FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: State of the City?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

What did Don have to say?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:13 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

He talked about the new devlopements and how we're "moving forward". I thought the speech was pretty good. Apparently we did make some progress with crime for last year and we are off to a good start with no murders this year. He also mentioned how he gets things done and gave various specific examples. I liked his points on accountability and he did mention how his name and number is in the phone book. He also mentioned the help Congressman Kildee has provided with grants and the city will be looking for more grants this year. Williamson emphasised cleaning streets and neighborhoods and apparently that really is a top priority for his administration.

I was also pretty impressed with his public speaking ability which I have heard a lot of negative things about. I have questions about his health but assume he will make it through this term.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=5973587 has some coverage.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:46 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Flint is superfantastic.
The Cheif is Superfantastic.
Adam Ford is Superfantastic.
The Budget is superfantastic.
We need a superfantastic tax increase.
The republician guard is superfantastic.
And it is superfantastic that someone actually believes anything he said!
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
bigmouthconservative
F L I N T O I D

Love it Ted!

Spin doctor Don!

The city is in shambles financially. Nobody but temps actually were laid off. All of the fat cat union bosses get raises, new cars and heavy equipment (ask Les Muma and his broter Sam about that).

Outsiders have absolutely no clue what goes on at city hall.

Adam cannot see things for what they are because he is an outsider. I work for the city, and yes I am posting this on city time!!! Razz
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:04 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Great post Ted.
But Adam forgot to mention the most important detail.

Was Don wearing a lapel pin?!?
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:22 pm 
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Flint is superfantastic.
The Cheif is Superfantastic.
Adam Ford is Superfantastic.
The Budget is superfantastic.
We need a superfantastic tax increase.
The republician guard is superfantastic.
And it is superfantastic that someone actually believes anything he said!

Look, I'm just going to put my two cents and not waste my time arguing about this, I simply don't have the time. The fact is, crime was down in 2007, and it is going down it looks in 2008, I just remember a couple of years ago when we had something like 10 homicides this time around. Downtown is making progress, the police department is run by a talented Interim Chief who works well with other agencies in fighting crime and securing grant money. The speech was good, I was impressed and the Mayor's uses of "super fantastic" and "a million percent" were charming. This city is moving forward and your negativity is doing nothing to move it forward. On a final note, it was very disrespectful the way Council President Sims behaved during the speech, rolling her eyes, not rising for prayer or even when the mayor walked in, you don't have to like the man, but respect the office.

The fact is, I am a city hall insider too , I've interned in the Mayor's Office, I've listened to the Mercede's kitchen conversation and I've interned with Trachelle, Brenda and Daniel Klempter. Some might say, well who are you then? I'm a minor, and I have been active or around city, county, state and national politics and figures my whole life.

Last edited by Pachuco on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:36 pm 
last time here

good job pachuco............
it's actually nice to see someone on the inside with a positive attitude.

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:50 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
bigmouthconservative schreef:
Love it Ted!

Spin doctor Don!

The city is in shambles financially. Nobody but temps actually were laid off. All of the fat cat union bosses get raises, new cars and heavy equipment (ask Les Muma and his broter Sam about that).

Adam cannot see things for what they are because he is an outsider. I work for the city, and yes I am posting this on city time!!! Razz

How many people were laid off? Are you in the budget department? How big do you think the deficit is? From what I hear from GM it is always union bosses that get special treatment. I don't see how Don can accept the blame for the union bosses.

Feel free to give some details. The mayor gave his and I'll definately read yours.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:49 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

My favorite moment was the singling out of his staff, making them stand up individually for public humiliation, scapegoating and/or praise. Finance Director Peter Dobrzeniecki got all three. Paraphrasing:

"Where's Peter D? Stand up."

"Peter D is the only person in my administration who can get away with saying one thing one day and the opposite thing the next – and have both be true."

If we assume the Don is referring to having a surplus one day, then - after some emergency spending and budget ignoring – being a few million in the whole the next, he's absolutely right.

"Peter D. You're the person who everybody says, 'doesn't know what he's doing.'"

Peter D doesn't spend the money. He counts it. And according to his count, the mayor is the one who doesn't know what he's doing.

PS: Pachuco, congratulations on your internships and lunch with Mercedes. Priceless education if you take the right notes. Maybe if your internships and pandering lead to an actual job (will you work for minimum wage?), you can propose a post-State of City Q&A session instead of a prayer.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:46 pm 
insider
F L I N T O I D

Let's pretend the Mayor is doing a great job, well ok, let's not get carried away, a good job. Why does he have to be so angry? I really think he could have been a GREAT mayor had he come in and just handled things a little different. Why all the lawsuits? That is really crazy how much he has cost the city, and most if not all for stupid stuff that he knew he was wrong and would lose a lawsuit.

Wonder what would have happened had he come in to his new position, and instead of accusing all his employees of being criminals (which ironically if they really are criminals he loves to give second chances to them)and incompetent, he comes in and uses all that money of his and has some moral building days, offers city employees discounts on cars, offers to build a gym in city hall where people can get a work out or walk in during lunch (instead of banning them from walking outside) etc. Yes there are some slackers that work at city hall, but guess what, we already knew that. So instead of coming in and going nuts with ridiculous rules, why not get rid of people who are screw ups (hint: union stop protecting idiots, though they are the only ones who get their dues worth)?

Yes, he has accomplished some things. For me, the end doesn't justify the means. He could have accomplished everything he has, and way more, had he gone about it differently.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:10 pm 
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

Public D: In all fairness it was a bit of humor and I believe everyone in the audience new. I found it funny lol I didnt know old men could be funny.

P.S. Public D what are you asking? Have I held a job or are you offering one?
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:42 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Just a few high(low)lights from the 6/30/07 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report:

1. General Fund Net Change in Fund Balance: $(2,563,560)

I thought The Don always balanced the budget?

2. Page 84...Historical Pension Benefit Obligation Funding:

2000 99.25%
2001 101.65%
2002 91.20%
2003 83.80%
2004 82.68%
2005 79.59%

The unfunded pension liability has grown from $6.6 million in 2000 to $201 million in 2005.

http://www.cityofflint.com/finance/CAFR/2007CAFR/2007CAFR.pdf
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:32 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Pachuco: The problem is that too many 'city hall insiders' think bankrupting the city then asking the citizens to foot the bill is 'funny.' And no, I won't be hiring any time soon. Have to budget to buy the Mayor some more, um, cops and fire trucks?
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:06 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Looks like we'll have to protect ourselves even more than we do now.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

There's nothing charming about that cro-magnon we call a mayor.

I love how one of the only things he supposedly had going for him is now gone. What does he have to offer exactly?

Oh right, he knows how to work with "the system" to get things done.

Pfffffffffft. Whatever.
Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:55 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: