FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: The End of Conservatism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:
Hey, that's really sweet Dave, thanks!

I've never condoned what ELF does, but you are missing a larger point here, I think. It's not the BUILDING itself. From what I've read about ELF in the past, the biggest of their issues is sprawl -- mowing down wetlands, chopping down forests, etc.

The only point I've made about their methods is that it seems to me they must feel very powerless to resort to those tactics. I think it's that same kind of disenfranchisement that set off Timothy McVeigh.

I don't have any "right" to tell anyone to do anything. That doesn't mean I can't condemn the way some people spend their money as immoral. I don't believe in shopping at Wal-Mart, just like I don't believe in building McMansions. Hell, I could give you a huge list of things that I think are ridiculous, immoral and irresponsible ways to spend money. One of my pet peeves is the diamond engagement ring, but that's a whole other diatribe.

Given my morning, I wanted to bring up one other topic that we've tangled about in the past: universal health care. This morning, I went to the ER because I was having horrible abdominal pain, and guess what? They couldn't see me for 5 hours. They were actually turning away ambulances. Why, you ask? All the uninsured waiting to get "free" care for their cold or flu. So others NOT having insurance does affect our care, too. My dad made that very astute observation.

Since you're posting, I'm assuming everything's ok. Did they find anything?
It happens a lot. When I took our daughter to Hurley when she broke her leg, she waited 3 hours to see a Doctor. Sometimes I wonder just how well their triage system works.

Torching someone's house for any reason is wrong. That said, I'm really not a fan of sprawl, or McMansions. I had coworkers that built 4,000 square foot "retirement" homes after all their kids moved out! Also, I could never figure out people buying houses 30+ miles from where they work. How much of their paycheck goes for gas? I live in a 1300 square foot house built in 1917, in the "Ghetto" part of Flint. It's 2 1/2 miles from where I worked. I have what they do - shelter from the elements and a place for my stuff. I also have WAY lower property taxes, and when i was working, a lot lower gas bill every week. I also have neighbors I know & like. Some of those other people didn't even know their neighbors' names.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I admire and agree with your philosophy about housing.

I never got in to see them, so I guess I'm alright. I probably need an ultrasound, but I'll go back tomorrow or maybe I can find a gynie.

I called every hospital around, and it's the same all over -- no beds, long waits. I figure, if I'm going to sit in pain and misery for 4 or 5 hours, I might as well do it somewhere else.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:28 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Its good you two agree on the same philosphy when it comes to whats an appropriate house and who is happy with what and where. Lots of folks tend to disagree with you. Very Happy

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:05 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Only money grubbers who'd like to think of themselves and the new captains of industry. All hail the bourgies.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:02 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Only money grubbers
Laughing Laughing Laughing That pesky Class envy shows up again. Whens the last time you searched for a job that paid less than your last one or turned down a raise cause you felt it would relieve any "money grubbing" guilt you thought you possesed?

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:35 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I took a 50% pay cut to return to this state so I could be closer to my family.

Does that qualify?

Look, everyone *needs* money, that's not my issue. My issue is conspicuous consumption -- let me show off how important I am because I have money to burn! People will like and respect me because I live in a big, new house!

Do you see my distinction? I don't believe in Prada handbags and Manolo shoes or actually the "fashion world" writ large. With those things, it's not just a matter of looking nice or professional, it's that you want to show the world how important you are because YOU own a pair of Manolos!
Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:27 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Who can see the Manolo shoes when they're buried. People that define themselves by their possessions, the college they attended, or their "status" are pathetic. Who will be remembered longer, Leona Helmsley, or MLK?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Leona who?
Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:30 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Leona "Only the little people pay taxes" Helmsley.
Helmsley Hotels. She said that in front of her maid, who got pissed & turned her in to the IRS.

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:23 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Indeed, Dave. Indeed.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:22 pm 
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

Big houses ? Money to burn ? Prada handbags ?

The Rev Billy Graham once said " you can't take materiel things with you, when was the last time you saw a u-haul following a hearse ?".

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:39 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: