FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Al Sharpton apparently hates Michigan

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Link

Al Sharpton apparently hates Michigan and I don't know if I'll ever recover. Guess it's not as bad as having Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama hate Michigan, though. Or Howard Dean. Or the whole DNC

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

To answer her last question NO. Laughing Laughing

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:14 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The DNC ruled that Michigan's delegates would not be seated for violating their rules concerning primary dates. Hillary is slipping, and now wants them seated. I'm with Al on this one; the DNC has to abide by their ruling and not favor one candidate over another. Hillary will do anything to get the nomination. The convention could get brutal.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I would put nothing and I mean nothing past the Clintons and their grasp at the whitehouse. After all it was her title to the throne. Obama had better stay on his toes. I never thought I would agree with anything that Tawana Brawleys chief supporter ever muttered but he may have a point here. Laughing

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:11 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I don't think Sharpton hates Michigan at all. I couldn't watch the video you posted above but when I read about his comments a few days ago, my thought was immediate--somebody ought to clue Sharpton in on what Michigan Dems did to disinfranchise our own voters. They changed the primary law; we were told our votes wouldn't count because of DNC ruling; candidates names weren't on the ballot, Hillary left hers on; then Michigan dems encouraged us to vote "uncommitted." Michigan Dems screwed us over by not following DNC rules, and told us to vote anyway, they're the ones responsible for the fiasco.

I agreed Michigan delegates shouldn't be seated at national convention, but not exactly for the same reasons Sharpton gave. I'm in favor of a do-over, either by caucus or second primary. Love Heller's bottom line:

Michigan dems deserve a do-over
Posted by aheller February 15, 2008 16:37PM

"So you wanna be my president ..." is Flint Journal columnist Andrew Heller's ongoing blog about the insanity that is the 2008 presidential election.

Hey, Michigan voters, anyone else suddenly feel the urge to tell Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton (and the Democratic National Committee, and the state Democratic Party, and ...) to kiss our mitten-shaped petoots? All of a sudden, Michigan and Florida are THE hot states in the Democratic campaign, with party insiders arguing over what role, if any, our currently banned delegates may or may not have at the August convention.

The reason, of course, is the unexpectedly close race, plus a looming worry that enough Michigan dems will be mad enough about the primary debacle to either stay home in November or (gasp!) even turn a blue state red. (God forbid.)

Man, this is delish. Suddenly, Hillary Clinton, who left her name on the ballot but didn't campaign here, is demanding Michigan delegates be seated at the national convention. (Hey, Hill, where were you months ago when the punishment was being doled out?)

And Barack Obama, who took his name off the Michigan ballot, just as suddenly is an advocate for a do-over election. (Gee, I wonder why?)

In the middle -- us, the currently disenfranchised Democratic voters of Michigan.

It's tempting, honestly, to dismiss the idea of a do-over or an invitation by the party's paternal bosses to sit at the convention. Hey, if we weren't good enough for ya before ...

But the November election is too important for that. If a do-over option is offered, Michigan dems ought to embrace it, even if they're Hillary fans, on grounds that the January election was a fraud and that Michigan voters deserve an actual choice and an actual voice at the convention in August.
---
Permalink:
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/aheller/2008/02/michigan_dems_deserve_a_doover.html
Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:25 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Who foots the bill for the latest Democrat folly?

quote:
even turn a blue state red.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
I see their is an advisory out for all Texas repubs to vote for Obama and help screw things up even more for Elslickos old lady. Laughing Laughing

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:53 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

And a different opinion...

Stick by votes
Mich., Fla. must keep to their primary goals

FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Friday, February 15, 2008

Roughly 2.3 million Democratic voters participated in the Michigan and Florida primaries last month, and the results of those lawful elections should stand whether the party's national leaders accept them or not.

In other words, no do-overs, no mulligans, no second chances for Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama, which has been suggested as a way to seat the two states' delegates at the Democratic National Convention in August.

As of now, those votes, Jan. 15 in Michigan and Jan. 29 in Florida, are considered renegade contests because they were held earlier than Democratic National Committee rules allowed. As a result, the DNC stripped both states of their delegates - meaning no say for either in who the party nominates for president this year.

Those consequences, assuming they remain in place, are no surprise as the DNC warned this would happen if Michigan and Florida didn't get back in line. However, it was worth the risk of these sanctions to challenge an unfair presidential nominating process that lets Iowa and New Hampshire lead off every four years. Such placement gives their voters a bigger say in who is elected to the world's most powerful office.

Granted, few envisioned the tight race Clinton and Obama are waging, which potentially puts huge value on the Michigan and Florida delegates - if they are seated. That's what Clinton wants, having won both primaries, but Obama naturally is opposed. Neither candidate campaigned in either state, and Obama even withdrew his name from the Michigan ballot, which he thought was good strategy at the time.

While the closeness of the contest puts urgency to the question of the two states' delegates, Michigan and Florida shouldn't provide an easy solution by holding new contests to satisfy DNC rules. They should stay true to their motives for staging their insurrection, which is to fundamentally change the nominating process for president. And that always anticipated a possible showdown with party leaders, to force them to seat the pair's delegates at the national convention in Denver.

Whether these delegates will prove decisive or inconsequential - which depends on the outcomes of the remaining primaries and caucuses - Michigan and Florida should stay the course they began with noble purpose. While the stakes have gotten higher and the situation stickier, the main goal remains the same.

Source:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1203087011308100.xml&coll=5
Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:56 pm 
last time here

i'd have to agree with dave and al on this one. the lady on youtube
was "lost in space" with her argument. i'm also sure al knows darn well
the story with the michigan ballots. his concern is that hillary will take
them all. both hillary and barak agreed to bypass michigan thanks to
certain individuals in the state moving the primary.. ms.hillary "forgot"
to take her name from the ballot.. i'll tell ya. she's made a few tactical
mistakes during this thing.......she's making herself look less than
honorable.....(i know 2tap loves this) Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

my question is: with florida being a bush state, whats the upcoming
trick there?? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:30 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I just saw on the news that a redo in Fla will cost 9,000,000 so ya gota to assume it will be around that figure in MI. You Democrats sure have a time getting thru an election process. This is even more entertaining than Hangingchads. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:18 pm 
last time here

man oh man...us "good guys" just can't catch a break with 2tap & FC!

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:35 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: