FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: montana threatens cessation (quit the U.S.)!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Miles Davis, I have this stuck away in some old LPs. Want to get in a mellow or depressed mood depending on your definition listen to this. Laughing
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:23 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

2 tap I have a new found respect for you.

Arguably the best record ever produced. It never leaves my Bose wave radio.

Just between me and you. You really don't mean all that crazy stuff you say do you?

Smile
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:30 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

What crazy stuff ???? Confused How about, Jamal at the Pershing, Brubecks Take 5, and An hour with the Ramsey Lewis trio. They are in that old vinyl pile somewhere. Laughing Music calms the savage beast and right wing whackos too. Although nowdays I will mix a cd with some Nora Jones followed by a little AC DC. I may be the only guy around with a bose system in my garage.Laughing Laughing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RIzxPKxH2Y
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:15 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Ok here's one for you. Thelonious Sphere Monk. Best song names ever (Straight No Chaser, Round Midnight, Trinkle Tinkle, this one is Epistrophy) and a heck of a stylish guy. I wish I could dress like that and get away with it.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2s6LZUdYaU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2s6LZUdYaU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Ever since the kids came on the scene I've listened to The Wiggles more than anything else. I'm going to the basement today, were turning off the TV amd were all going to listen to some real music today.
Thanks 2 tap.

By the way I loved the Flint Jazz Festival. I remember seeing Paul Chambers and McCoy Tyner. (1/2 of Coltrane's stellar quartet) I remember how hard Joe Freyre worked at it. Also saw Joe Henderson at the Fox and Maceo Parker in Ann Arbor and The Godfather of Soul at Whiting. Gave me chills.
Sorry about highjacking this post with Jazz Talk.
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:46 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Apparently that link didn't work. Sorry.
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:47 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Link
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:54 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

not a teacher

did that. see above
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:59 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

When you bring up the youtube page copy the http address at the top of your screen not on the youtube page.
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:01 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

That url after this is it screwed ya up.
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:06 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2s6LZUdYaU

or this
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:06 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Yup there ya go. Laughing
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:07 pm 
tricky mutha
F L I N T O I D

Someone I have always liked is Eric Dolphy- he was a triple threat (alto sax, flute and clarinet). At times Dolphy could be frantic but his lyrical moments are real goose flesh listening. Recordings I suggest are: Outward Bound; The Quest; and Far Cry. All were issued on vinyl by Prestige in the 1970's but should be out somewhere on CD, I doubt Pete Flanders has them in stock.

Guitarist Vic Juris has a tribute album to Dolphy, and in six degrees of seperation fashion Mr. Zappa pays homage to him with "The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue".

Good, and well known recordings by Coltrane are: Blue Train, My Favorite Things and Ballads. Miles has Birth of the Cool and Bitches Brew. Finally, there is an excellent tribute LP to Monk called "The WAy I Feel Tonight" with covers by Todd Rundgren, NRBQ, Joe Jackson and many others.

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:04 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Dolphy and Coltrane are two great recomendations. Two great books if your interestred. Dolphy is amazing on the flute. They say he used to sit outside with his flute and imitate the birds for practice. I also read that Miles and Dizzy G were able to identify the notes that a squeaky door would make as it swung. That bebop era had some of the most amazing artists. I see some of todays pop and rap stars calling themselves artists and just shake my head. Guess I'm getting old.
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:56 pm 
tricky mutha
F L I N T O I D

Thank you Squash- I was lucky enough to have a father who loved jazz, and a roommate later who had a superb collection of be-bop jazz and blues. Coupled with the British Invasion and some of the better late 1970 -early 1980 "punk" movement I have more than enough music to listen to over and over again. It is also good to know that when the strains of Dolphy, Monk, Coltrane, et al, come out of my basement there are fellow Flintoids that appreciate it!

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:04 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: