FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: OMG, Look how close we were...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I read this today and it's exactly the sort of thing that makes me: A) suspicious of federal government, B) fiercely protective of our right to bear arms, and C) paranoid about how close we are to losing our rights.

http://www.slate.com/id/2180929/entry/2180930/

Unbelievable.
Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:42 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
fiercely protective of our right to bear arms,

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:45 pm 
last time here

A Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:35 pm 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

We are almost there again my friends...

http://gazettextra.com/news/2007/dec/17/pro-constitution-clearly-shows-right--bear-arms-ap/

Depending on when & how they hear/rule on this... it could get ugly!

As I've always said:

When they come for my gun, I'm giving them the ammunition first...

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:00 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Demeralda,

I knew that there was a reason I liked you posting here.....you read Slate, also!! Smile

Andi

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:25 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

J. Edgar was a scary guy. Read "Official and Confidential: The Secret Life of J. Edgar Hoover" some time. I was surprised to learn he was the "wife" in his relationship with Clyde Tolson.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:28 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
We are almost there again my friends...

http://gazettextra.com/news/2007/dec/17/pro-constitution-clearly-shows-right--bear-arms-ap/

Depending on when & how they hear/rule on this... it could get ugly!

And one of the main reasons I why I voted for Bush 2 times. An Algore Or Kerry presidency would have allowed them to appoint antigun leftist judges to the supreme court. How do you suppose the upcoming ruling would have turned out.
Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:05 am 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

quote:

And one of the main reasons I why I voted for Bush 2 times. An Algore Or Kerry presidency would have allowed them to appoint antigun leftist judges to the supreme court. How do you suppose the upcoming ruling would have turned out.

We both know how that could have turned out.... (this is one of the reason I'm campaigning for Dr. Ron Paul) I like my guns, but I also like my privacy, safety, sovereignty, paycheck, and hope my children can enjoy America too.

Wink

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:18 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Opprimo, I'm with you. What are you doing for Ron Paul? Will it be over by him by the time we reach the Michigan primary?

And Andi, you totally rock. Jodys unite!
Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:20 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Sorry, one more thing.

I don't know of any big cases where the second amendment has come up in front of the court. So I'm not sure what your worries are founded on.

There's not one "leftist" judge on the bench. Frankly, there should be.

But while you worry needlessly about the loss of your gun, I *am* losing my reproductive rights because of the righty wackos there. As I've mentioned in previous posts, Roberts had the audacity to say that he was saving women from themselves because they weren't informed enough to decide. Paraphrasing, but you get the drift.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:23 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

How are you losing reproductive rights? Is someone denying you the right to have children?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Demeralda!!!!

Ohhh, the reproductive right issues........you brought it up and will watch and take some lessons from you, I have a feeling that I could learn from you. Smile This board is very, very conservative pertaining to this kind of thing and I don't know if we are in the minority or not as women posting here with the same points of views concerning reproductive rights.

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:54 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
But while you worry needlessly about the loss of your gun, I *am* losing my reproductive rights because of the righty wackos there.

Have you by any chance read where Mr Paul stands on that issue. No lib supremes where did you come up with that one. Does the name Ginsburg ring a bell. How about Souter and just what have the supremes done to make you lose your reproductive rights?????? Confused Confused In case you are not aware of whats going on the world of the second ammendment heres a quick update.
Justices To Rule On D.C. Gun Ban
2nd Amendment Case Could Affect Laws Nationwide

By Robert Barnes
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 21, 2007; Page A01

The Supreme Court announced yesterday that it will determine whether the District of Columbia's strict firearms law violates the Constitution, a decision that will raise the politically and culturally divisive issue of gun control just in time for the 2008 elections.

The court's examination of the meaning of the Second Amendment for the first time in nearly 70 years carries broad implications for gun-control measures locally and across the country.
The Supreme Court announced yesterday that it will determine whether the District of Columbia's strict firearms law violates the Constitution, a decision that will raise the politically and culturally divisive issue of gun control just in time for the 2008 elections.

The court's examination of the meaning of the Second Amendment for the first time in nearly 70 years carries broad implications for gun-control measures locally and across the country.

The District has the nation's most restrictive law, essentially banning private handgun ownership and requiring that rifles and shotguns kept in private homes be unloaded and disassembled or outfitted with a trigger lock. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit declared it unconstitutional last year, becoming the first appeals court to overturn a gun-control law because of the Second Amendment.

For years, legal scholars, historians and grammarians have debated the meaning of the amendment because of its enigmatic wording and odd punctuation: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Gun-rights proponents say the words guarantee the right of an individual to possess firearms. Gun-control supporters say the words convey only a civic or "collective" right to own guns as part of service in an organized military organization. The Bush administration said in 2002 that it supports the individual-rights position.

Robert A. Levy, a scholar at the libertarian Cato Institute who has spent years planning a challenge that would reach the Supreme Court, called the court's decision to take the case "good news for all Americans who would like to be able to defend themselves where they live and sleep."

"And it's especially good news for residents of Washington, D.C., which has been the murder capital of the nation despite an outright ban on all functional firearms since 1976," he said.

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) has said the District's up-and-down homicide rate would have been higher without the ban, and that the law is a locally supported move to protect police officers, children and other victims of gun violence.

"It's the will of the people of the District of Columbia that has to be respected," Fenty said at a news conference with D.C. Attorney General Linda Singer and several D.C. Council members. "We should have the right to make our own decisions."

He added: "We believe the U.S. Constitution is on our side."

The two sides proposed competing constitutional questions, so the court wrote its own, saying it would determine whether provisions of the District's law "violate the Second Amendment rights of individuals who are not affiliated with any state-regulated militia, but who wish to keep handguns and other firearms for private use in their homes." The court will probably hear the case in March.

The court's last examination of the amendment was in 1939, when it ruled in U.S. v. Miller that a sawed-off shotgun transported across state lines by a bootlegger was not what the amendment's authors had in mind when they were protecting arms needed for military service.

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:01 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
This board is very, very conservative pertaining to this kind of thing and I don't know if we are in the minority or not as women posting here with the same points of views concerning reproductive rights.
Why don't you start a poll in a new thread? You might be surprised. Smile
Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:01 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

OOSL......I thought that you were male.... Smile Smile <teasing>

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:08 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: