FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: PLEASE CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE FOR OBAMA'S CHURCH:
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE FOR OBAMA'S CHURCH: www.tucc.org/about.htm

I was very curious to learn more about Obama after seeing him on Oprah recently. When he said that he was a member of the Trinity Church of Christ, I thought it would be helpful in my understanding of him to visit his church's website. What I found was shocking! In the church's 10-point mission statement it is clearly stated that the congregation has a NON-NEGOTIABLE COMMITMENT TO AFRICA - NOT AMERICA. In fact, there is no mention!

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

It's good to be proud of your heritage. I'm proud of mine, BUT I'm an American first.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

That would explain the Louis Farakhan interview in the magazine that the reverends put out.

edited to add: Never heard of "womanist theology" ?!

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:37 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Ah yes Calypso Louie now theirs a piece of work. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:06 pm 
last time here

my goodness ryan. i must have overlooked the "NOT AMERICA" part.
where exactly is it?? or is that comment something you just happened
to throw in?? Cool

personally, i see nothing wrong with it. enlighten me ryan. Cool

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:22 pm 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
my goodness ryan. i must have overlooked the "NOT AMERICA" part.
where exactly is it?? or is that comment something you just happened
to throw in?? Cool

personally, i see nothing wrong with it. enlighten me ryan. Cool

Um...

quote:
A congregation with a non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO AFRICA.

Hello... you are in Illinois, AMERICA. I would wager NONE of you have been to Africa in the last 5 years, most likely your life. These are the type that think Africa is full of fun people with fancy dresses & fancier names, and everyone is a descendant of royalty... No clue about the actual issues affecting their world.

This joker refuses to respect the National Anthem. [reference: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp ] This combined with his church's stance makes me wonder who exactly he's pledging allegiance to...

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:47 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

As always, you have made an excellent point, Opprimo.

A couple of points, though. Just because his congregation has a non-negotiable commitment to Africa means he's not committed to America? I didn't read it that way. Also, does it mean that Obama's not alligent to America because he doesn't put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem? I have never defined patriotism as something that small. The world is full of people who have no idea what patriotism is. Did he do that to spite America? Or was he ignorant of what that act meant? Isn't what's really important what he can do, and has done, for America? I think that would show how patriotic he is. Also, isn't that excercising your right as an American to express yourself?

Having said that, I agree - he does seem like a joker. I'm for Paul, too (only because he's a Libertarian in disguise).

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:39 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

That's all tripe.

Let's face it, every candidate has to profess something about his religion to appease "America at large". I most firmly believe that he is a secular humanist, like his mother was, and this religion thing is really the result of considering national politics.

While I don't condone adopting a religious stance to win votes, I do see why it must appear to be necessary.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:32 am 
last time here

this whole thread is weak. ryan's assumption the church is racist is
nonsensical at best. opprimo's comments make no sense whatsoever.
first, opp has no idea who's been to africa. a trip to africa is no different
than a trip to canada or france or egypt. the statement that these "types"
think africa is full of fun people is atrocious. as a matter of fact, i'll bet
i and others in every state have forgotten more about africa than you will ever know. i view his/her comments disrespectful, ignorant and uninformed. Hello! you have no idea of that which you speak. i haven't heard any dumb comments when irish people wear green on st.pat's day (of which i qualify to wear) nor any other nationalistic days celebrated by americans. it is a mistake for you to believe none of these people read nor are aware of africa's issues. you played yourself.

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:50 am 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
this whole thread is weak. ryan's assumption the church is racist is
nonsensical at best. opprimo's comments make no sense whatsoever.
first, opp has no idea who's been to africa. a trip to africa is no different
than a trip to canada or france or egypt. the statement that these "types"
think africa is full of fun people is atrocious. as a matter of fact, i'll bet
i and others in every state have forgotten more about africa than you will ever know. i view his/her comments disrespectful, ignorant and uninformed. Hello! you have no idea of that which you speak. i haven't heard any dumb comments when irish people wear green on st.pat's day (of which i qualify to wear) nor any other nationalistic days celebrated by americans. it is a mistake for you to believe none of these people read nor are aware of africa's issues. you played yourself.

well, you know we agree on a lot of things, but I gotta disagree on this one... I stand behind everything I said and am more than willing to apologize for the 2% of that church population where my self-confessed assumptions are wrong. And as far as not hearing dumb comments when any other Nationalistic celebrations are held. I'm pretty sure there are lots of them flying around but they don't make CNN when someone makes a joke in poor taste.

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:54 pm 
last time here

aw come on...2%?? you've never been there. you assume 98% of those
people are what you call "those types". your simply wrong, but i do
however agree with the other 98% of what you write!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:43 pm 
necroped
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
PLEASE CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE FOR OBAMA'S CHURCH: www.tucc.org/about.htm

I was very curious to learn more about Obama after seeing him on Oprah recently. When he said that he was a member of the Trinity Church of Christ, I thought it would be helpful in my understanding of him to visit his church's website. What I found was shocking! In the church's 10-point mission statement it is clearly stated that the congregation has a NON-NEGOTIABLE COMMITMENT TO AFRICA - NOT AMERICA. In fact, there is no mention!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/church.asp

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:40 pm 
last time here

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing your funny Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:43 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Anytime someone decides to run for prez he or she should expect to have every statement, vote, club affiliation, church membership and just about everything else from their past analyzed. I gotta say once again that if a caucasian candidate belonged to a church that proclaimed its unwavering devotion to his race and led one to believe they would govern accordingly they would be finished before they got started. Double standard at work here, sure appears that way. Confused
Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:59 pm 
last time here

oh i agree 2tap..i agree.....
running for anything will bring up all kinds of suppositions, rumors
and lies. thats just the way it is. i was somewhat surprised that ryan
would be the one to start this but.......ahhhhhhh youth!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

before i grew up "mentally" i too was a bit of a hothead!!!!!!! d'oh! d'oh!

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:04 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: