FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Geeeee!!!! Al Gore .....................
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Climate change 'significantly worse' than feared: Al Gore

Jan 24 04:20 AM US/Eastern

Climate change is occurring far more rapidly than even the worst predictions of the UN's Nobel Prize-winning scientific panel on climate change, Al Gore said on Thursday.
Recent evidence shows "the climate crisis is significantly worse and unfolding more rapidly than those on the pessimistic side of the IPCC projections had warned us," climate campaigner and former US vice-president Gore said.

There are now forecasts that the North Pole ice caps may disappear entirely during summer months within five years, he told a gathering at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

In 2007, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) issued a massive report the size of three phone books on the reality and risks of climate change, its 4th assessment in 18 years.

Global warming is a key theme at this year's meeting of the world's business and political elite in Davos.

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:53 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

fyi...the record high at Flint for this date was set in 1967.

Perhaps Al Gore was in town giving a speech that day.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:15 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Now Bono enters the fray. Again Rolling Eyes hang on to your wallets.

Gore, Bono Outlook on Climate, Poverty
2008-01-24 03:56:45
By GEORGE JAHN Associated Press Writer
DAVOS, Switzerland (AP) — Former Vice President Al Gore and U2 front man Bono offered measured praise Thursday for efforts in tackling climate change and global poverty, but warned the World Economic Forum that conditions were not improving as much as they could.

At an early-morning session that drew several hundred attendees, many clutching cups of coffee or tea to stave off sleep, Gore warned that the world climate crisis was worsening.

"We could take the whole session talking just about the new scientific evidence of the last few weeks and months," said Gore, who shared last year's Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to fight climate change, adding that the "climate crisis is significantly worse and unfolding more rapidly."

Bono, a vocal and high-profile advocate of reducing global poverty by providing debt relief to African nations and boosting efforts to treat and prevent AIDS, had similar comments to make on those issues.

"There are now two million Africans on retroviral drugs and that is pretty astonishing," Bono said, wearing his trademark orange sunglasses. But, he added, efforts by the Group of Eight to pledge $50 billion annually to eliminate poverty had not been met.

"Well, that's not so good and it's strange because the good news makes the bad news even worse," he said. "The G-8 are not making good on their commitments."

"This is a scandal," Bono said.

But he said there were encouraging signs.

He said German Chancellor Angela Merkel has told him she will press for recommitment.

"She has promised to put that right, and that is courageous" considering that Germany is already spending 4 percent of its gross domestic product on its own efforts to reunify east and west Germany, Bono said.

He noted that French President Nicolas Sarkozy told him earlier this month that he, too, would try to keep France's commitments to the poorest of the poor even though he had his own campaign commitments to improve the lives of the French people.

He said the Group of Eight industrial powers had given only about half of the increase to $50 billion a year in aid to Africa that it had targeted in its 2005 summit at Gleneagles, Scotland.

But he said progress that has been made shows the value of trying.

Gore said attempts to stop global warming also must be stepped up.

"We are putting at risk all of human civilization," Gore said, but added, "With a global compact the world can solve the climate crisis, with a global compact the world can solve the poverty crisis."

The annual five-day meeting of 2,500 government, business and academic leaders in the Swiss Alps focused on the issues of poverty and climate change Thursday after the opening day was made somber by of growing terror and the lingering fears of economic malaise.

But losses fueled by the U.S. sub-prime crisis were bound to return, with the discussion returning to the implications of sovereign wealth funds moving in with new investments in hard-hit companies.

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:52 pm 
last time here

yup..tornados big time....weather is screwed up..al was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what you kremers got to say NOW!????? Shocked Shocked Shocked

2tap, FC!!! what????? what?????

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:34 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Tornados weve had em since I can remember. You dont believe Algore can stop em do ya? Confused
Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:58 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

fyi...the record high at Flint for this date was set in 1965.
Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:18 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

The Sun Also Sets
By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Thursday, February 07, 2008 4:20 PM PT

Climate Change: Not every scientist is part of Al Gore's mythical "consensus." Scientists worried about a new ice age seek funding to better observe something bigger than your SUV — the sun.

Back in 1991, before Al Gore first shouted that the Earth was in the balance, the Danish Meteorological Institute released a study using data that went back centuries that showed that global temperatures closely tracked solar cycles.

To many, those data were convincing. Now, Canadian scientists are seeking additional funding for more and better "eyes" with which to observe our sun, which has a bigger impact on Earth's climate than all the tailpipes and smokestacks on our planet combined.

And they're worried about global cooling, not warming.

Kenneth Tapping, a solar researcher and project director for Canada's National Research Council, is among those looking at the sun for evidence of an increase in sunspot activity.

Solar activity fluctuates in an 11-year cycle. But so far in this cycle, the sun has been disturbingly quiet. The lack of increased activity could signal the beginning of what is known as a Maunder Minimum, an event which occurs every couple of centuries and can last as long as a century.

Such an event occurred in the 17th century. The observation of sunspots showed extraordinarily low levels of magnetism on the sun, with little or no 11-year cycle.

This solar hibernation corresponded with a period of bitter cold that began around 1650 and lasted, with intermittent spikes of warming, until 1715. Frigid winters and cold summers during that period led to massive crop failures, famine and death in Northern Europe.

Tapping reports no change in the sun's magnetic field so far this cycle and warns that if the sun remains quiet for another year or two, it may indicate a repeat of that period of drastic cooling of the Earth, bringing massive snowfall and severe weather to the Northern Hemisphere.

Tapping oversees the operation of a 60-year-old radio telescope that he calls a "stethoscope for the sun." But he and his colleagues need better equipment.

In Canada, where radio-telescopic monitoring of the sun has been conducted since the end of World War II, a new instrument, the next-generation solar flux monitor, could measure the sun's emissions more rapidly and accurately.

As we have noted many times, perhaps the biggest impact on the Earth's climate over time has been the sun.

For instance, researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Solar Research in Germany report the sun has been burning more brightly over the last 60 years, accounting for the 1 degree Celsius increase in Earth's temperature over the last 100 years.

R. Timothy Patterson, professor of geology and director of the Ottawa-Carleton Geoscience Center of Canada's Carleton University, says that "CO2 variations show little correlation with our planet's climate on long, medium and even short time scales."

Rather, he says, "I and the first-class scientists I work with are consistently finding excellent correlations between the regular fluctuations of the sun and earthly climate. This is not surprising. The sun and the stars are the ultimate source of energy on this planet."

Patterson, sharing Tapping's concern, says: "Solar scientists predict that, by 2020, the sun will be starting into its weakest Schwabe cycle of the past two centuries, likely leading to unusually cool conditions on Earth."

"Solar activity has overpowered any effect that CO2 has had before, and it most likely will again," Patterson says. "If we were to have even a medium-sized solar minimum, we could be looking at a lot more bad effects than 'global warming' would have had."

In 2005, Russian astronomer Khabibullo Abdusamatov made some waves — and not a few enemies in the global warming "community" — by predicting that the sun would reach a peak of activity about three years from now, to be accompanied by "dramatic changes" in temperatures.

A Hoover Institution Study a few years back examined historical data and came to a similar conclusion.

"The effects of solar activity and volcanoes are impossible to miss. Temperatures fluctuated exactly as expected, and the pattern was so clear that, statistically, the odds of the correlation existing by chance were one in 100," according to Hoover fellow Bruce Berkowitz.

The study says that "try as we might, we simply could not find any relationship between industrial activity, energy consumption and changes in global temperatures."

The study concludes that if you shut down all the world's power plants and factories, "there would not be much effect on temperatures."

But if the sun shuts down, we've got a problem. It is the sun, not the Earth, that's hanging in the balance.
Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:19 pm 
last time here

investors business daily???? you gotta be kidding Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:18 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Algore ya gotta be kidding. Laughing Laughing
Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:49 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: