FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Journal offering early outs to about 100
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Not true. They're getting about 30k.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Mark Bonto
F L I N T O I D

Agree with Dave. $30-$40k.

Watch national award-winning “Comedy On Tap” Thursdays and Fridays at 8pm. Both on Comcast channel 17. Go to my website at: http://markbonto.com and listen to me, and see me live at The White Horse on the radio: Wednesdays 7-7:30am on WKUF 94.3 FM.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

That's great! How do you guys know this? Anybody else weigh in on this?

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:08 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Yeah, nobody but Dave Sharp is authorized to talk about it. You guys trying to get somebody sued?
Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:41 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

Hold the phone there, 00SL2.

That's my point - somebody is talking. And not just "a" somebody, a few of them. All FJ employees. The word from them is that the buyout figures are in that dollar range. I personally don't believe it. But they're the ones talking. If they get sued, it's because they';ve got big mouths and are spreading lies. My main contention for bringing it up was to ask everyone of they thought that was a believable figure. To me , it seems outrageous.

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:44 pm 
Smakutus
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Opinionated schreef:
Help - I need everybody to weigh in on this! Shocked I was told last night that these Journal workers each got buy-outs of like $300,000-$500,000, depending on how many years they had in. Shocked I find this very hard to believe! Laughing Is this true? Question

If they were giving out that kinda money their wouldn't be anyone left at the Flint Journal.

Jeff
Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:22 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Opinionated schreef:
That's my point - somebody is talking. And not just "a" somebody, a few of them. All FJ employees. The word from them is that the buyout figures are in that dollar range. I personally don't believe it. But they're the ones talking. If they get sued, it's because they';ve got big mouths and are spreading lies. My main contention for bringing it up was to ask everyone of they thought that was a believable figure. To me , it seems outrageous.
Well, if Flint Journal employees are providing you such "outrageous" figures about their own buyouts, it may be because you asked them such an outrageously personal question. On the other hand, if it's one FJ employee talking about another FJ employee's buyout, how would they know what the final figure is unless they had access to employee personnel files?

From the published news source quoted above: "Sharp declined an on-camera interview and added no one else at the Journal would be authorized to talk about it. The employees would be offered four weeks' pay for every year of service, plus paid medical benefits. Sharp says he has no target number of employees he's trying to buy out, but the process should be complete by Oct. 29."
Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:59 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

Right! Very Happy

Last edited by Opinionated on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:28 am 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Smakutus schreef:

If they were giving out that kinda money their wouldn't be anyone left at

That was exactly my point. Thanks, Jeff. Very Happy

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:28 am 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Well, if Flint Journal employees are providing you such "outrageous" figures about their own buyouts, it may be because you asked them such an outrageously personal question. On the other hand, if it's one FJ employee talking about another FJ employee's buyout, how would they know what the final figure is unless they had access to employee personnel files?

From the published news source quoted above: "Sharp declined an on-camera interview and added no one else at the Journal would be authorized to talk about it. The employees would be offered four weeks' pay for every year of service, plus paid medical benefits. Sharp says he has no target number of employees he's trying to buy out, but the process should be complete by Oct. 29."

First of all, 00SL2, who said that I asked them such an outrageously personal question? Question They offered that information. Were almost bragging about it (which is what made me think they weren't telling the truth). Also, you asked if it's one FJ employee talking about another FJ employee's buyout, how would they know what the final figure is unless they had access to employee personnel files? Are you kidding me - they talked! That's a no-brainer! Even if they're not authorized to talk about it, you'd be crazy to think employees don't do that "on the side." Especially between friends. This is the real world - people do that!

Where did you get that quote about sharp saying: The employees would be offered four weeks' pay for every year of service, plus paid medical benefits? That's why I asked the question - I'd like to get my hands on that.

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:40 am 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

One more thing. If an employee makes say $4,000 a month and they've been there over 25 years, that's over a hundred grand, with the paid medical benefits. True it's not 300-500k, but still a good chunk of change.

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:47 am 
Mark Bonto
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Well, if Flint Journal employees are providing you such "outrageous" figures about their own buyouts, it may be because you asked them such an outrageously personal question.

I definitely have to agree with Opinionated on this one, 00SL2. I ask outrageously personal questions all the time. Everyone has the right to tell me to outrageously get lost. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Watch national award-winning “Comedy On Tap” Thursdays and Fridays at 8pm. Both on Comcast channel 17. Go to my website at: http://markbonto.com and listen to me, and see me live at The White Horse on the radio: Wednesdays 7-7:30am on WKUF 94.3 FM.
Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Opinionated schreef:
Where did you get that quote about sharp saying: The employees would be offered four weeks' pay for every year of service, plus paid medical benefits? That's why I asked the question - I'd like to get my hands on that.
My source was FC's post http://www.flinttalk.com/post-21775.html#21775 which
referenced ABC12's news story of 10/15/07 with link:
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=5708569

Monday, October 15, 2007 | 6:24 PM
Newspaper business being hit hard by economy
By Joel Feick
FLINT (WJRT) -- (10/15/07)--
Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:30 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Just because the Journal never presented the full story of what Delphi, GM, or any other corporate buy-off schemes mean for workers, doesn't mean those ignored workers won't share some lessons learned with the Journal staff:

The Luck of the Short Straw, by Gregg Shotwell

Workers can't afford to save a lot of money when they are trying to raise a family, pay off a house, send children to college, and sponsor weddings. Most workers don't begin to really save for retirement until the children are grown and family obligations are taken care of.

So it isn't until their later years that workers can really afford to set aside much money for retirement. But the auto companies expect us to retire early and sacrifice those final years of maximum earnings without any compensation.

First, they say, “You’re lucky to have a job.” Then, they say, “You’re lucky to retire.”

But retirement at half the income is the luck of the short straw.

Headline: GM workers in Belgium don’t settle for less.

“On 1 July 2007, management reached an agreement with the trade unions on the redundancy settlement for the production workers. Some 1,200 workers over 50 years of age can take early retirement and retain between 82% and 89% of their last net wage. In addition, up to 750 workers will be made redundant. Workers who decide to leave the company voluntarily, having worked at the Antwerp factory for at least 25 years, can claim a maximum gross severance payment of €144,000.” ( 144,00 euros = 213,000 dollars at current exchange rates)
[ http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/eiro/2007/05/articles/be0705029i.htm ]

Apparently, GM treats European workers with more respect than American workers. Perhaps it’s because Europeans have real unions which conduct real strikes in response to company threats. When GM announced that the Antwerp, Belgium plant would not get a new car, workers fought back. Between April 17, 2007 and July 1, 2007 there were six work stoppages and/or strikes including a wildcat at the Antwerp GM plant, plus a three hour solidarity work stoppage by other European GM workers. It pays to fight back.

On top of the rich retirement packages Europeans have guaranteed health care. GM workers in America have a VEBA with co-pays, premiums, and deductibles that can only go up as new hires realize that they have no need to donate COLA diversions to a fund they will never benefit from.

Financial planners estimate that during retirement, you will need 80 – 100 percent of your current income to maintain the same standard of living. If the average GM worker could retire and retain 85% of their income (like GM workers in Belgium) that would equal approximately $53,000 a year, assuming a forty hour week. Given the state of the economy, the lack of decent jobs, the jeopardy of pension plans in the United States, and an underfunded health care plan run by the UAW, retirement looks like a pretty shaky proposition.

If you retire early and don’t have the advantage of earning, and therefore saving, during the final years of your career, you will need a substantial severance package. Unless, of course, you are willing to lower your standard of living 50% in the first year of retirement, and deflate from that point as the cost of taxes, insurance, utilities, and doctor appointments inflate.

If we don’t hear the money talk, we have no reason to walk away from a good paying job.

www.soldiersofsolidarity.com
www.factoryrat.com
www.futureoftheunion.com
Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:35 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Public D schreef:
If we don’t hear the money talk, we have no reason to walk away from a good paying job.

That's very true.

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:10 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: