FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: 8 arrested at NW

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Eight arrested after fights at Flint's Northwestern Academy
by Shannon Murphy | The Flint Journal
Monday March 03, 2008, 4:23 PM
FLINT -- After several fights broke out last week at Northwestern Academy resulting in the arrests of eight students, family members of students there are calling for tighter security.

Fights at the school on Carpenter Road made news Wednesday when dozens of officers were sent to the school on initial reports of a riot during lunch. Police and school officials dismissed the claim of a riot, saying there had been a small fight between two students.

Northwestern Academy fights
• Police said eight students were arrested as a result of several fights throughout the day Wednesday. Most fights, police said, involved only a few students each.

• Dozens of officers were called to the school about lunchtime for reports of a riot at the school, but police and district officials dismissed those claims. Police said no one was arrested during that incident.

Gloria Eads, who has two grandchildren at the school, is sick of hearing about the fights at the school. Her eighth-grade grandson has been assaulted by other students in the past and her 10th-grade granddaughter is constantly picked on, she said.

"I'm outraged," she said. "The school is doing nothing about it. My granddaughter is scared to come to school."

District officials declined to comment Monday, but said last week no changes would be made at the school.

On Monday, police said there had been several fights throughout the day Wednesday, both before and after lunch, in which eight students were arrested, but no one was arrested during the lunchtime fight. Police used pepper spray on at least one student during a morning fight.

"It was just kids fighting," said Lt. Darryl Patterson of the Flint police Juvenile Division. "It was a normal day except for a couple of fights.

Patterson said an officer at the school who is not used to dealing with students called for back-up when kids began "jumping around."

He said other fights during the day involved only a few students each and were quickly under control.

Tom Williams, whose grandson is in seventh grade at the school, is glad people were arrested in the fights, but thinks more needs to be done to keep students safe.

"There are always concerns about kids going to school and trying to learn (and fights breaking out)," he said. "School should be safe."

RAP says,
Yep, sure sounds like nothing to be worried about..just a normal day!
Kids jumping around caused an officer to call for back-up.
hmm someone forgot to tell him to not call the cops unless some kids are dead!

Peace,
RAP

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:02 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Nobody dead or in the hospital. Just a normal day. God help us!

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

If I was unfortunate enough to have a child enrolled in that institute of higher learning I would sure try to figure out a way to get him or her the hell out of there. Homeschooling anyone? Oh wait they wont get a diverse education. Rolling Eyes

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:32 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

In the late 80's, our daughter was at Northern. She refused to go due to sexual harassment from the boys & threats from the girls. We were able to get her into the music program at Central, where she had no problems & graduated with good grades.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

What Northwestern, and many Flint schools, need:
http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=a3aeb4233f40d123c23345d063b9654cc3b02b1a

If NYC can do it, Flint can do it. All it takes is effective and competent leaders.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:39 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Shawn Chittle schreef:
What Northwestern, and many Flint schools, need:
http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=a3aeb4233f40d123c23345d063b9654cc3b02b1a

If NYC can do it, Flint can do it. All it takes is effective and competent leaders.

Seen any lately?

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:12 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Methinks, in government at least, that's oxymoronic.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:27 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

What Northwestern along with probably every other school needs is to round up the known trouble makers and show them the exit. Pemanently.
Ya I know how cruel and uncaring. Shocked

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:54 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

I've got a buddy who teaches in the suburbs. He says that since Proposal A the administration won't allow removing (bad seeds) unless they are a blatant threat to security. ($7,000 per head is a lot of incentive to let them hang around!) I would imagine in Flint they have to be even more than a blatant threat.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:14 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: