FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Suit against MI's primary is denied, DNC punishes MI Dems
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Decision 2008

Suit against Mich.'s primary is denied
The DNC also formally punishes state Dems for moving voting date up.

Gordon Trowbridge / Detroit News Washington Bureau

A federal judge on Monday ruled against a challenge to next week's Democratic presidential primary, and the national Democratic Party formally punished Michigan for moving up the date of the contest.

District Judge Robert Yonker denied a request to halt the state party from using the primary's results to select delegates for the Democratic National Convention. The suit was brought by a supporter of Democratic candidate John Edwards, who removed his name from the Michigan ballot as part of the dispute with the national party over the primary calendar.

Edwards, Barack Obama, Bill Richardson and Joe Biden all withdrew from the ballot, citing Michigan's decision to hold a January contest, earlier than national rules allow. Hillary Clinton is the only major candidate still on the ballot, and she has joined a boycott of campaigning in the state.

Meanwhile, the Democratic National Committee sent formal notification on Monday that it will punish Michigan's rule-breaking. Last month, the DNC's rules committee gave Michigan 30 days to return its contest to Feb. 5 or later -- to comply with scheduling rules -- or lose all its convention delegates. That 30-day period expired over the weekend, and a letter to state party Chairman Mark Brewer went out Monday, making the penalty official. State party spokesman Jason Moon said late Monday that the party had not yet received the letter.

Brewer and other Democrats have repeatedly said they do not expect the penalties to hold once the party meets this August in Denver. Brewer said last week that he also expects convention officials to bar -- at least officially -- the Michigan delegation from its designated hotel in Denver, but that he expects that decision, like the delegate penalty, to be reversed.

Natalie Wyeth, a spokeswoman for the convention organizing committee, said the committee was awaiting instructions from the DNC's rules committee on how to handle logistics for the Michigan delegation.

You can reach Gordon Trowbridge at (202) 662-8738 or gtrowbridge@detnews.com.

Source:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080108/POLITICS01/801080348/1022/POLITICS
Accessed: January 8, 2008
Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:59 pm 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

Don't risk it Smile Vote for in the Republican Primary for Ron Paul to ensure no "party line" neo-con gets on the ballot in November.

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:06 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

What I don't understand.... not that I care because I'm not voting for any of the democrats at this point... but why does Obama, Edwards, and Richardson feel the need to withdraw from the ballot, but Hillary doesn't? Did they withdraw to stay on the good side of voters in other states who might care if Michigan has an early primary? I don't think that many people care all that much, especially independants who are going for Obama. And if it is that big of a deal, why can Hillary be on the ballot without suffering the consequences that the others feel they will suffer?

I guess I just don't understand this side of politics. Of course, voters can write in Obama or Edwards... maybe they are counting on that.

Oh well. Sucks for the Michigan Democratic Party!
Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:26 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Howdy Tegan:

Your quote: ****I guess I just don't understand this side of politics. Of course, voters can write in Obama or Edwards... maybe they are counting on that. ****

Unfortunately, voters can't write in the people that are not on the ballot. A letter of Intent or something called that has to be filed with the Secretary of State in Michigan and they haven't filed it.....so if people write those names in? Their ballots will be spoiled......sigh.

Ain't this grand? <sarcasm> Smile

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:41 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

seriously? wow. Is that just for primaries? Or does that also go for the general election? Because I was always taught in school that you could write in your own name if you wanted...

but wow. then that really sucks for all the Michigan democrats who want a choice in this election
Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:54 am 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

As I understand it, the law for write-in votes is intended to avoid people writing in their own names on the ballot as well as votes for Mickey Mouse and the like. Those not on the ballot who want write-in votes for them count must contact the appropriate authority, state or local, to report that they are candidates. Obama and Edwards did not contact the Michigan Secretary of State by the deadline last week so any votes for them will not count.

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:00 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

What does that say about Obama and Edwards's view of Michigan? Do they view our state as unimportant? I mean, don't get me wrong, there are a lot more important states than Michigan, but in the long run, it might come back and bite them.

For example, Mitt Romney is focusing a lot of his time on Michigan, and as a result, some other republican candidates might also come here to try and counter Romney's campaign. If the republican candidates woo some of the independants that might have otherwise voted for Obama or Edwards, it might come back and bite them in the butt for the general election.

Now I know that Michigan is generally a democratic state and blah blah blah, but sometimes I feel like we get ignored by the rest of the country, so when a candidate makes a point to address Michigan, I appreciate it.

Sorry, that was ranty.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:49 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Howdy Tegan:

***Is that just for primaries? Or does that also go for the general election?*****

This is just for this primary only, for the Democrats alone, if one chooses to pick that ballot before they vote.

****Because I was always taught in school that you could write in your own name if you wanted... ****

You can if you have submitted the correct paperwork to the local clerk if you are running for local office and stand 100 feet away from the entrance of the location of the voting venue to tell people to vote for you. Smile Smile

****but wow. then that really sucks for all the Michigan democrats who want a choice in this election*****

Yeah, I am finding a lot of people (Dems) don't want to vote out of retribution or will vote uncommitted as it will specify on the ballot if they choose obama or edwards.

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:37 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Howdy again Tegan: Smile

*****What does that say about Obama and Edwards's view of Michigan? Do they view our state as unimportant?*****

They decided to go along with what the DNC advised. They would not view our state as unimportant or they would lose a lot of votes, or rather publicly admit it. Wink They will not step foot in Michigan on Jan. 15 from what the reports say and Hillary is on the ballot, but last I heard she would not be campaigning in our state either, so I guess, she's 50/50?

***I mean, don't get me wrong, there are a lot more important states than Michigan, but in the long run, it might come back and bite them. ****

Touche!!! In my opinion every state should be equal because we are all in the same Union.......but that's a Utopian idea....The MDems as a whole already have had it come back to bite them and there are some, such as my self that did not want the status quo interrupted. Then the Dems that wanted it are willing to fight to have this date carved in stone.

*****For example, Mitt Romney is focusing a lot of his time on Michigan, and as a result, some other republican candidates might also come here to try and counter Romney's campaign.******

I am wondering if it's because that the Romney name is well known in these parts and he possibly feels more at home. Didn't his ex-wife keep her last name because of the recognition? I can't remember... I haven't heard if the Republicans are going to stay away due to the date because it was moved and ride on the coat tails of the ill fated move of the Michigan Dems or not. Last night on the news, they said that McCain would possibly be here on Wed. or Thurs.

***If the republican candidates woo some of the independants that might have otherwise voted for Obama or Edwards, it might come back and bite them in the butt for the general election.***

You may be correct...dunno.

*****Now I know that Michigan is generally a democratic state and blah blah blah, but sometimes I feel like we get ignored by the rest of the country, so when a candidate makes a point to address Michigan, I appreciate it.*****

You have a much better outlook on this election than I do.......I guess that I should follow your lead and make lemonade out of some lemons....

*****Sorry, that was ranty****

Nope, I didn't sense snarkiness at all, just venting and contemplation...Smile

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:49 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Which is why I think all states should have the primary on the same date. Yes, I know it would be impossible to campaign everywhere. I don't care.

I say primary August 1st, no campaigning more than 60 days prior, conventions late August/early September (as they are this year), and general election as it is in November. That would still require us to put up with almost 6 months of campaign bs. I think that's more than enough!
Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:51 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Do you know how much money that that would save everyone?! Not to mention time?

If I am not mistaken in England they only have a certain amount of time before their elections to file.....I'll have to ask my cousin....

But the idea wouldn't work, it's filled with too much common sense. Smile

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:22 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

thats a great idea, FC. I was thinking having a lottery the year before to decide what order the states go in, too.

Or divide them by regions. one region one week, another region the next, and so on.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:08 pm 
omgasmurf
F L I N T O I D

Daily Kos, a popular Progressive blog, is rallying the troops to upset the Republican election like we did in 2000 when our state went for John McCain over George W. Bush, after then Governor John Engler (remember that scumbag?) "guaranteed" a win the Bush.

Here's why you may want to vote for Romney:

The longer the Republican primaries go on, the more money they'll spend and the more they will attack each other, viciously. Mitt Romney has pulled his money out of other states and has bet his political future on Michigan this Tuesday. If he wins, he stays in. If he loses, he lost for good. The longer he's in, the better for the Democrats.

So by voting Romney, it turns out that the Democrats in Michigan can effect change with their primary vote.

If you feel particularly strongly about Hillary, then by all means vote for her. But instead of voting for "uncommitted" and hoping the Democratic party gives back some of Michigan's delegates at the convention, why not shake things up a bit?

I know, I know. If you do vote for Romney, you may feel a little dirty and in need of a shower after leaving the polls. However, if you want real change in Washington, if you want to hold the Bush Administration accountable for every pernicious lie and abuse of power over the past 8 years, then the "big picture" candidate for Michigan Democrats is Mitt Romeny.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:40 pm 
last time here

you KNOW you just pissed off 2tap and FC don't you!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:05 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If KOS is your idea of "progressive", I'm even happier to be a conservative.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: