal on the Bids for mowing the Vacant Lot's in Flint. This was one of his very own "PET PEAVES" of city services that were not being done and a reason we should elect him. Ie He would get it done.

The Mowing contracts and planning should have been completed and in place by March 2006. Not call it an emergency in in June and then use that as an excuse to bypass the bud process for getting the job done.

Those are the points in a nutshell.

No teamwork was needed. No input from City council was needed to do exactly what he promised to do once he was Mayor. The Council needed only to approve the proposal/contract.
Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:36 pm 
Adam

Maybe he read the farmer's almanac and knew we would have a rainy season. lol Anyways I tried playing devil's advocate. Perhaps with the mayors increased staff he can hire an extra person to make sure this gets bid out next year. Seems like a lot of hassle. Why not just hire a couple more parks guys or better yet some black people out of the north end. I think that would get him more support and be a better alternative to contracting out a city service. I'm just making stuff up though. I understand civil service has a lot of say in who gets hired and there's also union contracts. No mayor will ever be perfect. In addition the mayors office could have communications glitches. For example if people don't call police for car's getting broke into I imagine they might not bother to call the mayors office for lots not getting mowed. I'm only guessing because I have no communication whatsoever with the mayor. He never comes to city council meetings. To me that is more important than a mowing blunder.
Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:24 pm 
Adam

I may have screwed up in one of my above posts. I'm frustrated how the city of Flint doesn't focus more on hiring within. Why not hire city residents to do city work such as the parks department? It's nice how we help out other cities by hiring their residents that pay taxes to other cities but why not help out ourselves a little more? I think we'd be better off hiring Flint residents to work in the parks system than to save a few bucks contracting out so we can help pay property taxes to other cities. I think I may have come off the wrong way when I tried to play the race card. I may try and do it again though at the city council meeting to try and get Mr. Dumas to back me up. Technically though if we did fair hiring the majority of people hired should be black but by going outside of Flint I guess that would be unaffirmative action by hiring more in white area and less in black areas. Maybe if a white Republican raises this issue using the race card at a city council meeting to our affirmative affction council members we can actually hire more from within.
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:54 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: