FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Why won't Brenda pay her property taxes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Anyone else catch this in the paper. The list of properties headed to foreclosure had several listed for our very own Ombudsman, Brenda Purifoy.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Brenda Purifoy - Convicted in 1985 of two misdemeanor counts of assault and battery, fined $205 and fired. She eventually was reinstated and retired in 1999 as community relations coordinator and she is a retired police officer.

I would say she was a good choice...yeah.

quote:
From original post:
http://www.flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=571&highlight=brenda+purifoy

Why the hell would they, the council, even conceder a convicted felon??

Don't point fingers at the Mayor, he was elected by the people of Flint not appointed by the council.

Donna Poplar -Convicted in 2000 of obtaining money over $100 under false pretenses, a felony. She was sentenced to 2 years' probation, 25 hours of community service and 90 days of house arrest.

Brenda Purifoy - Convicted in 1985 of two misdemeanor counts of assault and battery, fined $205 and fired. She eventually was reinstated and retired in 1999 as community relations coordinator and she is a retired police officer.

Nadine Roberts - Convicted of arson and is on probation for an attempted insurance fraud conviction in 2005

This is a bigger joke then that the last go a round!! Flint is nothing more that a F-up circus!

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-36/1147004482186130.xml&coll=5&thispage=1

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

A guy that owns a house on our block has all 12 of his properties on the list. When he was asked about it, he said: "Nobody told me I owed taxes. I never got anything in the mail". Yeah.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Oh, yeah, I saw in the Free press that Kwame's new chief of staff paid $9400.00 in back property taxes his first day on the job.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Kandia is a guys name. Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Ill bet he didnt get no ribbin in school. Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:09 pm 
last time here

pickin the wrong people to gripe about josh. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

1. mrs. purifoy will pay her property taxes.
2. the "misdemeanor" was for rousting prostitutes. i say thank you purifoy!

why are you guys so tough on people who may have made a mistake
in life?? isn't that what life is for??

no human on this planet qualifies as "the christ". Yar good

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:57 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Perhaps we should all wait 2 years and pay our property taxes a day or two before losing our property.

If it's good enough for those living off of our tax money, it should be good enough for all.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:03 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

The problem is that when property taxes aren't paid, it reduces the expected income in the city coffers. Therefore, it throws off the CITY BUDGET and contributes to problems balancing that budget! Which has a trickle-down effect, like seeing city employees being laid off!
Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:04 pm 
willy
F L I N T O I D

Go to the Genesee country Treasures site . and Get Wise..
Every year the COUNTY Gives the Cities, Townships,and Village All the Property Tax money for their city, township, Village and so on, Before you even get your TAX bill.
The County is the one who looses the money when the Taxes are not paid.. This is Why The COUNTY gives out the TAX forecloser notices
Once the Property Goes into foreclosure The County owns the property .
and then For the NEXT 10 years , The City, Township, Village DO NOT receive any of the Tax dollars Generated after the property is Sold.. The County gets all the $$$$$$$.
That is how it was Explained to me by one of communities LEADER.

What need to be Done, is that the IRS should stop letting SLUM landlords and home owners Deduct the LATE fees and other Penilties from their INCOME TAXES
Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:03 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
willy schreef:
Every year the COUNTY Gives the Cities, Townships,and Village All the Property Tax money for their city, township, Village and so on, Before you even get your TAX bill. *** That is how it was Explained to me by one of communities LEADER.
I've never heard of this--I live in the City and pay my taxes to the city. If what you're saying is true, the city gets my property taxes twice. How about a link and the name of the "leader" for an official explanation?
Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:25 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
willy schreef:
Every year the COUNTY Gives the Cities, Townships,and Village All the Property Tax money for their city, township, Village and so on, Before you even get your TAX bill. *** That is how it was Explained to me by one of communities LEADER.
I've never heard of this--I live in the City and pay my taxes to the city. If what you're saying is true, the city gets my property taxes twice. How about a link and the name of the "leader" for an official explanation?

My understanding is that once the property goes to the County, that is when the County pays the City ..... not on a yearly basis only after the taxes are in default and the county is taking over the property....
Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:34 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
pickin the wrong people to gripe about josh. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

1. mrs. purifoy will pay her property taxes.
2. the "misdemeanor" was for rousting prostitutes. i say thank you purifoy!

why are you guys so tough on people who may have made a mistake
in life?? isn't that what life is for??

no human on this planet qualifies as "the christ". Yar good

Hey... if she wants to beat up on hookers... thats her issue... but she needs to pay her taxes in a timely manner!
Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:35 am 
last time here

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing o.k. josh.

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:59 am 
willy
F L I N T O I D

From the Genesee county Treasures Web site
==============================================

For more than 30 years, the County of Genesee has provided significant cash flow benefits to local units of government in the County through its delinquent tax revolving fund. The Genesee County delinquent tax revolving fund originally was created by resolution of the County Board of Commissioners and is administered by the County Treasurer, as agent for the County. This fund enables local units of government that levy property taxes in the County, such as cities, villages, townships and school districts, to receive all of their property tax revenues in the fiscal year for which those taxes are levied instead of having to wait until such property taxes are actually paid (which is sometimes months or even years later). Since 1973, the County has funded its delinquent tax revolving fund with proceeds of County notes sold annually, as described in this section.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:47 pm 
willy
F L I N T O I D

DELINQUENT TAX REVOLVING FUND OVERVIEW

For more than 30 years, the County of Genesee has provided significant cash flow benefits to local units of government in the County through its delinquent tax revolving fund. The Genesee County delinquent tax revolving fund originally was created by resolution of the County Board of Commissioners and is administered by the County Treasurer, as agent for the County. This fund enables local units of government that levy property taxes in the County, such as cities, villages, townships and school districts, to receive all of their property tax revenues in the fiscal year for which those taxes are levied instead of having to wait until such property taxes are actually paid (which is sometimes months or even years later). Since 1973, the County has funded its delinquent tax revolving fund with proceeds of County notes sold annually, as described in this section.

In recent years, the County notes have been sold as variable rate notes and paid monthly as to principal and interest. For example, on May 25, 2006, the County issued its General Obligation Limited Tax Notes, Series 2006 in the aggregate principal amount of $35,000,000. The proceeds of the notes were used to pay local taxing units 100 percent of their delinquent 2005 property taxes. From the collection of the delinquent 2005 real property taxes, the County makes payments of principal and interest on the Notes monthly.

Ratings on the Notes are applied for annually from Moody’s Investors Service, Inc., and Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services. Standard & Poor’s designated the Series 2006 Notes at SP-1+, and Moody’s assigned a MIG 1—both are considered the highest ratings for notes. In 2006, no application was made to any other credit rating agency for Genesee County’s tax notes. Any explanation of the significance of these ratings may be obtained only from the respective rating agency. Additionally, definitions of the ratings can be obtained by contacting Moody’s Investors Service http://www.moodys.com/ and Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services.

The cash flow benefit to local taxing units can best be understood by examining the real property tax levy and collection process without a delinquent tax revolving fund. Local taxing units levy property taxes annually to fund their current operations and to pay debt service on borrowings. Local taxing units levy these taxes at various times of the year, although the last levy typically is not later than December 1. The local taxing units continue to collect these taxes until the March 1 following the year in which the taxes were levied. On that March 1, the responsibility for the collection of the taxes that are unpaid and delinquent rests with the County Treasurer. At that point, a lengthy process begins during which the delinquent property taxes and interest and penalties thereon may be paid to the County Treasurer. As the County Treasurer subsequently receives the delinquent tax payments over the next few years, it periodically distributes to the local taxing units their share of these payments. Of course, receiving property tax revenues years after the year in which they were budgeted to be received poses significant cash flow problems for the local taxing units.

The procedure described in the preceding paragraph was in effect prior to 1968. In 1968, the State of Michigan enacted a law to permit counties to create a delinquent tax revolving fund. The purpose of the delinquent tax revolving fund was to pay to all of the taxing units within the County from such fund all of their delinquent taxes on the day that they turned over the delinquent tax rolls to the County Treasurer for collection. At that time, the only way for a county to obtain money for the delinquent tax revolving fund was to use its own general fund moneys, which is something that most counties were unable or unwilling to do. In 1972, however, another state law was enacted that permitted counties to borrow money by issuing their short term notes in order to obtain moneys to fund their delinquent tax revolving funds and thus pay local taxing units 100 percent of their delinquent taxes. Genesee County first issued such notes in 1973 and since then has issued notes annually for such purpose.

Typically, the County notes are issued in the spring, after the amount of delinquent taxes of each taxing unit for the prior year has been determined. The proceeds from the sale of the notes are then distributed to each of the taxing units in an amount equal to that taxing unit's delinquent taxes. As the County Treasurer subsequently collects the delinquent taxes, such moneys are then used to pay the debt service on the County notes. In this way, the taxing units are able to receive all of their property tax revenues in the fiscal year for which the taxes are levied.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:50 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: