FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Robert Mercier Fights for Recess

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-48/119839440958450.xml&coll=5

FLINT - Last school year, while still in elementary school, Robert Mercier, 12, joined with some friends to launch a petition drive to try to save recess.

Now, he's a seventh-grader at Whittier Middle School and that means no more recess.

That's OK. He's not giving up.

"The other kids who are still there need it," said Robert, his cheeks rosy from sledding.

Robert collected 262 signatures on petitions to try to persuade the state's politicians to pass into law a proposal that would require schools to exercise kids' bodies and their brains every day, at least in elementary school.

After The Flint Journal featured Robert in April, he got a personal meeting with state Sen. John J. Gleason, D-Flushing, to present his petitions. Television cameras surrounded them during the presentation at Doyle-Ryder Elementary School.

"I didn't think it would get that much attention," Robert said.

Robert also told the senator he'd be happy to testify in front of lawmakers to tell them exactly why the new law is necessary.

He hasn't had the chance, though.

Lawmakers have not voted, had any hearings or taken any action on the proposal - which would have required elementary schools to make students get active at least 30 minutes a day or 135 minutes a week. State Sen. Deborah Cherry, D-Burton, introduced the bill.

"I learned about the process. It doesn't just go straight through," Robert said.

He still thinks the issue is important - saying he concentrated better and stayed more focused on days he exercised - and plans to keep trying to convince lawmakers to do something about it.

"Rob always has a very insightful way to approach a problem," said Julie Harris, Robert's orchestra and band teacher. "Rob's going to be president.

"No. No, he's not -he's going to be a cabinet member because you can get more done that way."

Robert credits his political activism to his mothers, Lucy Mercier and Linda Campbell. They've always been involved and so it just seems natural to him.

"My parents are so involved in stuff," Robert said.

And, even while lawmakers sit on the recess proposal, Robert has stayed active: serving as co-organizer of his church's youth group, helping to paint a women's shelter and organizing a fundraiser (a skateboarding demonstration) to put in a basketball hoop at church.

"I just see a problem and I think, 'I should fix that,'" he said.
Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:49 pm 
last time here

gleason = cameras. Nasty

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:29 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: