FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Josh!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
last time here

WHOA.....i see josh and city council are attempting to MAKE the mayor name a police chief!!!!! ted, you in on this?? Shocked Shocked

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:42 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

What do you think? Very Happy

Of Course!
Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Not just this Mayor, but all future Mayors too.

Not just Ted either. A pretty large diverse group was/is involved in this process.
Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
sonofsteve
F L I N T O I D

Josh needs to go back to his families business and move out of flint.
Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:23 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Why, exactly?

Flint needs an informed skeptic.
Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:49 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
sonofsteve schreef:
Josh needs to go back to his families business and move out of flint.

Probably couldn't sell my house for what it is worth, with the crime rate being what it is.
Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
last time here

actually, i see theres somewhat of a movement going on to discredit
or "pressure" the current administration. reviewing the agendas of
council meetings i see things being set-up for future fire. i had hoped
the bickering was done but.............it's gonna get ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:55 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

What specifically are you talking about LTH?
Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:08 pm 
last time here

pass. Cool Sad Cool Sad

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:10 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

At the meeting the block clubs have on Tuesdays at the North Side ministation, Carolyn showed up. she brought copies of the ordinance relating to landlords piling trash at the curb when they evict someone, which was appreciated. She also got into the Mayor forbidding the Council from contacting anyone in the administration without going through him. She also said that she was aware of the meetings for a while, but didn't know she was welcome. David Dicks took issue with her comments about the Mayor. Things got heated for a while, but calmed down. It was pointed out by several people that we're there to find ways to make our neighborhoods better, not engage in politics.

personally, I wish people would knock off the political crap & get on with the business of turning this city around.

Arnold Brown from trash collection was there & had good information for us. Carolyn had to mention that she hoped Don wouldn't fire him for coming to the meeting. Politics again.

Also present was the treasurer of the Land Bank, who explained the process of disposing of the properties they own.

Delrico Loyd was there too, & impressed everyone there. Hope he doesn't burn out.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Carolyn should attend more block club/watch meetings and listen to constituents when they say they want the B.S. to stop!
Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:12 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

That would be a plus. She can't attend ours because they're on Thursdays and she has classes then. To her credit, when we had our cleanup last summer, she helped load the trucks.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

You all seem to be saying you wish the politics and bickering would stop. It's pretty simple. But many still blame it on the wrong source.

Call the mayor and tell him to work with Council. It's that simple.
Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Chief's status
Being only 'interim' not hurting Hagler or Flint
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Flint has many problems bordering on crises that the City Council might fruitfully pursue. But the lack of a permanent police chief is not one of them.

While on principle, council members are right to insist that Mayor Don Williamson is violating the spirit of the city's governing document - the City Charter - in keeping Gary Hagler as "interim chief" for three years, there is no practical harm stemming from this arrangement.

On the contrary, Hagler appears to be functioning at a high level though armed with a less-than-adequate number of officers. Most objective observers would rank him among Williamson's best administrators, an assessment the mayor clearly shares.

Therefore, despite the technical argument council members make in regularly raising Hagler's interim status - one he prefers for job security reasons - this soap opera is unlikely to take a turn to the council's satisfaction.

Yet council members refuse to give up, recently voting 6-to-2 on an ordinance that would force Williamson to name a "permanent" chief - a move the confrontational mayor finds more amusing than threatening.

Even assuming that this pending law could force Williamson to comply with the council's wishes, there is little doubt the mayor would keep Hagler in charge via a new maneuver. A ceremonial appointment is one option, which might have taxpayers supporting two chiefs rather than one.

Such an expense is nothing Flint can afford with a recent auditor's report revealing that the city budget, once thought healthy, is devoid of reserves. Now this is an area requiring council vigilance. There also are economic development matters that may need support and omnipresent neighborhood problems that must be addressed.One of those, of course, is crime, source of so much of Flint's reputation. And on that score, things have been improving, for which Hagler deserves some credit.

Consider, for example, the federal and state help targeted on some of the city's most vicious criminals, resulting in the breakup of a large gang last year. For the first half of 2007, the FBI reported a drop in Flint violence, and the city closed out the year with homicides down by nearly half.

Whether the decline in violence continues, Hagler has demonstrated that he's more qualified in his role than some others are in running key city offices, a few of whom the council has reviewed and confirmed.

So from what wellspring come the steady cries that Flint crime suppression is hampered by Hagler's nonpermanency?

Keith Speer, president of the main police union - which has been no supporter of Hagler or the mayor - says the chief's interim status hasn't reduced his authority over those he commands. Tellingly, Speer observes that there are "bigger fish to fry" than this issue, which seems to be veiled advice the council should take.
Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:04 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
You all seem to be saying you wish the politics and bickering would stop. It's pretty simple. But many still blame it on the wrong source.

Call the mayor and tell him to work with Council. It's that simple.

How about asking the council the same thing. It's a 2 way street.

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:39 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: