FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mcain is now the man.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

McCain Seals GOP Nod As Romney Suspends

Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:45 PM

Article Font Size

WASHINGTON -- John McCain effectively sealed the Republican presidential nomination on Thursday as chief rival Mitt Romney suspended his faltering presidential campaign. "I must now stand aside, for our party and our country," Romney prepared to tell conservatives.

"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror," Romney will say at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He aint my first choice but a hell of a lot better than an Hussein Obama or Hildabeast.

Last edited by twotap on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:49 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Hopefully we can unseal it. Ron Paul 2008!

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:02 pm 
last time here

aw please. lurch was gettin smoked by mcCain and didn't want
to spend any more of daddy's money!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

out of all the repubs i'd like to see ron paul win. i don't know
why he isn't getting the votes. are people afraid of him??

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:27 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I listened to Mcain on the radio today while we were crusin in the winter wonderland woods up here. He sure put it to Obama and Hillary nailed em both real real good. He keeps talking like that he will get lots of support. Laughing
Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:10 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

McCain's "the man" if you want to spend the rest of your lifetime supporting wars. Here are some notes from one of his campaign stops.

McCain is obsessed with the idea of Radical Islamic Extremism - Will get Osama bin Laden if he has to pursue him to the gates of Hell. Explosives coming across from Iran. We will never surrender in Iraq no matter what it costs.
Would rather lose an election than lose a war. IEDs coming from Iran into Iraq. Every veteran will get a plastic card to get the medical treatment they deserve. Economy--need to fix it, need to make tax cuts. Alternate minimum tax– got to abolish it. Corporate tax--second highest in world--cut it. Stop pork barrel spending, such as 3 million dollars to study bears' DNA. FAIR TAX movement (national sales tax)--if we really enacted it--shouldn't we first repeal the 16th amendment to the constitution....

Q. If Al Qaeda in Afghanistan why is all the activity in Iraq?
McCain: Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iranians continue to pursue development of nuclear weapons.
Lieberman: Main battleground is in Iraq.

Q. How far can we trust the Saudis?
A. Some of the money we spend on oil funds madrassas...

Q. Health care for seniors, plans for health care?
A. Pharmaceuticals too powerful and influential in Washington. There's gonna be a great debate, health care run by government or privately? 5 major diseases 75% of costs.

Q. Not enough servicemen over there fighting. Mandatory draft?
A. No.

Q. Why can't they recruit them?
A. Daughter Megan graduate of Columbia Univ. He is appalled. They invite the president of Iran and they won't allow a military recruiter to recruit on their campus.

Q. Illegal immigration problem. What can you do as president that you can't do as a senator to address this problem?
A. This is the most emotional issue we have been involved in. Will secure our borders first. Then we will move on to tamper proof .... Deport criminals. Some may have to go back home and comeback legally. Humanitarian element to this as well.

Q. To what do you attribute your recent surge in the polls?
A. Personality, charisma (laughing)... Told people the truth whether they want to hear or not.

We may disagree but I will never let you down.

Q. I'm a teacher, education system needs help. Single mom, one daughter in college. Doesn't know how they're gonna do it. She teaches level 1 and 2, may have to leave so she can put her own daughter through school.

A. Thank you for your involvement and profession. Cindy McCain was a teacher of special ed when he met her. (No direct response to the problem posed.)
Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:07 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:

out of all the repubs i'd like to see ron paul win. i don't know
why he isn't getting the votes. are people afraid of him??

The political and media establishment is very afraid of Ron Paul.

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:39 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

OK Then, McCain
By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Wednesday, February 06, 2008 4:20 PM PT

Decision '08: After John McCain's impressive showing on Super Tuesday, put us down as nattering nababs of negativism. No, we spelled it right: not "nabobs," but NABABs — as in Not As Bad As Barack (or Hillary).

That's the way we feel about the now-presumed Republican standard-bearer. Hardly a ringing endorsement, we know. But after all the stands we've taken — on tax relief, business bashing, illegal immigration, campaign-finance reform, stem-cell research, global warming, Supreme Court appointments, same-sex marriage, etc. — we'd be pretty two-faced if we unhesitatingly embraced someone who's been on the other side every time.

That said, McCain is strong on the most important issue of our time — the fight against radical Islamic terrorism. As we said here Tuesday, unless America hangs tough on the war, and especially if Iran gets a nuclear weapon, other issues will pale by comparison.

And the fact is, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton have made it clear that, if elected, they will beat a retreat from the Middle East, returning a benighted region that we are trying to transform into a caldron of terrorism and atomic one-upmanship.

Instead of stopping Iran from getting the bomb, Obama — and probably Clinton, given her husband's record in fighting terrorism — will sit down and negotiate with modern-day Hitlers such as Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in hopes that he, like Neville Chamberlain, will achieve peace in our time. Such naivete is breathtaking.

That more Americans don't seem concerned is baffling. Maybe Islamofascism has receded in the public's mind the farther we get from 9/11 and the longer we go without another attack. Polls that now list the economy as Americans' No. 1 worry suggest as much. Maybe the enormity of the threat still hasn't sunk in, no matter how many times President Bush lays it out.

Then again, maybe it has. Last Sunday on ABC's "This Week," pundit George Will made an interesting observation. McCain's fortunes, he said, revived when Benazir Bhutto was assassinated in Pakistan. The chart above shows Will is onto something.

The killing of this pro-American leader, carried out for all the world to see, couldn't be ignored by mainstream media that had played down the war since the surge gained traction in Iraq. Suddenly, the threat was back in the public's consciousness.

Why else would McCain, who'd been steadfast in his support of the war, and even critical of its uneven prosecution until Gen. David Petraeus took over, rise phoenixlike from also-ran status?

Based on McCain's success in the primaries so far, it appears that his fellow Republicans, at least, have put two and two together again and the war on terror back on top of their priority list.

On Tuesday, Director of National Intelligence Michael McConnell told Congress that al-Qaida is preparing to strike the U.S.

"Al-Qaida is improving the last key aspect of its ability to attack the U.S. — the identification, training and positioning of operatives for an attack on the homeland," McConnell said.

Whoever wins the Democratic nomination had better hope he's wrong, because that would remind voters how important their choice of commander-in-chief really is.
Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:32 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Looks like we'll have to choose between a moderately liberal McCain and an extremely liberal Dem. Once again, trying to pick the lesser of 2 evils.
Ann Coulter may have a point in voting for Shrillary if she's the nominee. She feels that president Shrillary will be so bad she'll turn people off th the Dems for years to come.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

ann coulter. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing a clown. Laughing Laughing

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:03 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Ann Coulter may have a point in voting for Shrillary if she's the nominee. She feels that president Shrillary will be so bad she'll turn people off th the Dems for years to come.

I thought that same thing about Slick.

And it's always the lesser of two evils.
Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:56 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Ron Paul is out.
http://ronpaul2008.typepad.com/ron_paul_2008/2008/02/message-from-ro.html

Huckabee fights on
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080209/ap_on_el_pr/huckabee

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:38 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
Ron Paul is out.
http://ronpaul2008.typepad.com/ron_paul_2008/2008/02/message-from-ro.html

Ron Paul is not out.

"With Romney gone, the chances of a brokered convention are nearly zero. But that does not affect my determination to fight on, in every caucus and primary remaining, and at the convention for our ideas, with just as many delegates as I can get. But with so many primaries and caucuses now over, we do not now need so big a national campaign staff, and so I am making it leaner and tighter. Of course, I am committed to fighting for our ideas within the Republican party, so there will be no third party run."

"In the presidential race and the congressional race, I need your support, as always."

Source: http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:23 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

I say again: "Ron Paul doesn't have a prayer."
Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:30 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Ron Paul is technically still fighting for delegates even though he has no chance to win. Hopefully we will have a Ron Paul or Ron Paul type candidate in 2012.
Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:46 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

McCain won Michigan last night and today. I was fighting for Huckabee in our 5th congressional district to try and get him to win our district but we lost our district and the rest of the state. I lost my election to go to the national convention. We had two other Ron Paul people on the ballot but only six people get to go and there were about 20 strong candidates and we were heavily out numbered.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080216/ap_on_el_pr/republican_delegates

LANSING, Mich. - The majority of Michigan's Republican presidential delegates say they'll back Sen. John McCain now that primary winner Mitt Romney is out of the race.

Romney's 23 delegates will go to the national convention as uncommitted, but 18 now say they'll back McCain. the Arizona senator already has 10 Michigan delegates that he won in the state's Jan. 13 primary.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee will get one delegate based on those primary results. Plus at least three Romney delegates now say they will also back Huckabee.
Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:50 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: