FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Is Obama's church racist?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
barak a racist??? dude, your really reaching.... Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you

The topic is is "Barack's church" racist not is Barack racist. I wasn't calling Barack a racist.

Like twotap was able to figure out if you switched the words black with white and corresponding African American nationalism with white "nationalism" phrases wouldn't the church be considered racist?
Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:51 pm 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
Ima gonna get lambasted for saying this, just because a person attends a church, doesn't mean that they adhere to all of the tenets set forth by the mission statement, like my church. The Episcopal Church seems to get lambasted for John Shelby Spong's theological statements, but I don't necessarily agree with him....just something to think about....dunno.

I would hope you wouldn't get blasted by saying this. I personally have no respect for anyone who allows a church (or government) dictate every facet of their personal opinions. Free thought would dictate that some of your viewpoints would very from the norm in any group you are part of... Sadly, I think some of these militant religious folks who've let common sense slip and blindly regurgitate ideas promoted by self-serving, self-promoted evangelists are the cause of most of the conflicts in society now, 100 years ago, 1000 years ago, ad infinitum....

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:57 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
You mean the guy the Libs tried to resurrect from the TV graveyard. Ya I saw it sort of a last big blast for old Phil on the No1 cable news talk show. Laughing

Marlo still telling him what to think?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

The sad thing is she was HOT ya gotta wonder how in the world she wound up with that Nerd.
Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:18 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

*******I would hope you wouldn't get blasted by saying this. I personally have no respect for anyone who allows a church (or government) dictate every facet of their personal opinions. Free thought would dictate that some of your viewpoints would very from the norm in any group you are part of... Sadly, I think some of these militant religious folks who've let common sense slip and blindly regurgitate ideas promoted by self-serving, self-promoted evangelists are the cause of most of the conflicts in society now, 100 years ago, 1000 years ago, ad infinitum....******

Dunno. Smile I am used to debating/speaking religious ideologies with people. Smile That's why I thought that I would get lambasted...particularly by those that adhere to the Word of Faith theology, which is also under the umbrella of the Prosperity Gospel/Theology movement, which is what I think you are alluding to.

I'll do some research on this Trinity United Church of Christ....hmm. Wink

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:24 pm 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

indeed andi

When you can't convert your government into a theocracy fast enough... convince people they are evil standing up for liberty & freedom Smile

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:10 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Nope, it would appear that even though it is a "mega church" they have what I consider Lutheran and Calvinistic overtones, with nary a hint of the Prosperity Gospel to be found.

The church that Barack attends is under the umbrella of the United Church of Christ. A lot of these parishes are "called", it would seem to provide more services to the greater community than the Prosperity Gospel which promotes, "If you proclaim it, you will claim it" in regards to monetary rewards which in turn proves that God surely blesses you.

Thanks for the goading me into finding this stuff out.

I consider the mission statement more indicative of sociological differences rather than the overall theological difference between denominations....my opinion.

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:19 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****When you can't convert your government into a theocracy fast enough... convince people they are evil standing up for liberty & freedom *****

I will be the first to stand in line to promote the government not interfering with religious choices or lack thereof, what ever a person decides to do for themselves NOT the government deciding what they deity they should choose to worship.

In order to understand where we don't want to go, we have to find out where our troubles, stemmed from.........Anglican/Puritan influences when this country was founded. Enhanced by the first Anglican Bishop in America, Bishop Seabury. (sp).

I'll stop but I could go on....I sound like I am preachin'....do I hear an amen?! ****crickets chirping**** Smile

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:26 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
I sound like I am preachin'....do I hear an amen?! ****crickets chirping**** Smile

Amen!!!

Link

My goodness I'm feeling mischievous tonight!!!

Last edited by FlintConservative on Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:29 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

A conservative, self proclaimed, with excerpts from South Park.....I'd say yes....Smile

As soon as I turned on the video that you just posted, I heard my hubby say, "Good Lord, woman, turn that thing off!!" Wink

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:34 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
A conservative, self proclaimed, with excerpts from South Park.....I'd say yes....Smile

As soon as I turned on the video that you just posted, I heard my hubby say, "Good Lord, woman, turn that thing off!!" Wink

Let's see...only tv I really enjoyed in my thirties was Beavis & Butthead. Watched Ren & Stimpy for a while. Only tv I enjoyed in my forties was (is) South Park and Family Guy. I'm warped.

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:38 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:39 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Might I suggest my personal favorite, "Courage the Cowardly Dog"? Smile

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:43 pm 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
quote:
andi03 schreef:
I sound like I am preachin'....do I hear an amen?! ****crickets chirping**** Smile

Amen!!!

Link

My goodness I'm feeling mischievous tonight!!!

OH, my, I'm tearing up over here.....

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:48 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Opp:

Do your ears hurt too?

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:14 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: