FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Teacher Appreciation Week !
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic

Props out to all my fellow teachers in America, Michigan, and especially Flint !

Without each one of you.. this "thang" called education would not exist !

Let's remember the REAL difference makers are in the foxholes (classrooms), on the firing lines, and doing their jobs without contracts, substantial payraises (unlike Delphi and GM) and virtually no support from the community. It's always the teachers fault when little Johnny or Susie dropout or fail !

It's parents who sit and .. about the conditions of our schools, who .. about TOO much testing, who .. just to hear themself .. who make our job less than desirable.

Forget the politics, forget the millages, forget if your childs school isn't shiny and brand new. The real miracle workers are inside the trenchs each day delivering a message of hope to 30 smiling and eager children who don't care about the politics, if Milton were being audited, if Rutledge were the super, if their school didn't have shiny new windows or shiny new desks.

The majority of them are there to learn and they will if given the proper tools and they don't need to cost millions. Paper, pencil and a book will surffice.

Big shouts out to my homegirls and homeboys who work with our future each day !

Lastly, when you read this... thank a TEACHER ! that you can READ !
Post Mon May 08, 2006 9:29 am 
rapunzel

Point well taken, Teach.
Despite the slang and the swearing.
What a fine example you set!

The want to improve the learning environment is also in concern for the staff who spend more hours in the buildings than the students. Regardless, many thanks this week and every week of the year to educators.

Peace,
RAP
Post Mon May 08, 2006 9:21 pm 
flintteach
F L I N T O I D

And what are YOU doing to make a difference for Flint public school kids? Attending board meetings so you can complain about the alumni of Central? Degrading Milton every chance you get? Advocating that Flint Central close?

I imagine you're a gem !

My "slang" and swearing are a way of life. I am a great example for my kids in my classroom. I'm real life to them. They can relate to me because I've been there and I'm not FAKE and I don't pretend to be someone important or create riffs that will get you no where !

If you dislike the city schools so much and Uncle Miltie (as you say) then move to another city or school district.

Post Tue May 09, 2006 7:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
ellwoodflint

it takes everyones opinion to make this a balanced district. would you like to not be heard or have your opinions ignored...no
The matter of you being real is fine, but i would hope that you give our students a higher goal of reality than what you portray here with this. Your reality may not be mine and if my student is in your classroom, than you are not reaching all the students who need you.
you have an awesome responsibility, you should be ashamed of yourself to lower the expectations of parents and students alike with your behavior, that does not help anyone you say you are trying to help.
Behave...
Post Tue May 09, 2006 12:15 pm 
Adam

Although it is easy to take shots at Flint teach I think the other teachers that don't care as much about their students and Flint schools should be the ones we criticize.

I think it would be hard enough being a teacher in the Beverly Hills CA school district let alone Flint schools. Nobody's perfect but I wouldn't be surprised if Flint teach is better than the majority of our teachers.

Adam Ford
Post Tue May 09, 2006 12:26 pm 
flintteach
F L I N T O I D

I'm not better.. maybe just a little more perceptive on the reality of life when it comes to my students. Why? Because I am one of the few teachers at Central who grew up in Flint and grew up black and poor ! I can relate to what my kids are going through and I always make light of the situation. Meaning.. I joke about Bridge cards, whoopties, spinners, and big dogs that blacks are deathly afraid of. You wouldn't understand unless you experienced it firsthand like myself and sit in my classroom 5 hours a week. I have a great rapport with my students (all colors) and they know I mean business.

I try and make learning fun. I try and make science fun. I try and make school fun. Why? Because I know I'm the one person who can make these kids forget about the ills of their homelife and hoods. I blaze on my kids and take the blazing right back, LOL. I let them use my video camera for a project we did and they were video taping my shoes and said.. ole' boy has had the same shoes all year, LOL. These kids know I'm for real and I don't pretend to have their best interest at heart. Cuz they know I DO !

I could teach anywhere but I chose a Flint school because I knew I could make a difference there. Don't think for 1 minute I need to behave because what you see is what you get with me. I don't put on an act for anyone.

And don't think for one minute when I see my seniors in their caps and gowns in a few weeks I won't have to wear my sunglasses to hide my tears. Don't think for 1 minute that I don't bring in fruit and hound a freshmen girl who is pregnant about good nutrition. Don't think she doesn't know I care about her health and education like she were my own. Don't think I don't adjust grades for that 1 student who has shown improvement through the year so they can feel good about themself for a few minutes. So the sun can shine down on them !

My classroom is always open for my kids ! And I behave how I want whenever I'm in it.

Post Tue May 09, 2006 1:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

if i didnt respect flintteach i wouldnt try to make him think. i ask questions as much as i give opinions, that is how things work.. mr flintteach knows im not slammin' him
and by the way adam, is there any rear end here you haven't smootched yet?
Post Tue May 09, 2006 2:24 pm 
Adam

Certainly not yours. There's a lot of people like you that like to criticize. Sometimes i get sick of it. If you want to pick fights go ahead. I'm sure I can find something to criticize you for if I knew who the heck you are other than someone that likes to pick fights with Flint teachers. Maybe you should get in the classroom yourself if you really cared about Flint students. Do you do any volunteer work in Flint schools? Probably not. I'm not the type of person to back down particularly from idiots like you.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 11:35 am 
ellwoodflint

i was just playing with you for goodness sakes
and if you know who i am you should know that i live and breath these schools
sorry you took it wrong..

kathy
Post Wed May 10, 2006 2:29 pm 
rapunzel

Adam, kathy was teasing not picking fights. She volunteers many hours in Flint school classrooms. Like she says, she asks questions of teachers, supports them in school and at the board. She will be the first to advocate for a teacher and calm down an irate parent that may not understand how or why an action was taken. She was a very strong mediator between two groups of teachers when Coty was consolidated with McKinley.

Now Kathy could have led a charge against the closing of McKinley and had parents hanging off the rafters at Sarvis but she chose not to. She is a better person than I.

SEIU and The Journal both supported her for school board. She lost to Hatter by a slim margin largely because she did not actively campaign. (her campaign manager was terrible!) Hatter is a good board member ...he has a close eye on the spending. The board is much stronger than it was a few years ago. The pendulum swings far.

Note:
I have never referred to this Superintendent as anything other than Milton or the Wizard of Oz- never "uncle" or even DR.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 7:13 pm 
ELLWOODFLINT

tHERE IS NOTHING i WOULDNT DO FOR MY KIDS , ALL OF THEM...
I am sorry Adam...

But your pretty cute when youre angry, LOL
Post Thu May 11, 2006 2:54 pm 
Adam

That's fine. My apologies. I was kind of playing around too. I won't hesitate to go into attack mode though. I don't really have a problem with anyone here but as far as our jobs and crime situations go there are things that really do tick me off. I'm actually quite riled up to tell the truth. Although it seems like a lot of people seem to think Flint just naturally gets run into the ground. I beg to differ. If you guys bother to watch the city council meetings you might see one fiesty Republican going at it in the coming months. The likes of which this city may never have seen, even in our Republican days.

Adam Ford
Post Fri May 12, 2006 11:57 am 
ellwoodflint

I vote for what I believe in, not what party you belong to. I never have understood why people would compromise their own beliefs for the sake of a party (not you adam) im just saying, we see it happen every day, why?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease, sometimes they are thrown out, if youve watched recent Rumsfeld interviews. I guess the secret, is to know when to squeak and when not to.
Post Sat May 13, 2006 1:34 pm 
flintteach
F L I N T O I D

Because people can't think on their own, and when they do.. you are ridiculed and considered an anarchist.

It's like this.. just because I'm black and a teacher I'm suppose to vote excusively DEMOCRAT ! And when I don't.. I'm considered a bad person who doesn't care for my students nor my profession !

Post Sat May 13, 2006 2:45 pm 
ellwoodflint

thats another thing, flintteach brings up. your personal votes should never be an excuse to to be ridiculed at the profession you choose.
all this does is promote racism at all levels, color, gender and economic.
Our board of education likes to use the race card alot. I work with these kids everyday. They have no racism in there hearts. how are they being taught this terrible crime, by the politicians and adults that are of influence around them.
Just like flint teach is judged as a "black" teacher, i guess im judged as a middle class white woman. Im told i couldnt possibly understand. people dont know me and its difficult to hear there excuses for what they throw into the ring.
Parties in government do nothing more than split this country with opinions. I do not feel they are worth having, we should have platforms with educators that bring the facts to the people and let them decide from there.
we should also have a spell check on this forum for me lol
Post Sun May 14, 2006 4:24 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: