FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Democratic Central Committee meeting in Flint, 11 a.m. Sat.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Flint to host Democrats as sticky issue about delegates continues
Posted by Beata Mostafavi | The Flint Journal February 21, 2008 19:05PM
Categories: Community - Genesee County, Community: Flint, Politics

FLINT, MI -- As the prickly question lingers about whether Michigan delegates will be seated at the Democratic National Convention, members of the state's Democratic Party are coming to Flint.

And when the state's Democratic Central Committee gets to the UAW Local 599 for a regular meeting, members will be greeted by a group of Barack Obama supporters.

Local Obama fans will rally before the 11 a.m. meeting armed with signs that read "Follow the rules" and a passionate plea -- don't give Hillary Rodham Clinton 60 percent of Michigan's Democratic delegates.

"The Democratic party's rules said that no one should have their name on the ballot in Michigan," said former state Rep. Floyd Clack, coordinator of "Genesee County for Obama."

"Obama took his name off but Hillary left hers on. Everyone else was following the rules. When someone doesn't follow the rules, you can't reward them."

The pseudo protest comes two weeks after the state's Democratic Party announced that Clinton would get 73 of the 156 delegates if the party's state's delegates attended the convention.

Fifty-five delegates would be officially uncommitted.

But Clack is still asking Obama supporters to attend and take a stand against what he says is an unfair disadvantage to Obama in a tight race.

The efforts have baffled some Clinton supporters.

"The delegates need to be allocated according to adopted party rules. Any other suggestion is self-aggrandizing," said Clinton backer and former Flint mayoral candidate Dayne Walling.

"The question would be on what grounds could an alternative decision be made?"

He said Obama chose to take his name off the ballot and his supporters should instead protest at his headquarters.

"This is a historic and unusual situation but every group needs to abide by the letter and sprit of the law," he said.

But Walling was happy to see Flint playing host to the state's central committee meeting, which he said is a good way for "Flint to be on the political map."

Most major Democratic candidates, including Obama and John Edwards, withdrew their names from the ballot because of the controversial decision to hold an early primary, breaking convention rules.

That left the former first lady as the only viable Democratic candidate on the ballot.

Clack said Obama's Michigan supporters felt disenfranchised because they couldn't vote for him. While unlikely, Clack wants to see a compromise, such as Obama and Clinton each taking 50 percent of delegates.

"It's just a reminder that we are watching and we don't want them to do anything that's unfair and against DNC rules," he said of Saturday's rally, which likely won't include any public comments to the central committee.

"The race is too tight, and that could be the difference."

The party's state central committee rotates between different locations to meet every year. This weekend's meeting will include discussions and training on how to run the Congressional district conventions.

Central committee members could not be reached for comment.

Permalink:
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2008/02/flint_to_host_democrats_as_sti.html
Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:23 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Why do the words prickly, sticky and Clinton all in the same article seem to ring a bell? Laughing Laughing
Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:12 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Just making sure the anointed one gets her crown.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: