FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Granholm & House Dems pushing for $8 billion hidden tax

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

By Nick, Section News
Posted on Wed Feb 27, 2008 at 07:11:59 AM EST

If Michigan is in a backwater and you've been captaining the ship for the last six years what does that say about your ability at the helm? I'm just asking.
Jennifer Granholm returned from Washington D.C. and decided it was time to get serious, for the first time since she was elected in 2002, about encouraging alternative energy production in Michigan. Apparently she's abandoned the carrot and stick method and gone exclusively to the stick. Criticize the State you're leading and then slap residents struggling to make ends meet under the yolk of your last $2.4 billion tax hike with a brand new record shattering $8 billion tax increase. That ought to clear up whatever ails us.

You can re-read that sentence if you want to but it's not going to change. The Governor is urging the Democrat House to move a package of bills initially discussed by the House Energy and Technology Committee back on January 23rd. The legislation, among other things, raises taxes on Michigan residents by eight-billion dollars, grants the State's two largest utilities uncontested monopolies and fails to set a single legitimate mandate or standard.

Under the House Democrat plan the utilities would be paid $8 billion in the form of a State mandated surcharge on all consumers and in exchange be asked to try to get to a point where they're producing 10% of their power via alternative and renewable energy. The key words are "try to." If they fail, eh, no biggie. They just have to show that they spent the fresh cash in some sort of attempt to reach that threshold. If they can show that costs went above and beyond, no biggie, they can stop. At least they tried.

And your impending tax hike breaks out like so... regular every day working people will pay an extra $36 a year for twenty years. Businesses will pay an extra $190 a year for twenty years. Industrial outfits will pay an extra $2,250 a year for twenty years. Add it all up and in 2028, if the legislature doesn't simply vote to keep the tax hike in perpetuity, they'll have swiped $8 billion from the Michigan economy.

Read on...

http://www.rightmichigan.com/story/2008/2/27/71159/1657

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Democrats never saw a tax increase they didnt love or a tax cut they did not hate. Very Happy
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:39 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I am a Demoncrat.....Smile I don't like the fact that they would be raising taxes, whether hidden or outright altogether. The taxbase isn't there!!!

MI unemployment rate Dec 2007
http://www.milmi.org/

According to this website we have the second highest rate of unemployment in the country, behind Puerto Rico? Do we count them, rhetorical? Smile
http://www.bls.gov/lau/

These are the unemployment rates by the counties:
http://www2.fdic.gov/recon/ovrpt.asp?CPT_CODE=E40&ST_CODE=26&RPT_TYPE=Tables

(Take into consideration the aforementioned the fiscal quarters and the tourism, like Mackinac County, (my second home) during the winter months.)

Interesting program stats for the State of Michigan (link to michigan.gov/.pdf file will take long to load on dialup)
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dhs/DHS-PUB-0170-2007_219125_7.pdf

I have been involved in food drives and clothes drives where I live in the 48439 zip code and the need is even strong "out here".

The foreclosure rates are astronomical:
http://absolutemichigan.com/homes/?articleid=2216

People are already pinching pennies so hard that Abe Lincoln has boogers coming out of his nose and/or he's screaming for pain killers.

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:56 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am an independent, in my opinion, neither party is worth a crap.

I retired in 2003, bought a house 2004 and my taxes have went up over $500.00 in 3 years.

If my taxes keep going up I will move back to North Carolina, where my property taxed have when up $100.00 in the last 14years or Austin Texas where there is no state taxes.

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:13 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
I am a Demoncrat..... I don't like the fact that they would be raising taxes,
Should have said the dem party leaders. Laughing

quote:
I am an independent, in my opinion, neither party is worth a crap.

Truer words were never spoken. Laughing
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:33 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Link

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:38 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Young, thin, pretty, and intelligent (not necessarily in that order!).

What more could we ask for?

I say let's draft her to be the next Governor of Michigan!!!
Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:53 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Young, thin, pretty, and intelligent

Het wait a minute I thought thats the resume the present Gov ran on. Very Happy

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:15 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: