FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: State takeover of city audit, and budget (refresher)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Ya gotta learn to take the good with the bad LT Laughing Laughing
Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:52 am 
last time here

piece of cake...... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:53 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Hey, but your yin-yang is sweet!
Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:08 pm 
last time here

awwwww. thanks demeralda!! Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:10 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
I drive around a lot, and I don't see any miraculous improvement in the major streets. Maybe he's been paving subdivisions, I don't know. But I can honestly and without prejudice say that I don't see any improvements in Flint that are attributable directly to the mayor. I see development in downtown, and that makes me very happy, but I'm not sure he did anything about that.

This one paragraph sums up what my problem is with the Mayor. Basically had the Mayor actually been able to legitamately take credit for any of the things he has said he did. I wouldn't have a beef. But in 2006 The Mayor in his 2005 State of the City Address http://www.cityofflint.net/2006_state_of_flint.htm

said that "IN 2005, WE SAW MAJOR CRIME REDUCED. THE RATE OF CRIME ALSO WAS REDUCED. AND WE SOLVED MORE CRIMES IN 2005. WE DID THIS WITH GOOD DECISIONS AND GREAT TEAMWORK." Now, You don't have to be a statician to look at the crime numbers from the City of Flint Website. http://www.cityofflint.com/police/Stat.htm Add them all up, and figure out that 2005 had more crime than 2004. Back to my whole arguement about benefit of the doubt. There is no doubt in anyone's mind except for the Mayor that Crime Went up his first year in office. Also, that this broke over a ten year trend of crime going down an average of 10% per year! Hmmm? Is that a lie or can he just not add?

My nephew is 4 years old. If I ask him to hand me the glass with more pop in it. He knows which one it is. Or if I ask him which dog is bigger Alie (his rotweiler or Chevy (my pitbull) he points to Alie. Why? Because he can ratinalise that bigger is larger and alie is a larger dog.

But the Don, cannot seem to be able to do this. 68 is less than 46, 34 percent increase is really a major reduction. He gives city Council back pay and then says they are stealing your money. What benefit of the doubt is there? And because your too lazy to read what actually happened and don't want to believe it. Doesn't make it not true.
Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Hey, but your yin-yang is sweet!

Hey whats goin on here?? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:50 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Sorry double-tap, your little blinking lights are pretty sexy too! Except they remind me too much of a meeting I had with our boys in blue not too long ago Smile
Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:37 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Has Demeralda been a bad girl? Shocked Wink Laughing
Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:48 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I believe Mae West's answer to that would be, "When I'm good, I'm good; when I'm bad, I'm better." Smile

Seriously though, hmm, I doubt anyone on this board knows me personally, so I'll share some brief details.

I got a speeding ticket, my first in 20 years of driving. It was for 5 over. I sent them a check; apparently they didn't receive it. Can you guess what comes next?

So I was in a gas station and this cop walks by and checks me out. I'm not bragging, it's not that I'm oh-so-hot, but I do have very, very long blonde hair and it does sometimes attract notice. So anyway, I'm friendly with him, I had no reason to be worried. He doesn't say anything. I leave the gas station, get on 23, and before I'm even on I see the lights. He walks up and says my name, and of course I'm wondering how the hell he knows my name and what I did to get pulled over. Turns out my license is suspended. So, no kidding, this was Dec. 21st, I'm coming back from a meeting in Ann Arbor, and he frisked me, slapped the cuffs on, and hauls me off to jail. Leaves me in cuffs the whole time, like I'm some threat. Incidentally, I was wearing my suit, my uber-professional coat, the whole she-bang.

Was he within his right? I suppose so. Was he "right"? Not in my opinion. If we are not capable of using discretionary judgment in situations, we might as well be animals. Obviously I posed no threat to him, and I felt the cuffs for an entire 15-20 minute car ride were completely unnecessary. Not to mention that he humiliated me on the side of 23 by searching me down.

In any case, the whole nightmare is over now, but I swear I'm scarred! I don't like seeing those flashy lights! In fact, I don't like seeing a cop car go by at all, I'm always nervous.
Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:52 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
I doubt anyone on this board knows me personally

Well lets see 36 years old, long blonde hair, pretty hot, has arrest record. Were getting to know ya. All kidding aside sorry about your bad experience but as that old bumper sticker says s--- happens. I will change my avatar now . By the way
Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:30 pm 
last time here

ahhh. something else i can give to your wife 2tap!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

ted.. sounds like you feel you've been mistreated by the flint police
department right?? you filed a complaint and you feel nothing was
done to recover your stuff?? let me guess..you found it in a pawnshop??

wow, i've read your stuff. you've been anti-williamson for
quite a while have'nt you?? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:57 pm 
last time here

i hereby, forthwith, suspend my verbal battle with ted..... Cool Shocked Cool

(until the next time).. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:51 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Obviously, you didn't read and understand everything very well. It wasn't my stuff that was found in the Pawn shop. It was my Nieghbors!

The system wasn't all that great when he took over. I don't blame him for that. I blame him for making it worse! It's even more difficult for officers to do thier jobs now! Plus there are more of them to not be able to do it. This situation just doesn't make much sense to me! Have more people and accomplish less!

Constant Lies, Ones that are so blantant with just a few minutes of searching on the net or even better yet, checking the city's website for the informatin, you have more than enough proof that it's a lie. It's one thing to mis-speak on a subject. But, this guy blantantly lies so bad. In your faces lies! So unbelieveable that someone would lie about these things people cannot rationalise he would ever lie about them.

Mistreated by the Police Department. Sure, We all have been. This comes from a lack of leadership.
Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
last time here

well................................i understand what your saying.

however, i do read somewhat well and have a fair sense
of perception young man. i guess the whole point of america
is having the right to differ. good luck ted!! Shocked Shocked

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:48 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

The surplus is officially gone and we need to cut $4million.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=5965337

FLINT (WJRT) -- (02/18/0Cool--Flint's mayor's office confirmed Monday what auditors have been saying for weeks. The city's $6 million surplus is gone, and now it must find ways to cut an additional $4 million.

With several rounds of layoffs and budget cuts over the past weeks, there's been growing speculation about Flint's budget condition.
Monday city officials confirmed that they are working to prevent projected deficits.

"We have to make adjustments based on revenues coming in," said City Administrator Darryl Buchanan.

The financial tone in the mayor's office has officially changed since the optimistic projections of the city's finances made about three months ago -- days before the November election.

"We have achieved a lot -- a balanced budget with a surplus," Mayor Don Williamson said back in November. "We have about a $6.4 million surplus."
The city's finance director acknowledged, though, that the surplus is now gone.

"That's what we're working on right now. The budget director is working on layoffs, looking for where we can save some money," said Flint Finance Director Peter Dobrzeniecki.

"That's probably why you need to have the budget director here. I think the projection that Brian Ross made was pretty close to about $4 million."

The finance director also confirmed that the budget director will soon need to come to council with a budget amendment to reflect the cuts once they figure out how much needs to be cut to keep the city in the black.

"We want to do the least amount of harm," Dobrzeniecki said. "It's not just a matter of coming up with $4 million in a hatchet. We want to be more surgical about it."

The mayor's staff says the financial picture has changed because of costly new union contracts and because the state and local economy is far worse than they projected a year ago.

Buchanan also stresses that the numbers are not final, and that for now they're just talking projections.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:44 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: