FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Ryan Eashoo in The Flint Journal, again!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bits, pieces of Flint's history fill collection of young resident
FLINT THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION Saturday, December 29, 2007By Rose Mary Reizrreiz@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6353

Ryan Eashoo is a sucker for any fragile thing that's survived despite the odds - including a stray gray kitten, antique milk bottles and the beleaguered city of Flint.

"I'm a caretaker," Eashoo, 27, said from the kitchen of his 101-year-old Flint home. "I feel it's my obligation to preserve all of this."

"All of this" includes an elegantly restored Fourth Avenue home and an impressive collection of Flint and Genesee County memorabilia, the focus of which are World War II-era milk bottles, caps and crates.

"To find a glass bottle this old with the paint intact is amazing," Eashoo said, cradling a bottle painted with the slogan, "War bonds for victory, milk for strength."

Eashoo's collection of more than 400 Genesee County milk bottles and 5,000 bottle caps chronicles the area's rich history in the dairy industry.

The collection includes brand names famous and forgotten - Model, Nelson's, Davison, Arctic, McDonald, Rylea, Cloverleaf, Flint Sanitary and Freeman dairies.

The bottles reflect a simpler time when milk was produced on local farms and delivered daily to porches and milk chutes.

"My grandparents used to live near Potter School," Eashoo said, "and the dairy delivery man would walk right in their house and put the milk in their refrigerator."

Eashoo was born in Flint. His parents moved to Davison when he was 6 years old.

"But Flint always intrigued me," he said.

"It had such a history. My grandpa used to work at Buick. I'd go on the factory tours and listen to stories about how downtown used to be."

His teenage friends didn't always understand Eashoo's fascination with history and architecture, or his passion for preservation.

"They thought it was dorky," he said. "People still don't get it."

That didn't stop Eashoo from joining other high school students in "Students to Save AutoWorld," an effort to save the ill-fated Flint theme park.

At age 17, Eashoo bought a dilapidated home in the Carriage Town Neighborhood for $100, a move for which he joked he was "nearly disowned" by his parents.

But one year, $40,000 and "tons of sweat equity" later, he resold the home for $96,000.

It's little wonder Eashoo became a real estate agent. He works for the ReMax Real Estate Team in Davison, where he is a convincing and successful advocate of Flint area real estate.

"I show people homes in Flint and they ask, 'Where do you live?' I say, 'Let me show you my house.'"

Gleaming woodwork, restored tin ceilings and cozy fireplaces grace Eashoo's 13-room home. Flint and Genesee County memorabilia - AutoWorld glasses, a 1930s dining room plate from the Durant Hotel - rest on tables and windowsills.

The home's latest addition is a 6-week-old gray kitten, Emma, who was abandoned in the neighborhood and now sleeps curled in a blanket in a spare room.

Page 3 of 3
"I never plan on moving out of Flint," Eashoo said. "I'm a self-described Flint nut. When people ask me, 'Why do you live in Flint?' I ask them, 'When's the last time you were at Crossroads, the Buick Open, the Flint Art Fair, the Crim?

"People don't utilize what they have here. Flint has all this history, and we need to embrace it the way other cities do. It's a mindset."

Eashoo is known locally as an earnest, energetic Flint advocate. He's served as president of the Carriage Town Neighborhood Association and as a member of the Flint Board of Education and Flint Historic District Commission.

He's been active in an unsuccessful attempt to induct filmmaker Michael Moore in the Davison High School Hall of Fame.

"I just think we need to be positive about marketing ourselves," he said.

"If Michael Moore is from Flint, you push Michael Moore. There are so many things here that you never see on CNN - the Crim, the beautiful homes, the FIA renovation. We need to do a better job at marketing Flint."

This spring, Eashoo was involved in the local filming of the movie, "Semi-Pro," scheduled for release next year.

A building Eashoo owns on King Avenue was used as The Kremlin, a bar owned by Will Ferrell's character in the movie.

"My interests have always been eclectic - my music, my political tastes, the way my home is set up," Eashoo said.

"I like a little of everything. Mostly, I love anything that has to do with Flint. It's an addiction. I probably need to be in a support group for it."

http://www.mlive.com/flint/stories/index.ssf?/base/features-0/119890561953380.xml&coll=5&thispage=1

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
greengal5874
F L I N T O I D

Good Work Ryan! Just stop talking about michael moore.

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:15 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

Ditto, green gal. Wink Wink Wink

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:26 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Great article, Ryan!

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:16 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

thanks Mr. Flinn! I know you are a big flint history buff and you proably have everything I have. But if you ever need anything for your articles, if I can help you please let me know. I have about 4000 flint/genesee county postcards.

quote:
Flinn's Journal schreef:
Great article, Ryan!

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Does attending the first Buick Open count, Ryan?
Watched Sam Snead, Tommy Bolt, Carey Middlecoff, and some kid named Palmer.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Yes it does Dave, actually I have been trying to put a complete Buick Open Program set together. Anyone have any old ones they don't want anymore???

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

My first Open was 1969...ya got a few years on me Dave.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:26 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

FC ur still a youngin. i have the 1969 program, very cool articles and ads in it.

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:27 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I think she did a nice job on the article, she was a amazing person to talk to. However, I noticed they put in their I served on the flint school board, when it should of said "I ran for the flint school board". I called her and asked her to do a correction

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:
Bits, pieces of Flint's history fill collection of young resident
FLINT THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION Saturday, December 29, 2007By Rose Mary Reizrreiz@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6353

Ryan Eashoo is a sucker for any fragile thing that's survived despite the odds - including a stray gray kitten, antique milk bottles and the beleaguered city of Flint.

"I'm a caretaker," Eashoo, 27, said from the kitchen of his 101-year-old Flint home. "I feel it's my obligation to preserve all of this."

"All of this" includes an elegantly restored Fourth Avenue home and an impressive collection of Flint and Genesee County memorabilia, the focus of which are World War II-era milk bottles, caps and crates.

"To find a glass bottle this old with the paint intact is amazing," Eashoo said, cradling a bottle painted with the slogan, "War bonds for victory, milk for strength."

Eashoo's collection of more than 400 Genesee County milk bottles and 5,000 bottle caps chronicles the area's rich history in the dairy industry.

The collection includes brand names famous and forgotten - Model, Nelson's, Davison, Arctic, McDonald, Rylea, Cloverleaf, Flint Sanitary and Freeman dairies.

The bottles reflect a simpler time when milk was produced on local farms and delivered daily to porches and milk chutes.

"My grandparents used to live near Potter School," Eashoo said, "and the dairy delivery man would walk right in their house and put the milk in their refrigerator."

Eashoo was born in Flint. His parents moved to Davison when he was 6 years old.

"But Flint always intrigued me," he said.

"It had such a history. My grandpa used to work at Buick. I'd go on the factory tours and listen to stories about how downtown used to be."

His teenage friends didn't always understand Eashoo's fascination with history and architecture, or his passion for preservation.

"They thought it was dorky," he said. "People still don't get it."

That didn't stop Eashoo from joining other high school students in "Students to Save AutoWorld," an effort to save the ill-fated Flint theme park.

At age 17, Eashoo bought a dilapidated home in the Carriage Town Neighborhood for $100, a move for which he joked he was "nearly disowned" by his parents.

But one year, $40,000 and "tons of sweat equity" later, he resold the home for $96,000.

It's little wonder Eashoo became a real estate agent. He works for the ReMax Real Estate Team in Davison, where he is a convincing and successful advocate of Flint area real estate.

"I show people homes in Flint and they ask, 'Where do you live?' I say, 'Let me show you my house.'"

Gleaming woodwork, restored tin ceilings and cozy fireplaces grace Eashoo's 13-room home. Flint and Genesee County memorabilia - AutoWorld glasses, a 1930s dining room plate from the Durant Hotel - rest on tables and windowsills.

The home's latest addition is a 6-week-old gray kitten, Emma, who was abandoned in the neighborhood and now sleeps curled in a blanket in a spare room.

Page 3 of 3
"I never plan on moving out of Flint," Eashoo said. "I'm a self-described Flint nut. When people ask me, 'Why do you live in Flint?' I ask them, 'When's the last time you were at Crossroads, the Buick Open, the Flint Art Fair, the Crim?

"People don't utilize what they have here. Flint has all this history, and we need to embrace it the way other cities do. It's a mindset."

Eashoo is known locally as an earnest, energetic Flint advocate. He's served as president of the Carriage Town Neighborhood Association and as a member of the Flint Board of Education and Flint Historic District Commission.

He's been active in an unsuccessful attempt to induct filmmaker Michael Moore in the Davison High School Hall of Fame.

"I just think we need to be positive about marketing ourselves," he said.

"If Michael Moore is from Flint, you push Michael Moore. There are so many things here that you never see on CNN - the Crim, the beautiful homes, the FIA renovation. We need to do a better job at marketing Flint."

This spring, Eashoo was involved in the local filming of the movie, "Semi-Pro," scheduled for release next year.

A building Eashoo owns on King Avenue was used as The Kremlin, a bar owned by Will Ferrell's character in the movie.

"My interests have always been eclectic - my music, my political tastes, the way my home is set up," Eashoo said.

"I like a little of everything. Mostly, I love anything that has to do with Flint. It's an addiction. I probably need to be in a support group for it."

http://www.mlive.com/flint/stories/index.ssf?/base/features-0/119890561953380.xml&coll=5&thispage=1

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:30 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

FC ur still a youngin. i have the 1969 program, very cool articles and ads in it.

Not compared to you! What I wouldn't give to be 27 again. My memory is going...my recollection is that Tom Weiskopf won in 1968 (which put him on the cover of the 1969 program). I can't remember who won in 1969.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:31 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Hmmm I don't know but I will look for you...

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:54 pm 
kaypurdue

Nice article... glad to see someone out there advocating for our big little city Smile
Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:20 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Hmmm I don't know but I will look for you...

I found it...Weiskopf in 68, Dave Hill in 69. I didn't get to see the end. I was trying to wake up my passed out drunk old man. (I was 10)
Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:26 pm 
last time here

hey FC..have a great new year..your a tough opponent.....
Super Super Super Super Super Super Super Super

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:14 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: