FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint mayor threatens to take county land bank to court
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
last time here

ted please. what makes you think your solution is the only fix?
what makes you think everyone else has no clue?
what makes you think we are doing nothing right now to help flint?

how much mentoring do you do to teens in your neighborhood?
when is the last time you cut a seniors grass in your neighborhood?
when is the last time you fixed something on your neighbors house?
when is the last time you were called to help your senior neighbor get up off the floor because they simply collapsed?
how many times have you volunteered to be a pallbearer at a
funeral of a senior because they had no one else?

if you've done any of the above for your neighbors, good for you.

action has always spoken louder than words. Speak to the hand Speak to the hand Speak to the hand Speak to the hand Speak to the hand

Post Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:48 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Oh, come on, LTH. People serve the community in different ways, they do what they are able, and some have special talents they contribute not necessarily in their immediate neighborhoods, but to the entire community as Ted does. He enjoys research, and he produces programs that anyone watching cable TV can watch and learn from.
Post Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:50 pm 
last time here

well good for ted double oh....that doesn't give him a right
to say anyone elses beliefs are wrong. i understand what he
does and why he does it, but people do things different ways
and i ain't gonna take his condescending comments.. do you
understand where i'm coming from double oh?

Post Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:51 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
do you understand where i'm coming from double oh?
Yes I do, LTH. After awhile you become familiar enough with repeated expressions you no longer take them personally. Smile
Post Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:52 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
well good for ted double oh....that doesn't give him a right
to say anyone elses beliefs are wrong. i understand what he
does and why he does it, but people do things different ways
and i ain't gonna take his condescending comments.. do you
understand where i'm coming from double oh?

I never said everyones ideas were wrong. Only dump ones that haven't been thoguht through more than a feeling they had during thier last meal.

Everything, I've said is NOT MY IDEAS. They are things other communitys and community leaders have done and guess what. IT WORKED! I only try to put all that together in a logical process. Because while much of thier ideas while they worked. Could have been better had they tackled more than just one area.

Listen to the Judges, Listen to Mayors, Listen to the people that have made a difference. Listening to the pitiful whiners that think because people are poor or unemployed they can't help themselves from beating and raping old ladies or selling drugs on the street corner. Those are the ones I don't understand.

I don't have the time I used to when I had a 40 hour a week job. Now it's 60 hours a week. And stilll barely make ends meet.

See what I see that has happened here. Is that you realise your defense is compeltely illogical. But, rather than change. You would prefer to continue to attack on a personal level. Before you just had silly ideas that we never thoguht trough past your morning bowl of cereal.

What I do for my nieghbors, my family is really none of your business! Typical of liberal. Point to something and make an inference that you know my character will not respond to in order to try undermind my character. Your a sad individual. I don't and won't prop myself up as better than you based on what I do for others. It's none of your BUSINESS! But, we can discuss ideas, problems and solutions. If you have them. I prefer to have people poke holes in my ideas so I can better revise the idea or process to make it better. You just like to feel that you have a good idea and good intentions. Doesn't matter if it actually works. Your intentions make you feel better about yourself.

I became condensending when you annouced in so many words that you were not going to do any research, or actually read the whole story or bother to read anything that may show your point of view may be completely wrong. Your just acting off your feelings. THus it doesn't surprise me that you are attempting to create an image as to my character by running a list of what you feel would justify yourself. So please. Continue. It only proves how low your character is and how your willing to dream stuff up to distract from the subject at hand. THe funniest part of the whole situation is. That everything you've accused me of doing. The name calling, etc. I only used that which opened up to be used. Your the one said you didn't really care what anyone else thinks. I didn't say that.

I want people to check out what research I've done. I learned some new things from the Interveiw with Dan Kildee. I learned a whole lot more about the City Budget in just the last month. I learned even more about the takeover. What I was pretty sure I was right about with the take over. I recently discovered I was even more correct than I really understood. Occaisionally. I am wrong. But, it is usually early in my research. Before I start dicussing it with others.

Case in POint. I used to believe that poverty and unemployment actually were causes of increased crime. I was blown away when I found out. I was compeltely wrong. I found out that out crime rate actually follows close to Flint Drop out/gaduation rates. But, I won't bore you with that. I can go for hours on that. I couldn't get over how many areas in the country. Proved my original thesis so wrong. What amazes me is that there are people that even when there is overwhelming evidence to prove it wrong. Will still when provided with the documentaion. Still say the facts are wrong because they refuse to believe it. It's america. You don't have to beleive anything. It's a free country. People can live in ignorance if they want to. That doesn't prohibit others from wanted to get the truth out.
Post Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

It's nice to know that someone has all the answers.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

It is nice to know that there are people out there with the answers!

BUt, if no one here in this area listens or tries what has been tried before and worked. How do you know it won't work here.

Flint seems to be stuck in a rut! Things that have worked all over the country. People say won't work here. Yet they refue to try. Or they try something half hearted and then jump up and down and say it didn't work. When they never really tried it completely.

I don't always have all the answers. BUt I am smart enough to research the problem and analize it! Formulate a plan to fix it. Based on what has worked. Not on ideas that have never been tried or have been tried and didn't work.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
last time here

all right double oh....

please help me take my foot out of my mouth!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:35 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
please help me take my foot out of my mouth!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ted wrote: "But, we can discuss ideas, problems and solutions. If you have them. I prefer to have people poke holes in my ideas so I can better revise the idea or process to make it better." This is a positive we should all strive for. Why don't you two just shake and make up! Smile
Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:43 pm 
last time here

o.k. peacemaker..................... Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:03 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Ted, how will reducing the number of police officers reduce crime? When you arrest all the criminals, where will you put them? The County jail is full & the City lockup can only hold so many, and only for a limited time.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Dave, you are correct in the direction you are going. Let me rephrase the first part. How will hiring more cops reduce crime if we have no place to put them?

Same question from the oppisite side.

The answer is still the same. We need to have a place to put these criminals. But, flint and genesse county has been reluctant to do so citing silly arguements about poverty and unemployment causing the crime. Therefore they don't want to incarserate criminals because of our living/social conditions.

Criminals are criminals no matter what their employment or poverty status.

The evidence is simple. Crime was on a downward trend for 14 years prior to the Mayor taking over. During that time. Poverty has remained at 32 inching up to 33 in 2002. Not reported as 33 until 2005. Unemployement in Flint was at its highest. was back in 1999/2000 at 14 and 16 percent (I'm not at home and I cannot find my chart but 1999/2000 crime actually had pretty sizable drops 10 and 20 percent (not adjusted for population). Now in 2003 Flint had the least amount of Police officers it had in years and we saw a 15 percent drop in Crime. For the next three years with nothing changing except the leadership of the City and Police department and the Mayor hired 50 MORE OFFICERS. and Crime Went up (just by the numbers 50 percent. Not adjusted for population). The Mayor in 2007 opened the City Jail hired another 12 officers and crime started dropping like a avalanche. Still not back down to the level it was before he took over. But it does prove that even with piss poor leadership you can lower crime if you stop handing out tickets over and over for the same thing and start arresting and putting in jail the criminal.

So the Major issue is needing a place to house the Criminal.

The whole solution is even more involved. 1st we need to look at the social status of the average criminal in Flint. 15 - 21 with no education, no job and living in poverty. For the most part. With an education you can find a job. With an education and can work your way out of poverty. Without an education. Both conditions are damn hard to get yoruself out of. But once you fix the education level. Get kids out of highschool and into college. There chances of ending up in the judicial system drop drastically. (except for maybe the occasional college party disturbance.)

This 2nd part of the solution will eventually solve the need for a place to house as many criminals as we have in Flint.

The worst part of the judical system is what we do to poeple that end up in the system. Decide they do want to change thier lives around but now hold a stigma of a felony record when applying for a job. We need a system that educates and helps young people move up.

There's a lot more evidence I could present. But, the ideas should be clear enough. Obviously the number of officers has little if any affect on crime. City's with twice as many residents have half as many officers. Go figure!
I'll bet those city's have much higher graduation rates than Flint's 33 percent graduation/67 percent drop out.

The whole issue is multi facetted. THere is even a little more to than what I've mentioned here. But, this is really the main overveiw and should be enough for logical discussion. I'd welcome well thoguht out ideas. Not, silly meanlingless sound bites that have been spouted from the likes of Josyln Elders and other idiot's of accedamia. Comments with some meat and potatoes. The cotton candy politics is killing this area.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:14 pm 
last time here

hmmmmm..i can't recall a judge allowing a criminal to walk free because they were jobless or the recipient of a less than favorable upbringing.

i would disagree that judges in flint consider the economic status of
a criminal when sentencing them.

who was the flint or county judge that did or does what you claim?

i do agree that the stigma of a felony reduces the person's chance at
receiving a decent future although i know people who have gotten past
that and done quite well in life.

so your saying:
1.schools need improvement.
2.need more jail space.
3.laws regarding ex-felons need to be tweaked.
4.flint police need better leadership. Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool right??

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:39 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
hmmmmm..i can't recall a judge allowing a criminal to walk free because they were jobless or the recipient of a less than favorable upbringing.

You really cannot see the forest for the trees can you? Who even suggested that? I didn’t, Dave Didn’t.? Where did you dream that up?

quote:
last time here schreef:
i would disagree that judges in flint consider the economic status ofa criminal when sentencing them.
Who are you disagreeing with? I don’t’ see where anyone even suggested such a thing?

quote:
last time here schreef:
who was the flint or county judge that did or does what you claim?

Please, try rereading what has been written? Do you even read the Flint Journal, or go to any of the Community meetings, City Council, watch the News, watch TV17? I am sure what I’m referring to is pretty obvious, you don’t have to look too hard to see it. What are you talking about anyway? Are you trying to make a point that you can completely twist everything I said into something completely unrecognizable of anything I ever said? Feel free to post my words in a quote and show me what you’re talking about? I’d be glad to clarify it for you.

But, I honestly cannot see how you can disagree with something that wasn’t even discussed. But, now that you have mentioned “what Judge has said that.’ I’m pretty sure all have expressed regret and apprehension as to having to sentence many of these young people for the decisions they’ve made. And I know that all of these judges have cut some of these young men a break in the hopes that with some counseling and agreements to return to school, would keep them from returning to their court rooms.

Now could that be defined as considering their “less than favorable upbringing” or “their economic status”? While I never even alluded to that idea, there is considerable consideration given to some of these young people. With some (ok more than should be) influence given, because of there not being enough space to house them in the system. Ever heard of alternative sentencing?

quote:
last time here schreef:

i do agree that the stigma of a felony reduces the person's chance at
receiving a decent future although i know people who have gotten past
that and done quite well in life.

And yes it is possible. But, wouldn’t it make more sense to help point our youth in the right direction earlier in LIFE? Help to encourage them to stay in school and get an education? So they don’t have to spend 6 to 10 in prison for dealing drugs or knocking off the corner market? Judge Marable has a pretty good program, Council woman Poplar has a pretty good program, then there is the mentoring programs that do help, after school programs, the boy scouts, clubs, block clubs. There is no one answer, and no one complete solution. However, we lack good stop gap measures. For the hard heads that more than average attention. Flint has an over abundance of them too. Which no one even wants to discuss or discuss the solutions that will work.

quote:
last time here schreef:

so your saying:
1.schools need improvement.
2.need more jail space.
3.laws regarding ex-felons need to be tweaked.
4.flint police need better leadership. Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool right??

WOW, how you ended up understanding this, yet missed everything else, I’ll never be able to figure out where your coming from. You started out making 3 points that were not even talked about or discussed previously. Then ended up figuring it out, almost to a tee, a pretty decent summary of what I actually said. Where did that first part come? Talk about creditability. Try attributing something I or someone else said or implied, to something they actually said or implied. It’s one thing to be ignorant of understanding. It’s another to just plain be ignorant! It would help cut out completely the sarcasim in responses.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:04 am 
last time here

reference your post:

your lines 4, 5, 6, 7.

reading your posts are like reading the national enquirer. get past
the wasted words and fluff, theres a story in there somewhere. Cool Cool Cool

yeah, i'd love you to run for mayor Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:03 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: