FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Would this make you want to vote for Barack Obama?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

2004 Dem nominee Kerry endorsing Obama By GLEN JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
18 minutes ago

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee, intends to endorse Sen. Barack Obama for the White House in a timely slap at Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton as well as his own vice presidential running mate.

Kerry planned to deliver his endorsement in South Carolina at a time, two weeks before that state's primary, when Clinton is riding a wave of enthusiasm following her victory over Obama in the New Hampshire primary.

Former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, the third contender in the Democratic presidential race, was Kerry's vice presidential running mate in 2004. Despite their political alliance, the two men were not close personally and differed behind the scenes on campaign strategy in a race that President Bush won.

Edwards responded to word of the endorsement with a diplomatic statement: "Our country and our party are stronger because of John's service, and I respect his decision. When we were running against each other and on the same ticket, John and I agreed on many issues."

Kerry was Obama's political benefactor once before, selecting the relatively unknown Illinois senatorial candidate to deliver the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention in Boston. It was Obama's first turn in the national spotlight and helped launch him on a remarkable ascent that has made him one of two leading contenders for the party's presidential nomination only four years later.

Kerry planned to announce his endorsement at a rally with Obama at the College of Charleston.

The Massachusetts senator lost the South Carolina Democratic primary in 2004 to Edwards.

Kerry and Edwards had their differences during the 2004 campaign over strategy and spending, and Edwards has said he would have been more aggressive in challenging the unsubstantiated allegations of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth questioning Kerry's military record.

Kerry's endorsement also was a jab at Clinton, the New York Democrat who won the New Hampshire primary after a loss to Obama in the Iowa caucuses.

Kerry had withheld his endorsement, hoping to have an impact on the race and avoid the fate of fellow Democrat Al Gore, the 2000 nominee who endorsed Howard Dean in 2004 shortly before the former Vermont governor's campaign imploded. Gore has made no endorsement so far this year.

While Kerry has been close to Clinton's husband, the former president, he was incensed in 2006 when she chided him after Kerry suggested that people who don't go to school "get stuck in Iraq." Aides said Kerry meant to jab at Bush and say "get us stuck in Iraq," and that he didn't appreciate Clinton piling onto the criticism he was already getting for the remark.

Kerry himself had considered running for president in 2008, but that plan fizzled with the botched remark. For many Democrats, his words revived bitter memories of his missteps in 2004, when he lost to Bush.

As for Obama, Kerry gave the young Illinois state senator his first turn in the national spotlight when he chose him to deliver the keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. Later that year, Obama won election as a U.S. senator.

Since announcing a year ago he would not make the run, Kerry has prodded Democrats to take a stronger anti-war stance, pushing for troop withdrawal deadlines. In another area, he has backed environmental causes, writing a book with his wife on the issue.

Kerry should be able to provide some organizational muscle to Obama.

Since losing the 2004 race, Kerry has kept a national network of supporters intact. He has an e-mail network of 3 million supporters, according to aides. He also has traveled extensively raising millions of dollars for Democratic candidates nationwide.

___

Associated Press Writer Andrew Miga contributed to this report.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080110/ap_on_el_pr/obama_kerry;_ylt=AmmxiRWB2iJKAlghyIvNncWyFz4D

If I were Barack Obama, I think I would have asked John Kerry to support someone else. McCain, perhaps? And what does it say that Kerry picked Edwards as a running mate and doesn't support him now?
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:19 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

The above posting is irrelevant as we can't vote for Obama as he is not on the Michigan primary ballot and write-in votes for him will not count. If you want to vote for Obama, you must vote for "uncommitted."

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:35 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

If a person votes "uncommitted" the delegate can use that vote to vote for whomever the delegate/party chooses to.
So you are screwed, no write ins allowed!

Isn't the democratic process great! It is like Florida all over again without the chads!

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
last time here

i refuse to vote in protest!!! Crying or Very sad

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:13 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I cant speak for FC but I have a sneaking suspicion he may have meant would you vote for Barack Hussein Obama if he actually runs for prez. In my case no never. Very Happy
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:40 pm 
last time here

if obama's the choice of the demo party, he has my and 2taps vote. Laughing

as a matter of fact, whomever the demo is, he/she has my vote!!

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:51 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Likewise.

But just for this primary, I will be a "Republican" so I can screw up their primary and vote for Ron Paul.

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:11 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
[as a matter of fact, whomever the demon is, he/she has my vote!!

I can believe that. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:47 pm 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

Although I am VERY vocal about my political opinions, I am equal opportunity when I make my images.

Here are a couple for you Obama Lovers.

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:20 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I Captioned this photo "lurch Has New ventriloquist dummy" Laughing Or from one loser to another. Laughing
Hey LT the only way your ever gonna get to cruise in the Nova with me mrs twotap and her twin sister is if you swear your undying loyalty to us repubs. Laughing

Last edited by twotap on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:24 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Maybe this should be FLINT TALK PHOTO ALBUMS instead of Flint Talk's Political Talk! Confused
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:29 pm 
last time here

uhhh...heh heh....she has a TWIN Shocked Shocked

(wheres my geritol!)

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:31 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Maybe this should be FLINT TALK PHOTO ALBUMS instead of Flint Talk's Political Talk!

UHOH somebodys dont like photos. Ya know what they say OO one picture is worth a bunch of words. Laughing Laughing Maybe you should clear that with Steve first

Last edited by twotap on Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:38 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Gosh she is a beautiful woman!

quote:
twotap schreef:

quote:
Maybe this should be FLINT TALK PHOTO ALBUMS instead of Flint Talk's Political Talk!

UHOH somebodys dont like photos. Ya know what they say OO one picture is worth a bunch of words. Laughing Laughing Maybe you should clear that with Steve first.

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Hey LT the only way your ever gonna get to cruise in the Nova with me mrs twotap and her twin sister is if you swear your undying loyalty to us repubs. Laughing

I'll swear my undying loyalty for that!!!!
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:37 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: