FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: congrats flint & sheriff !!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
last time here

i salute both you and your wife... Applause Applause Applause Applause

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:08 pm 
Gumby
F L I N T O I D

Twotap you asked for a primary prevention program that has been proven successful and I gave you one then you back peddel with some BS about we aren't talking about that, blah blah blah.

I will look for more examples. I don't have a list next to my computer.

And to Dave, I am really sorry to hear about what happened to your wife. What a completely senseless act of violence.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:59 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I believe the only BS being spread is how successful Headstart has been at preventing future criminals from becoming future criminals.

quote:
Ok first off an example of primary pevention that works
... Head Start , it has been proven time and again to be effective.

OK, once again what has Headstart been proven effective at since I thought we were talking about crime prevention programs but apparently you are talking about something else. Confused

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:33 am 
Gumby
F L I N T O I D

Did you even look at the link I provided?
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:41 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Yes I did and for every link you find that claims it to be such a success you can find one to dispute those findings. I would say that the huge increase in crime amongst youths since the 60s may lead one to lean more towrads the failure side.

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:01 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Like the DARE program?
I know a local Police Lieutenant, & he said the only thing DARE does is provide funds to the PD. It does nothing to reduce drug use.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

The idea that their might a federal program that will somehow replace two parents raising a child in the proper manner is a starry eyed dream and will never be found. But of course they will keep saying if we only had a few more dollars and keep Reading "It Takes A Village" Rolling Eyes

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:28 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Like the DARE program? ...local Police Lieutenant ... said the only thing DARE does
is provide funds to the PD. It does nothing to reduce drug use.
Does that Lieutenant help teach the program? Ask if they're using this:

"New D.A.R.E. students of 2004 are getting to see for themselves -- via
stunning brain imagery -- tangible proof of how substances diminish
mental activity, emotions, coordination and movement.
Mock courtroom
exercises are bringing home the social and legal consequences of drug use
and violence."

Source: http://www.dare.com/home/newdareprogram.asp
Accessed: December 30, 2007
---------------------
Check out the home page http://www.dare.com/home/default.asp .
There's a lot of good information there! It's pathetic that anyone on the
police force would be a naysayer for this educational program.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:45 pm 
last time here

aw heck dbl.OH...i imagine a lieutenant is capable of being as negative
as anyone else. that only proves the guy is not trying to help. i'm sure
he gets paid well though!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:52 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Not a Flint cop. He said the officers teaching it never say evidence it worked.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

well, there will always be neysayers... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:24 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well, heres the latest drug they can warn the kids about.
DALLAS, Texas (CNN) -- A cheap, highly addictive drug known as "cheese heroin" has killed 21 teenagers in the Dallas area over the past two years, and authorities say they are hoping they can stop the fad before it spreads across the nation.

"Cheese heroin" is a blend of so-called black tar Mexican heroin and crushed over-the-counter medications that contain the antihistamine diphenhydramine, found in products such as Tylenol PM, police say. The sedative effects of the heroin and the nighttime sleep aids make for a deadly brew.

"A double whammy -- you're getting two downers at once," says Dallas police detective Monty Moncibais. "If you take the body and you start slowing everything down, everything inside your body, eventually you're going to slow down the heart until it stops and, when it stops, you're dead." (Audio slide show: A father describes his teen son's death)

Steve Robertson, a special agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration in Washington, says authorities are closely monitoring the use of "cheese" in Dallas.

Trying to keep the drug from spreading to other cities, the DEA is working with Dallas officials to raise public awareness about the problem. Authorities also are trying to identify the traffickers, Robertson says.

"We are concerned about any drug trend that is new because we want to stop it," he says.

Why should a parent outside Dallas care about what's happening there?

Robertson says it's simple: The ease of communication via the Internet and cell phones allows a drug trend to spread rapidly across the country.

"A parent in New York should be very concerned about a drug trend in Dallas, a drug trend in Kansas City, a drug trend anywhere throughout the United States," he says.

Middle schoolers acknowledge 'cheese'
"Cheese" is not only dangerous. It's cheap. About $2 for a single hit and as little as $10 per gram. The drug can be snorted with a straw or through a ballpoint pen, authorities say. It causes drowsiness and lethargy, as well as euphoria, excessive thirst and disorientation. That is, if the user survives. (Interactive: What is "cheese"? )

Authorities aren't exactly sure how the drug got its name "cheese." It's most likely because the ground-up, tan substance looks like Parmesan cheese. The other theory is it's shorthand for the Spanish word "chiva," which is street slang for heroin.

By using the name "cheese," drug dealers are marketing the low-grade heroin to a younger crowd -- many of them middle schoolers -- unaware of its potential dangers, authorities say.

"These are street dealers, dope dealers," Moncibais recently warned students at Sam Tasby Middle School. "They give you a lethal dose. What do they care?"

Moncibais then asked how many students knew a "cheese" user. Just about everyone in the auditorium raised a hand. At one point, when he mentioned that the United States has the highest rate of drug users in the world, the middle schoolers cheered. (Watch middle schoolers raise hands, admit they know drug users )

"You know, I know being No. 1 is important, but being the No. 1 dopeheads in the world, I don't know whether [that] bears applause," Moncibais shot back.

Authorities say the number of arrests involving possession of "cheese" in the Dallas area this school year was 146, up from about 90 the year before. School is out for the summer, and authorities fear that the students, with more time on their hands, could turn to the drug.

'Cheese' as common a problem as pot
School officials and police have been holding assemblies, professional lectures, PTA meetings and classroom discussions to get the word out about the drug. A public service announcement made by Dallas students is airing on local TV, and a hotline number has been created for those seeking assistance.

Drug treatment centers in Dallas say teen "cheese" addicts are now as common as those seeking help for a marijuana addiction. "It is the first drug to have even come close in my experience here," says Michelle Hemm, director of Phoenix House in Dallas.

From September 2005 to September 2006, Phoenix House received 69 "cheese" referral calls from parents. Hemm says that in the last eight months alone, that number has nearly doubled to 136. The message from the parents is always, "My kid is using 'cheese,' " she says.

Phoenix House refers them to detoxification units first, but Hemm says at least 62 teens have received additional treatment at her facility since last September.

Fernando Cortez Sr. knows all too well how devastating cheese heroin can be. A reformed drug user who has spent time in prison, Cortez had spoken to his children about the pitfalls of drug use. He thought his 15-year-old son was on the right track.

But on March 31, his boy, Fernando "Nando" Cortez Jr., was found dead after using cheese heroin.

"I should have had a better talk with him," he says. "All it takes is once. You get high once and you die, and that's what happened to my son."

He knows it's too late for his son. Now, he is using his son's story to help others.

"All I can do is try to help people now. Help the kids, help the parents."

CNN.com senior producer Wayne Drash contributed to this report.

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:17 am 
Gumby
F L I N T O I D

Please provide a link disputing the effectiveness of Head Start, I would love to see who funds them and what their methodology was.

Please no anecdotal evidence, you can always find someone who nothing works on them.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:01 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

No link, just what I heard from an out-county police lieutenant who was involved in the DARE program.

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:13 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well heres one from the Cato Institute. Now how about some factual evidence from you on how much 40 years of HeadStart has lowered dropout rates and kept the dropouts from becoming punks.
It's Time to Stop Head Start

by Darcy Ann Olsen

Anniversaries have a way of prompting us to reflect on where we've been and where we're going. Thirty-five years ago this summer, the first group of children graduated from the newly adopted Head Start program. At this point in time, should we look forward to another 35 years of Head Start or, instead, reconsider the wisdom of this longtime program?

President Lyndon Johnson told audiences, "Children are inheritors of poverty's curse and not its creators…. We set out to make certain that poverty's children would not be forevermore poverty's captives." With seven major objectives--improve the child's physical health, help the child's emotional and social development, improve the child's mental processes, establish expectations of success, increase the child's ability to relate positively to family, develop in the child and his family a responsible attitude toward society, and increase the sense of dignity and self-worth of the child and his family--Head Start raised a high bar that, in retrospect, doomed it to failure before it even began.

Clearly Head Start has not stopped poverty in its tracks. Not surprisingly, the program's goals have become less ambitious over time. Head Start now has the overall goal of "increasing the school readiness of young children in low-income families," according to the Head Start bureau. Yet studies show that Head Start has not been able to meet even this boiled-down expectation.

In 1985 the Department of Health and Human Services undertook the first meta-analysis of Head Start research and shook the establishment with its dire findings: "In the long run, cognitive and socioemotional test scores of former Head Start students do not remain superior to those of disadvantaged children who did not attend Head Start." In other words, Head Start was a false start--the net gain to children was zero.

But the establishment has clung to the study's remnants: although gains were not maintained over time, some children had experienced short-term boosts. This, they argued, was Head Start's job. If schools couldn't maintain gains, that reflected a problem with the schools, not the program. That certainly sounds reasonable. But, it's also reasonable for people to question Head Start's utility. If students test the same with or without Head Start after a year or two, what's the point of sending them through the program in the first place?

The most recent and thorough analysis of Head Start was conducted by the non-partisan General Accounting Office in 1997. After reviewing more than 600 citations, manuscripts, and studies, GAO concluded, "The body of research on current Head Start is insufficient to draw conclusions about the impact of the national program."

In a sense, the GAO is right: sloppy study designs and amateur methodological errors so riddle the literature that any claims about the success or failure of the program are not convincing. Given that, one might suggest that more research is needed before giving up on the program. On the other hand, one might also look for guidance from other programs that bear a striking resemblance to Head Start. On this, findings are conclusive: early intervention programs can boost children's test scores, but those gains wash out within a few years of exiting the programs.

Despite evidence that preschool programs do little for children, both presidential contenders are reluctant to let go of Head Start. Instead, George W. Bush supports changing Head Start into an early reading and numeracy program, and Al Gore suggests pouring an additional $1 billion into the program. Both ideas are senseless: thirty-five years, $44 billion, and 17 million children have passed through the Head Start gates since 1965. By any reasonable standard, that's more than enough time and resources to create a successful program, if that were possible.

To make matters worse, it seems that politicians have learned little from experience with Head Start and a host of other early interventions. The hottest issue bubbling up is "universal preschool." As Vice President Al Gore put it in his nomination acceptance speech, "This nation was a pioneer of universal public education. Now, let's set a specific new goal for the first decade of the 21st century: high-quality, universal pre-school, available to every child in every family, all across this nation." In other words, Gore wants government schools entrusted with educating every 3- and 4-year-old in the country.

Gore clings to the notion that preschool improves children's early school performance which, in turn, improves later school performance. "Quality preschool can lead to higher IQs, higher reading and achievement levels, higher graduation rates and greater success in the workplace," says Gore, echoing President Johnson's early optimism. Of course the difference today is: we know better.

Consider the views of child-development scholar Edward Zigler, a founder of Head Start. As far back as 1987, when educators were debating the merits of universal preschool, he warned, "This is not the first time universal preschool education has been proposed…[In the past], as now, the arguments in favor of preschool education were that it would reduce school failure, lower dropout rates, increase test scores, and produce a generation of more competent high school graduates….Preschool education will achieve none of these results."

What Zigler recognized is that a child's academic and personal growth turn on a lot more than preschool. Family, natural abilities, neighborhood, and life experiences easily outweigh the influence of preschool. Preschools may teach children how to count, follow directions, and get along; Zigler himself favors universal preschool as a means to achieve school readiness. But preschool alone, like Head Start alone, confers no lasting advantage. To put all children on an equal footing would require genetic engineering, surrogate parents, and for many kids, home away from home.

Underlying moves for more government preschool programs is the mistaken idea that today's preschoolers aren't prepared for kindergarten. The quiet truth is that 70 percent of preschool-aged children already attend preschools, and the gap in participation rates between preschoolers from high- and low-income families has narrowed from 28 percentage points to just 13 points. And, call it old-fashioned, but some parents still prefer to care for their preschoolers at home.

Whether in preschools or with parents, a recent study of children entering kindergarten by the Department of Education found that kids are in top shape on factors kindergarten teachers say are the most important for school readiness--physical health, enthusiasm, and curiosity. In terms of concrete reading and math skills, nearly all, 94 percent, are proficient at recognizing numbers, shapes and counting to 10, and two in three know their ABCs.

It's also in the early years when American students are most competitive internationally. Consider France, England, Denmark, Spain and Belgium where more than 90 percent of 4-year-olds attend public preschools. International tests show that by age 9, when the benefits of preschool should be most apparent, American children outscore nearly all of their universally preschooled peers on tests of reading, math, and science.

While American children start school better prepared than ever, the overall performance of older students continues to decline. Tests show that by eighth grade, Americans start sliding down the international curve. By 12th grade, they hit bottom. The reasons for that decline are debatable-maybe it's low parental involvement, maybe it's cultural change, maybe it's stagnant government schools or some combination thereof. But one thing is certain, it's time to stop blaming preschoolers for the nation's education woes.

In any case, the desirability of programs like Head Start and universal preschool should not hinge only on whether preschool works. More basic is the moral question of whether the government should entrench itself still further in the schooling of children. On this question, both presidential contenders are swimming against a powerful tide--witness the increasing demand across the states for alternatives to government-run schools and the growth of multi-million-dollar private scholarship funds, homeschooling, voucher initiatives and tax credits. Parents are working to loosen the government's grip on education, even as politicians are seeking to extend that hold to preschoolers.

After 35 years without success, it's time politicians reconsider the wisdom of Head Start. When they do, it will be time to let the program go.

This article appeared in the Human Events on September 1, 2000.

© 2000 The Cato Institute

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:26 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: