FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: An armed robbery is not a violent crime in Flint?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Flint, Michigan, burglaries and robberies on the rise as violent crimes decline
by Shannon Murphy | The Flint Journal
Saturday March 01, 2008, 6:00 PM
T, MICHIGAN -- Eleanor Thompson has lived in her Dayton Street house for almost 60 years.

But after two recent break-ins, she doesn't feel safe in the place she has called home for so long.

In late January, Thompson said, two men with guns entered her home. Her son, James, chased them away before anything was stolen.

But it was a different story Feb. 1. Two armed men entered her home again through an unlocked door and stole about $1,500 in cash she had just taken out of the bank to pay bills.

No one was injured, but Thompson, 79, can't believe her neighborhood has changed to the point where she constantly has to lock the doors and be on the lookout for anything suspicious.

Staying safe
• Make sure doors and windows are always locked, even if you are home.

• If you can install a motion-detector or other light near entrances to your home or install a security camera.

• Watch your home and neighbors and report any suspicious activity, such as unusual people walking up to homes, to the police.

• If someone has broken into your home, do not go in and look around; go to a safe location and call the police.

• Do not confront someone that has illegally entered your home. Rolling Eyes

• Check with your local neighborhood association or police for more tips.
"I'd like to move," she said. "It just doesn't feel like home to me."

At a time when city leaders are touting a drop in violent crimes such as homicide, burglaries and robberies are on the rise.

Burglaries went up 3 percent, and robberies rose 6 percent last year compared with 2006, according to preliminary data from Flint police.

A robbery refers to crimes in which something was taken directly from a person, or the homeowner was present when someone broke into their home. A burglary is a crime against property, meaning the property owner wasn't around when the crime was committed.

Flint seems to bucking a national trend that has seen property crimes decrease or remain stable in the past 10 years, said Ronald Kramer, a sociology professor and chairman of the criminal justice department at Western Michigan University.

The numbers of crimes, such as home invasions, had started to increase nationally in the past two years, but preliminary 2007 numbers show another drop, Kramer said.

Other local police agencies also reported following the national trend. Most departments had about the same amount of burglaries and robberies as previous years, although some crimes, such as stealing scrap metal, have increased.

Area police and experts, however, aren't too surprised to see Flint's property crimes increasing.

Rick Matthews, chairman of the sociology and criminal justice departments at Carthage College in Kenosha, Wis., has studied crime rates in Rust Belt towns, such as Flint, that were devestated by the loss of manufacturing in the 1980s and 1990s.

He said it's not unusual for such communities to go against national crime trends because they've never fully recovered from the job losses.

"If you think about it, the crimes most likely to increase during economic downturns are drugs and property crimes," he said.

Kramer estimated that with the state's poor economy, Flint may not be the only urban community to see a property crime increase.

"Given the economy of Michigan, you can certainly expect property crimes would go up," he said. "I wouldn't be surprised if some of that (poor economy) is showing up in increased property crime rates."

Acting Flint Police Chief Gary Hagler said his staff looks for trends in the crime statistics to determine where specific resources, such as surveillance operations and increased patrols, are needed. Final numbers are expected to be submitted to the state within a few weeks.

The city also is considering asking voters to approve a $12-million police millage that would potentially give the department more officers to address property crimes.

Residents in areas hit hardest -- such as the one bordered by Corunna Road, the Flint Township line and Third Avenue on the city's west side -- aren't surprised by the increase.

Most attribute the uptick to the economy and the number of people out of work.

Police also said much of it has to do with drug problems and some people trying to find an easy way to get money.

Mona Hughes, president of the West Flint Community Watch, said that since May or June, break-ins are happening almost daily. In the past, the neighborhoods saw about five break-ins a month.

"I worry that we'll lose the stability of the neighborhood (if this continues)," Hughes said. "The elderly will start to feel unsafe and will move out after five years here."

Hughes' group meets monthly with residents to discuss ways to combat the problem.
Police have upped patrols in the area, using special response teams and members of the Citizens Service Bureau, and go undercover in some sections of the city.

Flint police Detective Lt. Jim Peterson, who heads the crimes against property unit, said that in the past six months, break-ins at city homes have increased dramatically, especially in the west and south sides.

While there have been some arrests, the crimes don't seem to be slowing down, he said.

"A lot of these burglaries are occurring during the day when people have gone to work," he said.

Thompson's robbery was somewhat unusual because she was home at the time.

"That's pretty bold (to rob a place) when the people are home," Flint Lt. Tim Johnson said. "It's not the norm, but it doesn't surprise me."

Alberta Douglas, who coordinates the South Area Crime Watch, enlists citizen volunteers to do their own patrols through neighborhoods.

Douglas, 69, has become even more vigilant since her home was burglarized twice in January. The first time, a snowblower was stolen from her garage; the second time, someone broke into her home while she slept and stole her purse.

"I look out at the 90-year-old neighbor's home every day," she said, adding that she isn't scared for herself but for others in the neighborhood. "I get up all night to make sure she's OK."

Douglas said she owns a shotgun and that the next time someone tries to steal from her, "They will be facing that."

Mary S. Williams, a friend of Douglas, lives on the north side end of town, but said the problem is everywhere.

When she heard about break-ins at Douglas' home, as well as at others in the area, she became more worried.

"It made me paranoid after it happened," she said, adding that people will walk down her street yelling or throwing snowballs at houses to see which homes are empty.

Williams said she makes sure all her doors are locked and won't get out of her car until the garage door has shut.

"I'm also looking into getting a gun and a (concealed weapons permit)," she said. "They are stealing our peace and security." Excellent idea Very Happy

Send To A Friend | Print this | Permalink

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:28 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

That home on Dayton is down the block & just around the corner from us. They're members of out Block Club. I can't figure out why they didn't call it what it was, a home invasion. I'm guessing the perps were at the bank, saw her making the withdrawal & followed her home. Notice that they entered through an unlocked door - bad move.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
insider
F L I N T O I D

"... but Thompson, 79, can't believe her neighborhood has changed to the point where she constantly has to lock the doors and be on the lookout for anything suspicious."

I am thinking her neighborhood hasn't changed just recently, especially Dayton Ave. Have her eyes been closed for the last 20 years? I wouldn't send my worst enemy down that street.
Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:17 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

[/quote]• Do not confront someone that has illegally entered your home.
quote:

Ya know I was reading this article at my mom's house this morning and as soon as I saw this line I said to myself : Old 2 tap will have an answer for this.
I tend to be, dare I say, "liberal" leaning on most issues, and I admit I don't understand some people's love affair with weapons but.... If somebody followed my mom into her home through a locked or unlocked door looking to steal $1500 or whatever I would not weep for them if they get blasted to oblivian.

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:29 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
If somebody followed my mom into her home through a locked or unlocked door looking to steal $1500 or whatever I would not weep for them if they get blasted to oblivian.

Sounds like your getting with the program. Very Happy Hopefully you have the means at hand to accomplish that task.

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:47 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Speaking of which, hey twotap...I'm looking at a used Sig P229 .40 cal at Gander Mountain. Is $500 a reasonable price? Supposedly it's a factory rehab.
Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:55 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Sounds reasonable, used ones are running $539 to $599 at Williams. Does it come with an extra mag?

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:03 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Not sure.
Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:03 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
insider schreef:
"... but Thompson, 79, can't believe her neighborhood has changed to the point where she constantly has to lock the doors and be on the lookout for anything suspicious."

I am thinking her neighborhood hasn't changed just recently, especially Dayton Ave. Have her eyes been closed for the last 20 years? I wouldn't send my worst enemy down that street.

I drive it daily.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
Speaking of which, hey twotap...I'm looking at a used Sig P229 .40 cal at Gander Mountain. Is $500 a reasonable price? Supposedly it's a factory rehab.

Gander Mountain had a big sale going. Don't know if it's still in effect, though. I got a new Springfield Armory XD in 45ACP - 13 round magazine, 5" barrel - for $500, including shipping and insurance. It came with 2 magazines, a mag loader, mag pouch and holster. www.budsgunshop.com They shipped it to a local dealer who did the paperwork for a small fee. Such transactions are 100% legal. I had to have the purchase permit from the Police before the paperwork could be completed, just like buying one the dealer had in stock.

BTW, the 40 is supposed to have more perceived recoil than the 45.

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:27 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

What I find interesting is the usual lack of suspect description in the Journal crime reporting columns. I had an email exchange with the Journal editor a while back as to why they never give a complete description of the suspects such as race. He told me they did not feel it would be of any benefit in helping to catch the perps. PC crimefighting it dosent get any better. By the way someone mentioned that there are those of us who have a "love affair" with weapons. To that I say its a good thing that their are those of us who do take the steps necessary to protect ourselves and family and fight to keep the 2nd ammendment alive. If not for us the 2nd ammendment would have been taken out of the constitution long ago and left honest citizens with no viable means of personal protection against the ever increasing number of maggots out there. The option is still there thanks to us and you make your choice as to how much you and your familys safety means to you. Cower in a corner, grab a 9 iron or have on hand the means to end a violent confrontation its up to you.

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:43 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

People need to remember that the Police are reactive. They can't protect you from criminals, they show up after the crime's committed. Catching the bad guys is good & necessary, but the crime still happened. You're still robbed, or raped, or dead.
A gun is a tool, nothing more. You should always use the proper tool. You can play golf with a ping pong paddle, but a set of clubs works a lot better. You can protect yourself & your family with a golf club, but the proper tool works a lot better. I pray every day that the only thing I ever use my handgun for is punching holes in paper targets. But it's comforting to know that it's there if I need it to protect myself & my wife.

If the second amendment goes away, Which amendment will be next, the first?
Once the door is opened..........

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:40 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: