FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: This aint the way it was supposed to be

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

WASHINGTON - Sen. Barack Obama won caucuses in Nebraska and Washington state and moved ahead in the Louisiana primary Saturday night, slicing into Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's slender delegate lead in their historic race for the Democratic presidential nomination. Laughing
Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:01 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Uh-oh. I foresee a nasty floor fight at the convention about seating the delegates from Michigan and Florida which mostly favor Clinton.

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:14 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Those who "mostly favor Clinton" don't count the voters who voted Republican instead of Uncommitted. Some of those who voted in the Republican primary would have cast votes for Democrats who were not on the primary ballot. And, some did not vote at all because they didn't think their vote was going to count.

Let's hope Michigan decides to go ahead with a caucus like the DNC has suggested. Or maybe Michigan and Florida primary questions will go to the courts to resolve instead? I can't see them waiting until convention to resolve this issue. It would be very unwise. The people in those states who voted in their primaries will not stand for it.
Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:38 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Right now, the prevailing feeling among Michigan Democrats is not to cave in to pressure from the national party to hold a caucus and let the results of the early primary stand.

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080208/NEWS01/302080025

quote:
Michigan Democrats allocate delegates to Clinton, Uncommitted
The Associated Press

LANSING — Hillary Rodham Clinton will get the lion’s share of Michigan’s Democratic national convention delegates after winning the state’s Jan. 15 presidential primary.

Clinton will get 73 pledged delegates after winning 55 percent of the statewide vote, the Michigan Democratic Party said today in a release.

Another 55 delegates will be officially uncommitted to any candidate since 40 percent of the Democratic voters chose uncommitted on the ballot. Because Barack Obama and John Edwards had taken their names off the ballot, many of their supporters voted for uncommitted in the hopes of winning some delegates to the national convention.

The state also has 28 superdelegates, many of whom have not endorsed a favorite candidate, for a total of 156.

Michigan has been stripped of its delegates for moving up its primary, but party leaders expect the delegates to be seated at the national convention.

Eighty-three of the pledged delegates will be elected at district conventions on March 29. The remaining 45 pledged delegates will be elected at a Democratic State Central Committee meeting on May 17 in Grand Rapids.

The state also has 21 pledged alternates and 18 committee members, who hope to attend the Aug. 25-28 Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colo.

The Democratic National Committee is asking Michigan and Florida — which was stripped of its delegates after moving its primary to Jan. 29 — to consider holding another primary contest such as a caucus that meets DNC rules so their delegates can be seated at the convention.

That looks unlikely. Florida Democratic Party officials said earlier this week they don’t intend to hold another election, and one of Michigan’s U.S. senators said today that he doesn’t expect his state to hold another contest, either.

“I don’t see a practical way to hold a caucus in Michigan,” Sen. Carl Levin of Detroit said in a statement. “Given that 600,000 Michigan voters participated in a primary that was held in accordance with Michigan law, it seems to me that it would not be practical or fair to throw out the results of that election.”

The stakes are increasingly high as Obama and Clinton compete for the delegates they need to win the party’s presidential nomination, a contest that could stretch to the spring.

The eventual winner could be decided at the Democratic National Convention, which makes the question of whether the Michigan and Florida delegates are seated an important strategic point.

Clinton also won Florida, where she got 50 percent of the 1.75 million votes cast compared to 33 percent for Obama and 14 percent for Edwards, who has since dropped out. Obama said the results were meaningless.

Clinton recently said she would ask her delegates to support seating the Michigan and Florida delegations at the Denver convention. So far Obama has not heeded her call to do the same, and it’s unlikely he would if it means Clinton would get the larger share of delegates from both states.

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:55 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Michigan changed its primary law to hold its primary early, contrary to DNC rules, knowing Michigan delegates wouldn't be seated at convention. Michigan Dems encouraged voters to vote Uncommitted if their candidate's name wasn't on ballot. Michigan voters (and those who didn't vote because they thought their votes wouldn't count) have been disenfranchised. This oughta be worth settling in court--before convention.
Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:26 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: