FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: What happened to Leadership?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I recently made a post about USMC leadership. To Summerize, I concluded that using USMC leadership Principles and Traits we can analize our leaders and have better governemnt if our elected leaders used these prinicples and traits we could have better government.

So far no has presented anything related to what I proposed. They talked about "blindly following" which I have no clue where that came from. They talked about "Not compromising" Where nothing I said presented anything close to not being able to compromise.

So Are we in agreement that use of these principles and traits could make Government better and our leaders more effective?
Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

You've also got to be careful about the direction the leader is going.
I want people in office that care about the ordinary folks, not about power and party politics. We have too many people in office, and running for office that are there for the power, not for the people.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:15 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
You've also got to be careful about the direction the leader is going.
I want people in office that care about the ordinary folks, not about power and party politics. We have too many people in office, and running for office that are there for the power, not for the people.

While I agree that the majority of elected officials are there because they are on a power trip or in it for themselves. We have seen that "Not taking a paycheck" doesn't exclude someone from doing what is in their own best interests. But, can someone who really wants to do what is right by the people be elected? They don't have financial backing becuase they don't want to owe people... They don't have political stature becuase they don't don't play party politics. So how do we elect such a person?

This would make a great conversation on another thread.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:13 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
So Are we in agreement that use of these principles and traits could make Government better and our leaders more effective?

No, because good leadership and traits of good leadership are all subjective. They may be useful in criticizing or analyzing leadership but I believe good leadership is subjective in the eyes of the followers and opposition.

You should have continued the old thread.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:05 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:

No, because good leadership and traits of good leadership are all subjective. They may be useful in criticizing or analyzing leadership but I believe good leadership is subjective in the eyes of the followers and opposition.

You should have continued the old thread.

See, you cannot even discuss it when you can't even get ot the point where you discuss it! Yes that did sound stupid. But so is your arguement!

What specifically about USMC leadership Prinicples or Traits cannot make a policital leader a excellent political leader. See you won't even discuss that. You do song and dances around the subject. All the while failing to discuss the subject material!

If you understand what makes good music. You can discuss what is good music. Just because it is subjective doesn't mean it cannot be understood. SO From what I've stated before. What prinicple or trait would not make a good leader? O would you like me to post them again?
Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:30 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

http://www.cityofflint.net/usmc_leadership.htm

Here is a link to my page when I did the class on my TV show. Just let me know what you disagree with. Or stop posting nonsense to this thread. Start a new one. Maybe call it. What I think is USMC leadership but cannot be proen expect in my dreams!
Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:36 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

[quote="Ted Jankowski"][quote="Adam"]
What specifically about USMC leadership Prinicples or Traits cannot make a policital leader a excellent political leader. [quote]

I'd say every single trait you quoted could make a bad leader or make a good leader. Subjectively people could argue Adolph Hitler was a good leader. I don't think Adolph Hitler was a good leader.

I also don't believe in a rigid set of rules for good leadership.

For a specific example you could try and use those traits or your leadership training to qualify yourself as an awesome leader and I could argue that you are a poor leader.

As another example for political leaders I think political leaders should be graded on results. As an example who cares about tact if you get stuff done? I really don't.

Since I grade effective leadership on results I could say marine corps leadership is innefective and use you as an example.

Theoretically you could also be a good political leader by chance by randomly appointing the right people to the right positions.

I'm pretty much done with this discussion though. I'll leave it to your "leadership" to continue.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:36 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

First off, you never started a discussion of leadership. You keep pointing to anything and everything I've not even brought up. You are talking in circles and spouting nonsense! Adam, I thought you were smarter than that!

How anyone with with even a high shcool level of intellegence coudl say something so sill as "I'd say every single trait you quoted could make a bad leader or make a good leader. Subjectively" I am beside myself.

Subjectively? Are you sure your using the right word? Antagonistic would probably be a better word.

To take what your saying at face value. Then Subjectively whatever you mean by it. Would mean that a good leader will not have good judgement, or lead justly, or be DEPENDABILE, or take initiative, have integrity, be tactful when dealing with people, etc.

Why do you confuse a charismatic leader with a good leader? What is your fasination with Adolph Hitler? Who would argue is was a good leader?

Theoretically if you followed all these prinicples to a tee. You'd be a great leader. BUt, you can't even get to the discussion because the trees are blocking your way to the forrest.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:16 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: